Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bike Rack????

yea, the Curt Hitch was disappointingly ugly for me, I was hoping for more of a "hidden" hitch, it looks like something you bought AM from Pep Boys, I didn't have any choice in the matter, several places said they didn't make hitches for the VX and the only one that said they could do it used this type of hitch
    But, seeing as how I didn't want to cut any cladding and there just aren't that many choices out there, I figured I'd be happy with it in the long run, I don't plan on off-roading much anyway so the loss of ground clearance meant nothing to me

... or you could save ALOT of money and do this:
    especially if you're only getting a hitch to tote your bikes and you do it once every so often.
    don't hate

How do these hitches compare in the distance they protrude outward from the vehicle?
    Looks like the Curt hitch sticks out farther in addition to being lower.

After looking at nfpsgasmasks hitch(the Tone version that doesn't stick out) and mine, I think the Curt hitch sticks down just a wee bit more and out just a wee bit more too. I will try to get some good pics of the Curt hitch I have tonight.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

My bike goes on the roof. Slightly modified the mounts and they slid right into the factorry roof rack grooves. If your 5'7 or taller getting the bike up there isn't that hard.

Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Bike Rack

I have a Yakima Raptor rack and a Yakima Ankle Biter for my VX. The Ankle Biter came with a previous vehicle and I kept it when I sold the car. Both work just fine and attach to my Yakima roof rack. I prefer the Raptor, it is easier to attach/detach the bike and doesn't require the key/key lock like the biter.

I find the biggest challenge with a roof rack system is hefting the bike onto the roof and trying to attach it while holding it up. Easier with two people, but when I am by myself it is a bit of challenge holding onto the VX, hefting the bike, and attaching same to the bike rack. Probably easier to get a rear-mount rack.

If you do decide to go with the roof rack bike rack I do have extra aerodynamic mounting clips that I could be persuaded to send along if you need them.
    DeepSilentComplete :coolr:

He postulated that cognitive simulacra might one day approximate component models of the psyche.

Wink

I don't do any serious off-roading with this set-up; but, it works for me!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?