Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bike Rack????

Bike Rack????

I am about purchase two bikes and need to know of the best or any options for a bike rack.

I tried searching for bike racks but did not find enough info.

Is there anyone out there with a bike rack on the VX. If so how easy are they to take off becuase I do not want to have the rack on at all times.

Im guessing the best option would be to get a hitch and get a universal rack for the rear?

Are there any roof rack mounts for the VX?

Need some insight.

Thanks

Well, here is one option if you have a hitch. I went with this for easy of loading, what have you - John

http://www.bikerackshops.com/SG64625.html
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

i bought a yakima universal bike mount for my roof rack... got it home, installed it, went to put a bike on it... packed it back up and took it back

it was a MAJOR pita to get a bike on the roof of the vx.. its just too tall.. it was just a matter of time before i dropped a bike on my roof or the side of my vx... i would recommend getting a hitch and a hitch mounted bike rack.. i sent tone an order for one of his tow hitches on friday, he had his fabricator start on it the same day and it will be shipped before he leaves for moab on friday...

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

I love the Sportworks Transport. I've had it a couple years and a very nice setup (for a 2" reciever). Bike on and secure in less than a minute and folds up when not in use. I think Thule bought them out while searching for a 3rd bike addon and any search I do Thule is in there title also. They even go up to a 4th bike addon. Good Luck..

Steve

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

JHarris,

I have a couple of bike racks on my roof, but it's a bit of a paint to get them mounted. Since our cross bars are so wide I hade to get an adapter to mount a secondary smaller bar above the factory cross bar that the bike racks then mount to. It puts them up a little high, but since the racks are connected to the secondary bars all I have to do is unbolt the adapters from the factory cross bars and everything comes off together in one piece. Here's a picture of the set-up at Moab last year. I can take some closer pictures for you if you would like.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

I also went with the hitch mounted bike rack. I'd read so many threads about people having problems finding roof racks b/c there aren't many options out there. Furthermore the hitch mounted racks are surprisingly cheaper. I believe mine is a Thule, it's for two bikes and collapses against the rear door when the bikes aren't on it or you just take it out and put it in the garage where it is now. It doesn't weight all that much, just a little bulky due to the size.

Thanks for the input.
    Looks like Ill be giving tone some more of my money and buying a hitch from him. How easy is that install? Any suggestions or tips?

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385
    Thanks for the input.
    Looks like Ill be giving tone some more of my money and buying a hitch from him. How easy is that install? Any suggestions or tips?
    That style is not to hard to mount, not to hard to fab either and matirials are cheap...measure,measure then measure again..

Some quick important advice: Don't get a Yakima hitch rack. I got a four bike Yakima setup which works wonderfully and folds down so you can open the rear door of the vehicle....just not the VX vehicle, otherwise the rack is great.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Yup, that's the conclusion I came to. No bikes are going on my roof rack. Its just too risky. Now that I have Tone's hitch, I will be buying a hitch mounted rack for my 2 TREKs.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    i bought a yakima universal bike mount for my roof rack... got it home, installed it, went to put a bike on it... packed it back up and took it back

it was a MAJOR pita to get a bike on the roof of the vx.. its just too tall.. it was just a matter of time before i dropped a bike on my roof or the side of my vx... i would recommend getting a hitch and a hitch mounted bike rack.. i sent tone an order for one of his tow hitches on friday, he had his fabricator start on it the same day and it will be shipped before he leaves for moab on friday...

The hitch is great but installing it is NOT fun. Basically, getting at the side torque screws is a real big pain. You will see what I mean if you go this route. Also, drilling the holes is not fun and takes some muscle. Don't attempt it with a cordless drill, make sure you have a good a/c powered drill and buy a separate (throw away) bit for metal so you don't trash your nice wood drill bits. Give yourself a full day to install this because it does take some time/patience. A Dremel is nice to have to cut the cladding away in the center. You could do it with a Sawsall or jigsaw I suppose, but the Dremel makes this nice, easy and clean. Also, if you ever plan on towing, get the brake light kit from Tone at the same time and install that as well.

I love having the hitch, despite the pain it was to install, it is the BEST looking hitch option out there.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385
    Thanks for the input.

So which hitch the
    Frame Mount 2" Receiver Hitch Kit - $179
    Pictures Install Instructions

or the

Dylan / Curt Hitch Kit - $239
    Install Instructions

???

Frame mount is the one you want for ground clearance/appearance. You will have to cut the cladding though. The frame mount is the one Bart was referring to in the above posts.

The Dylan/Curt hitch is this one:

And here is what Tones frame mounted looks like, much cleaner and no clearance problems. Removing the rear cladding is a bit of a pain, depending on how mechanically inclined you are. If you don't have a 1/2 inch drill motor, stop by a tool rental place and rent one along with the correct size drill bit, you will be happy you did, trust me.

ALso, on racks. I tried one of those kind you hang the bikes from and it didn't work worth a darn and was a pain for me, so went with the Hollywood model I listed before: http://www.bikerackshops.com/SG64625.html, but of course there are better and more expensive one's available.

Although, when it is lifted like yours is Jharris, the Curt hitch's lower height becomes a moot point, unless you offroad the way SPAZZ does When I put mine on, I lost a wee bit of departure angle, but the 6" higher I went brought it right back and also protects my cladding so it works great for me.