Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Catalytic Converter

cyrk,
    that would be awsome if you could find ANYTHING. i have looked for magnaflow cats, multiple places, and all i have found are "cat-back exhaust systems". im pretty sure, thats not what im looking for right now. i just need the converters themselves. im not being choosey here, ANY direct fit cat, and i would be happy.
    also getting frustrating is searching sites that sell cats, click on cats, click year make model, then click search, and get to exhaust tips, and mufflers.....errrrrr, no cats anywhere.
    well, thanks in advance for looking,
    david

by the way, in my case, if the aftermarkets are getting replaced wth factorys,(whenever they come in ) i wouldnt want universal fits, right??? dont universal fits have to be welded on. thus loosing the "flange"? (i havent had a chance to ever see the converters in the vx....) OR would they cut the flange off of my old converters, weld them on the universals, then insall em.?
    should i quit looking for direct fit, and think about univeral?

thanks again everyone..
    Last edited by IndianaVX : 08/12/2007 at 10:54 AM Reason: forgot a question...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

I'd go universal in a heartbeat...check out the PAGES of cats on the Summit Racing site...LOTS to choose from.
    Just crawl under with a measuring tape to figure out what you need (diameter/length)...any competent exhaust shop should be able to make them work.

Better yet, have the exhaust shop do the measuring & then have them check out the selection at Summit & make a recommendation.

If you hadn't noticed, August is almost half shot & you have been without your VX for FAR too long.

Good Luck !

This might apply to you or it may help someone else.

The warranty on any 1995 or newer vehicle's catalytic converter is 8-year or 80,000-miles. (epa federal law)

I found this out when I was searching for a replacement cat for my wrangler, I was lucky it feel into the warranty, Free Replacement.

mark,

yeah, thats what mine fell under too. 8yr 80000.... its just trying to find a cat that the dealer will install now......... . i gave the dealer a magnaflow number given to me by another board member, but that cat didnt have a place for the o2 sensor. so the dealer will not install that one.....i guess the o2 sensor HAS to be in the cat???? it cant be put in the pipe before the cat???? i just dont know anymore.
    Last edited by IndianaVX : 08/19/2007 at 12:23 PM Reason: spalling

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaVX
    mark,

yeah, thats what mine fell under too. 8yr 80000.... its just trying to find a cat that the dealer will install now......... . i gave the dealer a magnaflow number given to me by another board member, but that cat didnt have a place for the o2 sensor. so the dealer will not install that one.....i guess the o2 sensor HAS to be in the cat???? it cant be put in the pipe before the cat???? i just dont know anymore.
    Sorry man, I call BS on the dealer.

True (if it was me you're referring to) the cat numbers I gave you do not have O2 ports BUT NEITHER DO THE STOCK.The O2 ports are before and after the cats on the pipe - see image below.

An aftermarket cat would be cut in and the stock O2 sensors would remain.

Let me know if you need more info or another opinion - I've gotten to know my muffler guy very well .

Cheers

kenny ,
    if the cats were "cut in", what position would that leave me in when the factory cats come in, and the dealer installs them. im thinking thats the dealers hangup. i thouht there were flanges on each end on our factory cats. looking at the drawing you posted, i dont see what their problem would be either. and the guy i talked to at that number on the ad, had a cat without the stainless that he said would work. i gave the dealer all this same info, he said he would call me back if he found out they would
    work.
    isuzu does not know when they will start production on the re=engineerred cats.
    isuzu will not tell me why they pulled all the cats off the shelves, leaving no parts redealy available for emmissions.
    sigh................

tommorows friday, ..............time for another phone call, but armed with more info!!

thanks kenny,

Arrow

nope, the stock is not flanged.

Once you have a Magnaflow cat, why go back to stock when it's available? If I understand you correctly...

that is what isuzu is wanting to do. they just want to get me on the road again with the aftermarket cats. i wont be holding my breath on the factory cats though, but yeah, they are replacing the aftermarkets, with new, re=engineered cats when they come in......go figure.......right now, id be happy with anything, as long as my vx is in my driveway again.........

Arrow

cant you just replace them with a straight pipe???
    at your local muff. shop
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

im not sure, but i think that would mess SOMETHING up. o2 sensors would never read right, i dont think, then you would have a constant cel light......no thanks....

without cats you would be putting out a whole lot more pollution... and it probably wouldnt pass any kind of emissions testing for states that have it

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

well, i just found this................

Magnaflow Catalytic Converter - Universal Fit
    Monica: CATALYTIC CONVERTER, 50000 SERIES, UNIVERSAL FIT -- Catalytic Converter, OBD II Compliant, UNIVERSAL Fit, Pre-Converter , May Require Cutting And/Or Welding
    Monica: For $101.22

: http://www.autopartswarehouse.com

will have to call dealer and see if they will put these on..........

Cats

I'm looking at what I need to replace my stock cats. Can anyone tell me what size pipe go in and out of the cats? From the sound of things I will need to purchase a couple of universal ones and have them cut & welded into stock exhaust (I already have someone to do this for me, but just need to have them first). I think I have found a couple but not sure of size input and output, 2", 2.25", 2.5", 3"??? Thanks for your guys help. I've probably missed where this info was before, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghachey View Post
    I'm looking at what I need to replace my stock cats. Can anyone tell me what size pipe go in and out of the cats? From the sound of things I will need to purchase a couple of universal ones and have them cut & welded into stock exhaust (I already have someone to do this for me, but just need to have them first). I think I have found a couple but not sure of size input and output, 2", 2.25", 2.5", 3"??? Thanks for your guys help. I've probably missed where this info was before, sorry.
    2" is the size that worked best on my 99. I would make sure you go with a cat with a heat shield. Stay away from oval cats. There isnt a lot of room up there.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info, appreciate it.