Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Diff Drop Brackets

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

One thing to keep in mind when doing this, for every inch you drop, you also lose the same amount of ground clearance under the front diff.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsymphony View Post
    would it be possible to install these brackets on a stock vx? would there be any negative side effects?

I ask because I'd like to have them for when I do my lift but I probably wont do a lift for a while....
    You probably would want to just keep the brackets around until you do the lift. It's a TON of work to not do everything at once. And if you ever had the intention of putting in a front locker, or re-gearing etc. It'd be a good time to do that too.

I plan on ordering a set, not sure when I'll get around to it though, probably next year . I'd love to install a front ARB at the same time, but I think it's above my mechanical expertise. Any one want to help with that part

[put on hat for anal retentive supplier]

No - you can't get it & wait a year to install - I need your brackets for the next set (I only have 1 spare set).

Yes - you can wait a year to get a set - if welder decides he doesn't want the work, I'll find another (so far he's very interested in keeping it going).

No - I don't know how much they cost yet (we're trying to keep cost down).

Yes - I have plans on providing crossmember drop brackets as well.

No - they're not designed yet but I'm planning for bolt on (no welding or bending required).

Yes - there will be parts I won't be supplying such as the axle seals - I wouldn't recommend reuse & I haven't checked to see if they're readily available.

No - I wouldn't recommend installing the drop brackets if you're not lifted yet.

[take off hat]

I haven't heard back from the welder yet - I'll try to call him soon (but I don't want to bug him - he's working REAL cheap right now).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

would it be possible to install these brackets on a stock vx? would there be any negative side effects?
    No you would never install without a lift. All the effects of doing so would be negative. You lose 2" of ground clearance as Ldub mentioned and your cv angles are now inverted compared to a lift, so you get all of the extra wear and tear of a lift(bad), with worse ground clearance(really bad), and you can't really offroad any better than a minivan now(really really bad). I would buy a set for sure though because they stopped making them before and making your own is very troublesome.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Hey Guys... I am still making the drop diffs... $199 + $12 shipping and if you also want the new crossmember it runs $99 + $15-$20 shipping. You can email me at darlington-offroad@nc.rr.com if you need a set. If you want a set, I accept PayPal, account is same as email

Joe D

This is really good news!!

I'll be ordering a set and a crossmember, but probably won't be for a month or so... Thanks Joe!!

Joe,

Do you have some pix of your bracket - I'd like to compare to the ones I'm having fabricated. I'm also interested in the crossmember drop that you came up with.

Tom

Talked to the welder today. He asked for another week to finish the first set. I'll let you know how they turn out.

I still have not installed mine....I got to knock out that and a boot change. I need to also build a cross member drop.

I emailed Joe Darlington about his drop brackets. He indicated that his are designed with a 1 1/2 inch drop (concerned with interference with steering linkages or something so didn't go to 2 inch drop). He also needs your old mounts to fab the next set. He gave me a link to where he has some pix but I haven't tried to find them yet. His crossmember drop should work for the 2 inch drop as well but not sure.

For some reason I do not have 100% trust in welded drop brackets.....With my little to no exp. with welding and trusting the craftsmanship of a welder. Should I even be the slightest concerned with the structural integrity of welded brackets vs. stock?

Zeus & BigMeat have been running theirs for some time now with no problems. Joe Darlington has been making them for years. Email him with your questions - his addy is earlier in this thread.

I found pix of Joe's version but I didn't download them. They look great. I couldn't see any weld lines & he even paints them to match my Proton.

There was a write up by starchild on the installation that I did grab & create a pdf. I'll try to get it to Moncha ASAP so that he can post it (along with all the other great 'how to's' that I've gotten here). If you want to find it on your own tho: planetisuzoo - hall of fame - look for thread on diff drops by starchild.

The bottom line is that I don't want to take any business from Joe ... but ... his drop is 1 1/2 inch (& look pretty). The one I'm having made is 2 inch (& don't look pretty). The choice is yours.

If you need the install pdf before I get it to Moncha - lemme know & I'll email it.

CD done - just gotta get it in the mail.
    Last edited by tom4bren : 08/20/2008 at 11:04 AM

Joe's diff drop bracket

OK - I'm still post-pic-challenged. It's in my gallery if you want to see it big.
    Last edited by tom4bren : 08/20/2008 at 11:02 AM

The welder brought in the diff brackets yesterday. They look just like BigMeat's. He's cleaning them up now & grinding down some of the weld where the axle housing will mount. I'll post some pix of the final product when he brings them in. Looks like the price will be comparable (slightly less) to Joe's so the only difference will be 2" drop versus his 1 1/2" drop.

I think all said and done I paid $50