Thread: would this be a really bad idea?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

would this be a really bad idea?

I've missed having a convertible.. so I thought maybe I could add canvas ragtop to the vx. a smaller model is avl from the same site.. but how would this impact ridgedness/safety of vx? Also wondering about wind noise... what do you guys think?

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    i've been considering the very same mod... if you do it, be sure to post the results...

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

You guys are nuts, but I am nonetheless curious about the idea. With the proper planning and a little bit of retro-engineering you could probably pull it off nicely, but $$$$! An open air VX would be sweet.

Bart

PS - NICE avatar, Biju. At first I was like, WTF? and then I was like ROTFL!

In order to accomplish this you would have to add support to the roof. The major support beam runs right through the center of the roof just behind the rear of the door. But, just like anything else, if you have the $$$$$$$ you can get it done.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

PS - NICE avatar, Biju. At first I was like, WTF? and then I was like ROTFL!
    OK, I know this is a Moab thing, but what is with this Butters thing anyways?
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

I actually saw a VX in a movie with the top cut off. They never did show any canvas top though.

I wish I could remember what movie it was but the gray matter just ain't what it used to be. Damn, getting old sucks.

BTW. You never could get it to a full ragtop because there would be no support for the windshield or the windows. A sunroof would be nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder
    OK, I know this is a Moab thing, but what is with this Butters thing anyways?

After going up entrance to Elephant hill we had to call a stop because sevral people thought biju aka. BUTTERS was leaking gas. Bottomed out or what have you. After further investigation some thougth it was speaker fluid. (I dunno just what I heard someone shout out.) Well The culprit was busted little butter containers. Kinda liek the ones you get from Grandy's. Now why he was hording them back there we may never know.

he claims he used it for a fresh coat of Wax.

it was about the funniest moment and a memorable one I will never forget. So glad I was there to witness it.
    "It's not sexual harassment, I am just building up your tolerence"-Dumke

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco Rizzo
    I've missed having a convertible.. so I thought maybe I could add canvas ragtop to the vx. a smaller model is avl from the same site.. but how would this impact ridgedness/safety of vx? Also wondering about wind noise... what do you guys think?
    Francesco - have you pursued this anymore? Possibly contacted a few shops for advice/estimates, etc?

Thanks.

-biju.

Looks like if you did chop off just the back you could use an old Isuzu Amigo Fabric top. I used to have one of those. I think keeping the metal over the 2 front seats with a sunroof would be better than a full on convertible and easier and cheaper to fabricate an after market top

the "amigo" route is what i was thinking when i first saw this post. i would think would be the easiest, and cheapest. and the look is great too. not sure if you could just leave the back open, and have a divider back behind the seats, driver, or passenger.

dont knoww.......i like the idea though

looking at that pic of the red one, whats up with the door glass. is that photoshopped too. something looks amis here, and i cant go look at mine. i guess im off to the photo gallery..............i honestly cant remember without looking at another pic.....man, its been a long time............

thats photoshopped too.. the other part of that photoshop was that he wanted to do a gullwing door conversion, if you look you can see the new door lines

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"