Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: would this be a really bad idea?

would this be a really bad idea?

I've missed having a convertible.. so I thought maybe I could add canvas ragtop to the vx. a smaller model is avl from the same site.. but how would this impact ridgedness/safety of vx? Also wondering about wind noise... what do you guys think?

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    i've been considering the very same mod... if you do it, be sure to post the results...

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

You guys are nuts, but I am nonetheless curious about the idea. With the proper planning and a little bit of retro-engineering you could probably pull it off nicely, but $$$$! An open air VX would be sweet.

Bart

PS - NICE avatar, Biju. At first I was like, WTF? and then I was like ROTFL!

In order to accomplish this you would have to add support to the roof. The major support beam runs right through the center of the roof just behind the rear of the door. But, just like anything else, if you have the $$$$$$$ you can get it done.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

PS - NICE avatar, Biju. At first I was like, WTF? and then I was like ROTFL!
    OK, I know this is a Moab thing, but what is with this Butters thing anyways?
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

I actually saw a VX in a movie with the top cut off. They never did show any canvas top though.

I wish I could remember what movie it was but the gray matter just ain't what it used to be. Damn, getting old sucks.

BTW. You never could get it to a full ragtop because there would be no support for the windshield or the windows. A sunroof would be nice though.

I saw the VXo2 convertible(I think it's called) in that horribly boring Mission to Mars movie with Gary Senise.
    42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder
    OK, I know this is a Moab thing, but what is with this Butters thing anyways?

After going up entrance to Elephant hill we had to call a stop because sevral people thought biju aka. BUTTERS was leaking gas. Bottomed out or what have you. After further investigation some thougth it was speaker fluid. (I dunno just what I heard someone shout out.) Well The culprit was busted little butter containers. Kinda liek the ones you get from Grandy's. Now why he was hording them back there we may never know.

he claims he used it for a fresh coat of Wax.

it was about the funniest moment and a memorable one I will never forget. So glad I was there to witness it.
    "It's not sexual harassment, I am just building up your tolerence"-Dumke

Mission to Mars...that was Gary Sinise's ride. Hydrogen-powered, if I recall.

Doesn't Anita know someone who knows someone who knows somebody who has that VX-02? In a top-secret location somewhere?
    OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    Quote Originally Posted by PHO2GR4
    Mission to Mars...that was Gary Sinise's ride. Hydrogen-powered, if I recall.

Doesn't Anita know someone who knows someone who knows somebody who has that VX-02? In a top-secret location somewhere?
    Not top secret... just hidden under a car cover.

The convertable most probably is still in the garage under Isuzu America's building. It was designed to have a "voice activated convertable hard top" , though in reality it has just acool looking fiberglass shell on the back half - no working parts. Not street legal, we only got to drive it around the parking lot.
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Didn't somebody a long time ago chop off the back half portion of a red VX?
    I don't think it was a Foxfire, I think repainted...
    I haven't done drugs in quite a while, but I fondly remember seeing something like that in the archives once...

i know what your talkin about, its a JDM, dont remember the name of the guy offhand, he just photoshopped it, but had planned to chop it eventually because of liking the look.. i do too but i dont know if he ever did

edit.. it was britVX.. heres the photochop... i checked his gallery, this is the most recent upload... wormgod also did a really nice photochop of a targa vx w/ rear removed in this same fashion

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

There it is...
    I knew I had seen that before.

Now that would be kind of cool.

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Francesco Rizzo
    I've missed having a convertible.. so I thought maybe I could add canvas ragtop to the vx. a smaller model is avl from the same site.. but how would this impact ridgedness/safety of vx? Also wondering about wind noise... what do you guys think?
    Francesco - have you pursued this anymore? Possibly contacted a few shops for advice/estimates, etc?

Thanks.

-biju.