Thread: Parking Brake

Parking Brake

Anyone know how to adjust the parking brake? I've got to yank mine up pretty high before it's worth a darn. I've got relatively new pads on the rear so I know pads aren't the issue. I've adjusted parking brakes in the past by going underneath near where they split itghtening some nuts and others by approaching it at the lever itself. If anyone knows and can save me some time hunting for it, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

The pads aren't involved in the parking brake, there are drum brakes on the rear axle, inside the rotor hub that take care of that.
    I'm not sure if you can adjust them internally, as I haven't had mine apart.
    There is an adjustment up under the hump where the cables connect to the parking brake lever.
    Last edited by Ldub : 05/29/2007 at 03:57 AM

thanks LDub, now if you can just dumb it down a little more for me, is this something I can access from the cabin or do I need to go under the VX? Never knew there were tiny drum brakes that were involved with the parking brake, all this time I figured it was working on the rear discs. Oh well. I would have lost that bet! haha

The procedure for both pad adjustment and cable adjustment (plus a few other items ) is available in this down-loadable manual.

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...viewfile&id=20

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Isuzu
    thanks LDub, now if you can just dumb it down a little more for me, is this something I can access from the cabin or do I need to go under the VX? Never knew there were tiny drum brakes that were involved with the parking brake, all this time I figured it was working on the rear discs. Oh well. I would have lost that bet! haha
    You need to check the manual that Trekker kindly provided you with...or crawl under & look.

Arrow

As any mechanic will tell you, an E-brake that won't quite hold usually means that you need new e-brake brake shoes. On the VX and others, they live inside a drum that is built into the rear brake rotor. Not too difficult to replace and well worth the effort.

DO NOT adjust the cable to try to get them to work!! This may seem like a quick fix, but in reality the shoes are nearing their mechanical limit and still won't reliably hold the vehicle on a hill. Adjusting the cable only means you'll have to re-adjust it again once you finally replace the shoes.
    Sold the VX 11-21-07. It was fun while I had it!
    Thanks for all the help.

thanks for the link and the mechanical head's up from our new buddy in Hawaii!