Thread: Pcv

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

berries -n- cream & PCV

I recently did an oil change & replaced the PCV. I gave the old one the "rattle test" and it sounded almost as good as the new one but I replaced it anyway.

I just checked the old one and now that it is cooler it does not rattle at all.

So I would recommend you replace the PCV even if it seems to pass the rattle test.

I have been using the FRAM FV384 is there a better one?
    Last edited by VXR : 06/02/2007 at 04:52 PM

I have used both the FRAM and the Deutsch PCV valves. I personally do not notice a difference.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by VXR
    I recently did an oil change & replaced the PCV. I gave the old one the "rattle test" and it sounded almost as good as the new one but I replaced it anyway.

I just checked the old one and now that it is cooler it does not rattle at all.

So I would recommend you replace the PCV even if it seems to pass the rattle test.

I have been using the FRAM FV384 is there a better one?

After Y'all scared the BeeJeebees out of me on the PCV, I went out and checked mine. It didn't rattle but was clean as a whistle. It still works though because it's just a very simple check valve. I could only get air through in one direction.

If it makes you feel better to replace it if it don't rattle then by all means do so (they are cheap). I prefer to just keep mine clean and make sure it's working properly.

CAUTION: after cleaning it, dry it well before you start blowing into it. Brake cleaner tastes really bad and will burn your eyes pretty bad. (I'm being sarcastic - don't stick things into your mouth after taking them off of your car).

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

My favorite is Purolator # PV-1061.

It's the type with a brass cylinder inside, instead of a spring & ball.

I like em' because you can clean em' out with carb cleaner & re-use them a couple of times.

Also easier to pass/fail with the "rattle test", as they rattle mort distinctly than the spring & ball type.

My two centavos...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub
    My favorite is Purolator # PV-1061.

It's the type with a brass cylinder inside, instead of a spring & ball.

I like em' because you can clean em' out with carb cleaner & re-use them a couple of times.

Also easier to pass/fail with the "rattle test", as they rattle mort distinctly than the spring & ball type.

My two centavos...
    Who sells the purolator ldub?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    I can't remember which it was...Advance Auto or Auto Zone, but it was one of the two.

i get my purolators from advance auto

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"