Thread: magnetic bra

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    met up with spike yesterday, we installed a white bra on his ironman.. the white doesnt match, its much whiter than the victory white paint, at first i thought it almost made the victory white paint look yellowed at first.. after a little bit, it started growing on me, and after an hour or so, i didnt even notice the bra on it.... but it gets dirty really easily

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    .. the white doesnt match, its much whiter than the victory white paint, .... it gets dirty really easily

that's what I was afraid of

Got mine today - I'll go on after the next cleaning and wax.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

jody pm'd me yesterday and informed me that dirt found its way under the magnetic bra on her vx and that the dirt had rubbed on the paint i just went out and took my bra off to see how it looked underneath (LOL) you could see the pattern of the magnet on the hood very faintly from certain angles, just using some spray on detailer and a soft cloth it came right off...

moral of the story, when you install the bra, make sure its warm enough out that you get a near perfect fit, dont want any air bubbles, make sure you clean the you know what out of your hood and bra before putting it on and its not very difficult to take off and reinstall, so for some extra insurance make sure to take the bra off every so often and wash underneath it, bob recommends every month, i will probably clean under mine every 2-3 weeks because i park under a tree that drops all kinds of crap on my vx

yes the bra is easy to take off and put back on (although i have no idea why someone would put a bra on after taking it off ) once the bra has been installed once, it kind of forms to the hood, so its very easy to get it lined up again

I took my bra off

The problem with mine wasn't from dirt, water got underneath it and spread under the whole thing. Bob had installed it when he made it (he waxed the hood first) but he had one small area that kept popping up. We though he got it to lay flat but it must have popped up again at some point and let some rain in. There don't appear to be scratches from it but it affected the clear coat leaving a weird shadowing. We took rubbing compound and tried to buff it out but it didn't go away. Needless to say - I took my bra off (:winkp and don't know if I'll put it back on. I probably should have taken it off the day Bob installed it and waited for a good hot day to put it back on. Make sure to check yours often and keep it clean and dry underneath. Hopefully this was just a fluke thing and you'res will all be fine.

Jody

next time it rains im gonna put my bra to the test to see how it holds up.. i think itll do just fine though with a nice flat installation

well see how it holds up to this and ill post pics

hey all,
    I dont want to hijack, and didnt feel this was worthy of its own thread, but with this new bra reading this has been making me think......i havent ordered mine yet, but im thinking that i will not always have the bra on, and so, im gonna need a way to store it, keep it clean, and KEEP IT FLAT!!! so again, i dont have mine yet so i dont know the design completlely, but i use alot of plastic laminates, or formica, you know, like kitchen countertops.....and cutting me a piece, what??, 18 inches wide by 4 feet?? and glueing it (the laminate), to a same sized piece of steel the same dimensions. and again steel/laminate to like a piece of 3/8 plywood? (again, just thinking out loud to get everyone thinking) anyway, with this set up being about 3/4 thick, if that.

with the laminate, which can be cleaned, waxed, etc for the bra to stick to, it would be flat with the plywood/ steel sheet combination, and a couple of holes in the top, so that it could be hung on a wall or someting.
    just dont know how it would lay on theere, or what would be done with the leading edge..... or if you would just let that hang over the plywood, you guys have em, i dont YET...lol....

again I dont mean to hijack, i just know i, and everyone else is gonna need to find a storage solution......throwin em in back like the vinyl bras aint gonna cut it. i will keep working on it, and maybe this is over complicating things, but thats just what i usually do.

maybe start a new thread, if you come up with some solutions, or pics, and we can keep this thread on topic, i guess.

again thanks for the legwork, i dont have mine yet cause the girls were wanting to get me one for fathers day...........isnt that cool.

david

magnetic bra

Was thinking of putting it on today; but I was in a hurry and I wanted to read directions carefully. It appears that heat is critical to a successful application. Has anyone thought about using a hair dryer? Maybe for the corners that stick up?

I used a heatgun on mine, but I think a powerful hairdryer would do just fine. I only really needed heat on the edges which are bent around the sides anyways. There was a spot or two that raised on the very front edge, but after spending the afternoon in the hot nevada sun they have since disappeared. I was actually very surprised at just how effortlessly this went on. It looks fantastic too. I really need to bedliner my insert though, the faded grey look with the multitude of water spots(which absolutely won't come off) really stands out against the jet black bra.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.