Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: magnetic bra

I took my bra off

The problem with mine wasn't from dirt, water got underneath it and spread under the whole thing. Bob had installed it when he made it (he waxed the hood first) but he had one small area that kept popping up. We though he got it to lay flat but it must have popped up again at some point and let some rain in. There don't appear to be scratches from it but it affected the clear coat leaving a weird shadowing. We took rubbing compound and tried to buff it out but it didn't go away. Needless to say - I took my bra off (:winkp and don't know if I'll put it back on. I probably should have taken it off the day Bob installed it and waited for a good hot day to put it back on. Make sure to check yours often and keep it clean and dry underneath. Hopefully this was just a fluke thing and you'res will all be fine.

Jody

next time it rains im gonna put my bra to the test to see how it holds up.. i think itll do just fine though with a nice flat installation

well see how it holds up to this and ill post pics

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

hey all,
    I dont want to hijack, and didnt feel this was worthy of its own thread, but with this new bra reading this has been making me think......i havent ordered mine yet, but im thinking that i will not always have the bra on, and so, im gonna need a way to store it, keep it clean, and KEEP IT FLAT!!! so again, i dont have mine yet so i dont know the design completlely, but i use alot of plastic laminates, or formica, you know, like kitchen countertops.....and cutting me a piece, what??, 18 inches wide by 4 feet?? and glueing it (the laminate), to a same sized piece of steel the same dimensions. and again steel/laminate to like a piece of 3/8 plywood? (again, just thinking out loud to get everyone thinking) anyway, with this set up being about 3/4 thick, if that.

with the laminate, which can be cleaned, waxed, etc for the bra to stick to, it would be flat with the plywood/ steel sheet combination, and a couple of holes in the top, so that it could be hung on a wall or someting.
    just dont know how it would lay on theere, or what would be done with the leading edge..... or if you would just let that hang over the plywood, you guys have em, i dont YET...lol....

again I dont mean to hijack, i just know i, and everyone else is gonna need to find a storage solution......throwin em in back like the vinyl bras aint gonna cut it. i will keep working on it, and maybe this is over complicating things, but thats just what i usually do.

maybe start a new thread, if you come up with some solutions, or pics, and we can keep this thread on topic, i guess.

again thanks for the legwork, i dont have mine yet cause the girls were wanting to get me one for fathers day...........isnt that cool.

david

When Bob gave me mine, he also gave me a rectangular box to store it in. He says just roll it up, put it in the box and then when you are ready to use it lay it out flat in a warm room for a bit and it will be fine. I believe it's the same box he ships them in.

after about 1000 miles.. my bra is still on looking nice, no signs of damage to the paint, im very pleased

instructions that come with the bra state to store it rolled in its original box, so thats what i'll be doing

Bob e-mailed me today, all orders have now been shipped out, so expect them in the next day or two.. anyone else wanting to order one should do it within the next couple days, bob will be going on vacation this week and not returning until late july, he will be filling orders through the end of the week then 2 week hiatus so get your order in if you are still interested!

Shoot. I wont have time to get my money into my paypal account before then. Will he still give us the discount price when he comes back from the trip?
    42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

magnetic bra

Was thinking of putting it on today; but I was in a hurry and I wanted to read directions carefully. It appears that heat is critical to a successful application. Has anyone thought about using a hair dryer? Maybe for the corners that stick up?

I used a heatgun on mine, but I think a powerful hairdryer would do just fine. I only really needed heat on the edges which are bent around the sides anyways. There was a spot or two that raised on the very front edge, but after spending the afternoon in the hot nevada sun they have since disappeared. I was actually very surprised at just how effortlessly this went on. It looks fantastic too. I really need to bedliner my insert though, the faded grey look with the multitude of water spots(which absolutely won't come off) really stands out against the jet black bra.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

I keep getting bubbles under mine. They may have started with water but they are dry when I take it off. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

So this past weekend I saw Ascinder's magnetic bra. I was on the fence about it until then. It looks really good and looks like it will really help deflect the asteroid belt out here. So I think need one now...

Bart

chances are the bubbles are coming from when you put the trim around the bottom... i noticed when installing spike's that when we would push the trim on, it would bunch the bottom of the bra up some and cause bubbles.. if you can get a second person to help you install it, have them hold the bra flat while you put the trim on, other than that, try to install it after you have been driving for a little while so your hood is nice and warm, that will help the bra mold to your hood

just a friendly reminder.... wax your hood before installation! i would recommend using a "real" wax (as opposed to ice or another liquid synthetic wax) to help protect the hood in the event of a small bit of water or dust getting under the bra

I noticed the bra bunching when I put the trim on but I thought I had gotten it all flat.

Let's see - who don't I like - it was pushing 100 degrees when I put it on so the bra was probably about 160 degrees - blisters anyone.

ETLSPORT - I'll be up your way this weekend to visit the Franklin Institute for the King Tut exhibit. Unfortunately I won't be driving the VX (too many people, so driving the TLC). One day I'll get it up there with it so we can compare notes.

cool tom, if u get some free time let me know.. maybe ill be able to stop by and show ya around the city and the VX, spike is around usually too so maybe he can come too

doh! just realized ill be down your way(ish) in va this weekend lol.. go figure, ill be around philly on friday though if u are up here then let me know

Just incase any of you care to know: My co-worker has one of these magnetic bras on his mitz. eclipse. His bra is about 5 years old and has 2 silver dollar sized warp bubbles. He doesn't store it with care and it shows no cracks and has not left any scuffs on the paint that i can see. He loves his. Just so people have an idea of how theirs will last...