Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: To re-tint or not to re-tint????

Both versions seem to have their own mistique. The old mirror version seemed to give the VX a "spooky mysterious" look which I found somewhat cool looking.

One thing I discovered about "mirrored" tint is that never to put any kind of decal on the exterior of the glass. This prevents the sun from naturally fading the mirror tint as a whole, and when you remove the exterior decal there will be a "ghosted image" of the former decal (not good).

The previous owner of my VX had mirror tint put on the rear-quarter windows. Then, when he was trying to sell the VX, he had custom-made "For Sale" decals made and stuck them on the rear-quarter mirrored windows in an effort to advertise as he was driving around. Upon removal of the exterior "For Sale" decals, there is a ghosted image burned-in by the Sun's ultraviolet rays. To the untrained eye it is hard to see; but in the right light and at the right angle, the ghosted image can be plainly seen (very irritating).

I do like "colored" mirror tint that augments the vehicle's paint color. Yellow/Gold Mirror for Proton, Green Mirror for Dragon, Red Mirror for Firefox, Graduated Black Mirror for Ebony, etc. This seems to be a cool effect, along with color-coordinated wheels on the same theme.

I'll also go for the black limo tint my friend,i guess all of us can't be mistaken.

I though about the mirror looking when i made my mind to tint my windows,but didn't like how it looked.
    Dakar was just the begining.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    ya, mine still has the mirror tint on it..

i actually like it...isnt nearly as dark as black tint but shades out exterior view better than black...

i have had my DYE sticker on the back of my VX since i bought it (2004 i think), and i just removed it about a week ago...havent noticed any ghosting yet...but haven't looked at it very closely
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

No No No, you should not have changed the tint to match the black, you should have changed the car paint to match the window tint! Silver mirror paint all over. Yeah, thats the ticket.

- Os

Do you mean something like this:
    http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...user/1934/sl/p

I think Petos left the site (and the US) before you got here. It was quite the VX to see in person.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

I was thinking something even brighter, and less mulitcolored, like this:
    http://www.toyotacelicamodifications.com/chromebmw.htm

But thanks for those pics, I was not aware someone had done a semi-mirror finish on a VX. What procedure did you use?

- Os

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Do you mean something like this:
    http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...user/1934/sl/p

I think Petos left the site (and the US) before you got here. It was quite the VX to see in person.

That's pretty crazy. I would be afraid to lean against it because I would put a smudge on it and then have to shine it up again.

From what I remember Petos bought the VX like that (I think it had a MASSIVE stereo system in it before he got it) and as you can see in some of the pictures the mirror finish is peeling off, or at least the clear coat is. Petos sold the VX before he headed back across the pond and he checks in every now and then so maybe he'll speak up about the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    From what I remember Petos bought the VX like that and as you can see in some of the pictures the mirror finish is peeling off, or at least the clear coat is. Petos sold the VX before he headed back across the pond.
    MSHardeman--- Yes, PETOS (2nd owner) bought his VX already customized that way by the previous owner. The previous and original owner-customizer went by the Vehicross.Info "handle" name: RICKSTER.

Rick (or Rickster) is a professional automotive customizer and made many custom mod's to his VX including special chameleon painted cladding and shaved door handles. In early June 2008, PETOS (a native from Russia who was temporarily living/going to school in the USA), was hurting for money and sold the customized VX before returning back to Russia. Ironically; the new 3rd owner lived in Russia too, and had RICKSTER's customized VX shipped over to Russia (never to be heard from again). For additional information, do a forum "search" for: RICKSTER

check you local laws about how much tint you can have....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    yup, also, the coolest part in my mind was that he rhino-lined the whole interior from the front seats back

Ah I am not too worried about the local laws of tint. Its 35% on the front and 25% the rest. I did 5% all around.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Does anyone have those tints that "fade" from reflective silver to the regular tint black on their VX?

As cheesy as it looks on some cars, I think it would be perfect for the VX. Anyone have a picture? I am currently heavily tinted, but would consider redoing them since the one on the driver's window got scratched up at the shop once.