Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rear View Camera, mirror mount

Arrow Rear View Camera, mirror mount

I bought this on ebay today. Should have it by the weekend. I'l post pics of the installation on this thread.

More info? Click here.

Now I'll be able to see those pesky quarterbacks behind my car!!
    Sold the VX 11-21-07. It was fun while I had it!
    Thanks for all the help.

hooray for viewsonic! thats the company i got my monitor from.. its nice.. you have to have the video on the right settings for the right time of day or its a little hard to see the screen.. let us know how the camera works out, id like to put one in my vx but dont wanna spend money on somethin that isnt gonna make a big difference

on second look, the auction doesnt say its viewsonic.. but the remote is identical to the one for my viewsonic monitor

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Arrow Cool!!

Here it is installed! It took about two & a half hours.

I put a stuffed toy out as bait to see what the dogs look like in it.
    I can see to within about 12" from the back of the VX. Way cool. I used it last night to paralell park in town. It kicks into night vision mode when the light is low. Everything has a greenish tint but you can see it fairly clearly.

Love it!

Install was easy peasy!
    I'll post some pics of the installation process later...
    Last edited by Dino : 06/15/2007 at 09:34 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Dino
    Here it is installed! It took about two & a half hours.

I put a stuffed toy out as bait to see what the dogs look like in it.
    I can see to within about 12" from the back of the VX. Way cool. I used it last night to paralell park in town. It kicks into night vision mode when the light is low. Everything has a greenish tint but you can see it fairly clearly.

Love it!

Install was easy peasy!
    I'll post some pics of the installation process later...
    Can you take that screen out and mount it in another place? Where did you mount your camera?

Dang Dino, didn't you JUST get your VX? Way to mod that sucker up.

Welcome to the obsession.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Hey dino can u take a picture back away from the video i want to see how big that rear view mirror is. Like take one zoomed out from passanger seat or from front of truck or something. many thanks.
    "It's not sexual harassment, I am just building up your tolerence"-Dumke

Well, here's this shot of the kit, pre-install.

The mirror is about the same width as the stock one. It clips on with two rubber padded spring clamps. It effectively covers the switches for the stock map lights. You loose them with this kit installed.

I didn't like that very much, so I modded it further.

I'll be posting more pics later... busy Saturday morning.
    Last edited by Dino : 06/16/2007 at 01:09 PM

Arrow

So... as promised, pics of the rear view camera install.

First, I removed the rear plastic blister where the factory camera mounts.

It has a plastic insert that I first glued in place, then I drilled a 1" hole in it to mount the camera.

Then I mounted the camera in it. It's waterproof and it also came with an o-ring so it seals itself up on the outside. It also has two beveled rings to allow for precise angle mounting.

Here's the cam and blister installed

The video cable and power wires got installed next. I poked a hole in the rubber gromet in the camera bay and inserted the wires.

Next comes the fun stuff. I removed this rubber boot that the wires to the tailgate run through. It's right there in the door jam. I've lightened the background in this pic.

Then I ran a wire snake through the boot. What's a wire snake? Well Here I used a piece of 1/4" vinyl tubing. I've also used large wire ties. Anything that will safely poke through the boot so you can snake the wires through by taping them to the snake. I used a little tire restore juice to lube the boot first.

Once through the boot, I had to get it into the side panel. It's a bit hidden, but if you remove the jack and reach up and left, you'll feel where the boot and wires come through the door jam.
    Here you can see the snake and wires routed through the passage, ready to pull through.

Now after reinstalling the boot, I had my wires through and coming out of the jack bay. I decided to install my camera ground wire in there so I filed and area clean and ran a fresh self tapping screw into the sheetmetal. It's a brace so there's no danger of going through the hull of the ship Captain!

Then it was a matter of tucking the wire under the side panel and working my way forward towards the fuse panel area.

I easily tucked the wires under the door sill. (I later pulled it up and put them under the carpet)

Now I had the wires at the fuse panel. I decided to get power for my camera from the cigar lighter fuse. I removed the lower dash panel and exposed the fuse panel...

...then after removing the plastic clip and one screw, I slid it forward to remove it.

I found the wire I wanted by looking at the back of the panel. It turned out to be the brown/white wire. It is switched with the key and it's fused with the cigar lighter. This is where I connected my main 12V+ power lead.

I needed a good grounding point for the system up front (power filter and monitor) so I decided to take advantage of the M6 bolt just below the fuse panel.

Next I needed to find the reverse light wire. This would make my camera and monitor come on when in reverse gear. After finding the color of it in the back panel where I previously saw the wires, I looked in the bundle of wires that ran down towards the floor behind the drivers kick panel. It's the red/yellow wire you see here.

OK now I had to get the cable from the power filter to my monitor. YEP! The wire snake to the rescue!! First I fed it down from the top...

...then attached the cable with some tape and pulled it through.

Next I ran the cable up the a-pillar, removed the sun visor, pulled the headliner down a bit and tucked it in.

And there you have it!

Oh yeah... the monitor mod... I'll get pics of that up later too.

Hope you enjoyed this journey through my VX!
    Last edited by Dino : 06/17/2007 at 09:37 AM

great how-to....should this be added to teh how-to section?

Here's what I did to the monitor to get it to stay on the visor mirror. I put pieces of auto-trim double sided tape on it and just stuck it on!

It should stay there for a while until I can fabricate a nice elclosure for it.

It's hard to tell from the pictures. Is the camera wide angle enough? Do you see enough? Or is it a narrow view?

105 degrees of viewing range. It's fine.

I moved the monitor yesterday. Up on the visor was just too close to the eyes. I decided I wanted it on the dash panel.

The bicycle pictured is about a foot from the back of VX. This will give you a better idea of viewing range.

First I moved the stock audio head unit DOWN to where the CD changer WAS. I had to extend the wires about 18" which was the bulk of the work. It works fine there, just no more CD changer. I'll be replacing it soon anyway.

So, that opened up the whole top DIN slot and I put the monitor there with some sticky back.( Love that stuff for prototyping. )

It's much better in the center of the dash. My eyes just fall on it easily as I back up and look left mirror, center monitor, right mirror etc. Plus, if I ever install a DVD player, GPS, car computer etc. I can use it as a central monitor anyone can see.
    Last edited by Dino : 06/19/2007 at 09:48 AM Reason: Update

Quote Originally Posted by Dino
    Well, here's this shot of the kit, pre-install.

The mirror is about the same width as the stock one. It clips on with two rubber padded spring clamps. It effectively covers the switches for the stock map lights. You loose them with this kit installed.

I didn't like that very much, so I modded it further.

I'll be posting more pics later... busy Saturday morning.
    Hey Dino!

I got that same rear view mirror monitor kit off of ebay... I don't know much about wiring but I will have some help from people that do. I will print out your thread and follow it as an instruction booklet for my installation! Thanks for writing this thread I will let you know how my installation goes and hopefully posts a few pictures of it... thanks again!

Alexander.

Arrow

Cool!

I have put the thing BACK on the visor. Just works out better there.

Good luck with the install...
    Last edited by Dino : 07/30/2007 at 04:30 PM

So bandit, how bad was it with the viewer on the sun visor? That would be the only option I would have or the passengers sun visor. I mean, it's not like you would be watching a video, just a 'check 6' glance.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.