Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My mode position switch came in today!!!

Thumbs up My mode position switch came in today!!!

Soooo that means once i get it installed no more crappy shifting!!! Wooo hooo!!! Me and SilverBullet are going to get together and install it! YAY! Another learning experience for Cece!!!
    ~*~Cece~*~

- Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

your what?

you mean that shift adjuster thingy that Tone has?

Quote Originally Posted by cyronman
    your what?

you mean that shift adjuster thingy that Tone has?
    It's called a mode switch, position switch, mode position switch or whatever...it is known to fail on the VX for whatever reason and it causes my vx to shift very hard from 2nd to 3rd gear. It sounds like a hard clunk and then it kicks...it's really weird. It doesn't happen all the time...and it seems to reset everything if you turn it off and then back on again. there are a few other posts about the problem. that's how i diagnosed my problem. My symptoms were identical to the others. I don't believe Tone has it...I ordered my part from St. Charles Isuzu. Be glad you haven't had this problem yet. It makes me cringe everytime i hear it.

This is the Winter/Power switch on the console, right?
    What is the part number and how much was it?

i dont think thats it, i believe the mode position switch is a small (about 1.5" square and 1" tall) tan box that is located under the center console... if you are loooking for the winter/power mode switch though i see them all the time at scrap yards in rodeos, shoot me a pm and ill pick you one up, probably will cost about 10 bucks

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by VXIRONwoMAN
    and it causes my vx to shift very hard from 2nd to 3rd gear. It sounds like a hard clunk and then it kicks...it's really weird.
    I'm not saying it ISN'T the switch you ordered...& this is just a long shot, but a possibility.
    I had the same symptom with mine while in the "fine tuning" stages of installing the previously mentioned shift kit from Tone.
    It's possible that the previous owner installed the kit & it needs adjustment.
    The likely location of the adjustment module would be on the drivers side, up under the engine, where the exhaust pipe comes down from the manifold.
    You would have to crawl under & look really hard to find it.( I have a difficult time finding mine sometimes, & I installed it. )

Just throwing it out there as a "maybe", in case the new switch doesn't solve your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub
    I'm not saying it ISN'T the switch you ordered...& this is just a long shot, but a possibility.
    I had the same symptom with mine while in the "fine tuning" stages of installing the previously mentioned shift kit from Tone.
    It's possible that the previous owner installed the kit & it needs adjustment.
    The likely location of the adjustment module would be on the drivers side, up under the engine, where the exhaust pipe comes down from the manifold.
    You would have to crawl under & look really hard to find it.( I have a difficult time finding mine sometimes, & I installed it. )

Just throwing it out there as a "maybe", in case the new switch doesn't solve your problem.
    Thanks Big Brother!!! We will see if the problem persists after installation...I am still waiting to hear from SilverBullet. My problem has gotten progressively worse and is an eveyother day occurance and is now shifting slightly funny from 1st to 2nd, really bad between 2nd and 3rd and slightly funny between 3rd and 4th...so....i really hope this works. if not...I am going with Plan B (what ever Big Bro says! ) OH...it also randomly says that my Winter Drive is on when it isn't and It says it's in reverse/neutral/Park when i put it in drive when i have this aweful problem...any suggestions? I can't wait to have it fixed!

What happens sometimes with Tone's AutoTrans Interceptor Adjustable Electronic Shift Kit is that there's a faulty connection that causes the tranny to lose signal during shifts - it can happen if the connectors aren't completely together (they'll slide apart slightly causing a break in connectivity) or if the wires aren't tied down properly they can wear against the frame or exhaust - the exposed wire causes shorting that can also cause symptoms like you describe. I've heard about the first happening to some members in the past, and actually experienced the second - the zip tie I used to bind the module up broke, causing the module to swing freely - the wires melted against the exhausted and was causing rough shifts for me.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyapollo
    What happens sometimes with Tone's AutoTrans Interceptor Adjustable Electronic Shift Kit is that there's a faulty connection that causes the tranny to lose signal during shifts - it can happen if the connectors aren't completely together (they'll slide apart slightly causing a break in connectivity) or if the wires aren't tied down properly they can wear against the frame or exhaust - the exposed wire causes shorting that can also cause symptoms like you describe. I've heard about the first happening to some members in the past, and actually experienced the second - the zip tie I used to bind the module up broke, causing the module to swing freely - the wires melted against the exhausted and was causing rough shifts for me.

-- John
    Thanks! I will have to look into it. I don't believe the previous owner had any work done to it. They weren't even a member here. I am the 2nd owner...bought her with 16K miles. But we will see if they installed Tone's kit when I get this switch installed. Thanks Again!
    ~Cece

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by VXIRONwoMAN
    OH...it also randomly says that my Winter Drive is on when it isn't and It says it's in reverse/neutral/Park when i put it in drive when i have this aweful problem...any suggestions? I can't wait to have it fixed!

NOW ya got me scratchin' my head little sister...hope your new switch is the fix!

I bet it is your mode switch.

I had the same symptoms and one of the tell tail signs is the reverse/neutral/Park thingy and hard shifts in the gears.
    I also have the shift kit and it was unrelated to that.

Good Luck with it.

-Dave

IRONwoMAN-

did you diagnose this problem from searching around here @.info?
    I thought I had heard of all the issues to expect on the VX, but I hadn't heard of this one.
    Also, was the switch easy to find?

JOHNNYAPOLLO-
    Thanks!
    it was the AutoTrans Interceptor Adjustable Electronic Shift Kit I was thinking of. That does sound better than shift thingy, doesn't it...

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    i dont think thats it, i believe the mode position switch is a small (about 1.5" square and 1" tall) tan box that is located under the center console... if you are loooking for the winter/power mode switch though i see them all the time at scrap yards in rodeos, shoot me a pm and ill pick you one up, probably will cost about 10 bucks
    Thanks, etl. The winter/power switch is not what I need tho. I called Merlin at St. Charles and he gave me a part # of 8960175110 with shipped price of $135, however he said this switch is on the side of transmission, not under the console. When I checked that part # on the isuzuparts.com site, it came back as a neutral safety switch Do you know the part # for the mode position switch you are referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by cyronman
    IRONwoMAN-

did you diagnose this problem from searching around here @.info?
    I thought I had heard of all the issues to expect on the VX, but I hadn't heard of this one.
    Also, was the switch easy to find?

JOHNNYAPOLLO-
    Thanks!
    it was the AutoTrans Interceptor Adjustable Electronic Shift Kit I was thinking of. That does sound better than shift thingy, doesn't it...

I did diagnose the problem from searching on vx.info. There are quite a few other threads on it...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ht=mode+switch

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ht=mode+switch

I haven't yet installed it...so easy to find on the car? I will let you know...I hear it is really easy to find... Easy to locate as a part? Yes! I called St. Charles Isuzu, talked to Merlin, and they knew exactly what i was talking about. They charged me $135 shipping was included. It's normally $158 and some change...They gave me an "internet discount" because I mentioned vx.info.

oh yeah...AutoTrans Interceptor Adjustable Electronic Shift Kit does sound better than shift thingy... :bgwg:

i could be wrong about where the mode position switch is.. i was taking a semi educated guess, vxironwoman would know better than me what it looks like

edit.. yea looking though those other threads it looks like its on the side of the transmission.. not sure what the thing im thinking of is lol
    Last edited by etlsport : 06/13/2007 at 01:17 PM