Thread: Remote starter

Remote starter

Never owned one but have always thought about doing this. Now that my VX starts like normal due to the replaced PITA fuel pressure regulator. It is now an option I would like to look into.

Does anyone on here have one or use one on another car.
    Or does anyone have an opinion about a certain one to get or not to get?

Im most likely going to get off of ebay.

Well, I had the dealer install an aftermarket alarm/remote start since this is my first ever automatic and I will be honest, I LOVE IT, the remote start that is. On hot days which are rare here, it's great to climb into a cooling car and on the cold mornings, oh yea. I also like giving that motor a few minutes to push the oil around and do some expanding and what have you.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Yes i do agree i had one put in mine and it is the greatest thing ever. Get a nice one and it reaches far no matter if your inside a building or not.

I have heard some models advertise ranges anywhere from 1000' to a half mile, but I haven't heard any reports on how accurate that statement is, or how long those batteries are expected to last pumping out signals like that. I have been eyeballing these for awhile too. Has anyone heard how hard they are to install? They are currently selling these over at the Summit Racing warehouse in the clearance section. I think they are made by Cobra and include, or can be coupled up with a fully featured security system(which is also on clearance BTW).
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.

compustar...

CompuSTAR. As part of my security system I have their new PRO series.

Great functionality. Solid/TRUE range as advertised. Warning though - new PRO series requires a "OP500" computer (programer) to customize remote/brain functions. Make sure your installer has access to one if you go with this brand.

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

I have a CompuSTAR: http://www.compustar.com/main.htm

I started to put it in myself but got confused (the install isn't typical) and found a local "authorized" dealer to do it for me. If you purchase outside their network they don't honor the warranty or provide support. The unit advertizes a 6000' range and uses spread spectrum technology borrowed from the military. If you're under the vehicle, the metal body can block the signal, so if I'm on the ground floor and parked above, it won't work until I'm a few hundred feet from the VX. On the other hand, I'm currently working at the Turner campus in downtown Atlanta and I can start the VX from my office, several buildings away, even if I'm parked in the concrete parking garage (I'm oriented above the VX). It's also nice to start the VX when parked at a distance from a mall exit. The main advantage in the south is to have the AC going long before you get to the truck, so you don't fry when you get in it (it's come in handy a couple of times when traveling in the north in winter to warm up the VX). I've also got the rear popper tied to the third button on hard press (there are 4 buttons with two functions each). The other advantage is that the remote is 2-way, so when something happens to the VX I hear chirps on the remote and an LCD shows what it is (shock, window breakage, door, etc - it also shows when the VX is started). The alarm does do a job sucking juice when armed - if I leave it armed for longer than about 5 days it drains the Optima to the point where it won't start - I usually just lock the doors and don't bother arming when parked for an extended period - after you've had a hard time starting a few times you learn (something to think about if you park it in long term parking at the air port).

In all I'm very happy with it and recommend it if it's not beyond your budget (it's one of the pricier units on the market). The only extras I've put on the alarm is a mercury switch that cuts the engine if the hood is raised (safety and to file theft). There are a few buttons I haven't programmed where I can use it to control the windows, lights or other effects - I just haven't bothered with it.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

i didnt get why is that sucking all the energy? what if i have regular battery then in 2 days it will die...