Thread: Big Bright Driving Lights

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Take a look at some of the desert race trucks. They have some real cool set ups that can be folded down...i'm sure it wouldn't be hard to make removable. You just need to incorpate a weather proof plug for the electrical. The desert truck set up allows you to remove all the lights as one unit.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

at the moment i just have wiring under the hood that i run up the windshield when i want to use the lights.. very crappy yea but i just havent worked up the cajones to take off the rail.. but yea a weatherproof plug is the idea once its there... yea the one i built for the coleman basket is made to be easily removable in theory... like i said just have to figure out the hardware for mounting, im pretty sure i have it figured out, i just dont have that basket on anymore so ive never bothered trying it

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Cool, I was actually thinking of getting a piece of metal cut to the same size/shape of the faring and then just fabbing something up to attach the lights to that. So then I just need to have a wire going to my battery and with a relay attached that runs to a switch inside? Is that how it works? I really have no idea.

Thanks - Bart

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    at the moment i just have wiring under the hood that i run up the windshield when i want to use the lights.. very crappy yea but i just havent worked up the cajones to take off the rail.. but yea a weatherproof plug is the idea once its there... yea the one i built for the coleman basket is made to be easily removable in theory... like i said just have to figure out the hardware for mounting, im pretty sure i have it figured out, i just dont have that basket on anymore so ive never bothered trying it

here is the wiring diagram i drew up for my lights.. the mount that i made i used an L shaped piece of aluminum with "wings" that sit on the outside of the basket then matched the edge to the curve of the basket in the corners

Sweet, thanks. But with your diagram here, you have to have the keys in and turned to run your lights, correct?

If I want my lights to come on via a switch when my keys are out, do I still need a relay?

Thnaks - Bart

[QUOTE=etlsport
    here is the wiring diagram i drew up for my lights.. the mount that i made i used an L shaped piece of aluminum with "wings" that sit on the outside of the basket then matched the edge to the curve of the basket in the corners[/QUOTE]

depends where the constant power from the dash comes from, i should have specified, i have the distribution block for my amps behind the dash, so basically its wired directly to the battery

the relay is there because most switches that you would want on your dashboard are not capable of handling 20-30 amps that your lights will require, so by using a relay, you will get more power out of your lights and not risk blowing up your switches, so you use the switch to give a small amount of power to the relay, which then allows the main power from the battery to flow to the lights

OK, I see. Thanks. I was thinking of getting a switch to replace the blank on in my center console. Or I could do one up on the dash. What do you guys suggest?

Thanks - Bart

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    depends where the constant power from the dash comes from, i should have specified, i have the distribution block for my amps behind the dash, so basically its wired directly to the battery

the relay is there because most switches that you would want on your dashboard are not capable of handling 20-30 amps that your lights will require, so by using a relay, you will get more power out of your lights and not risk blowing up your switches, so you use the switch to give a small amount of power to the relay, which then allows the main power from the battery to flow to the lights