Thread: Canada mod ban?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Canada mod ban?

From a clip in an online news article posted on NASIOC....

Ontario moves to seize cars juiced up for street racing

TORONTO (Jun 21, 2007)

The government has the power to seize and destroy cars that have been adapted for street racing, and can do so before a race takes place or any charges are laid, Ontario Attorney General Michael Bryant said yesterday.

Car junkies who pour thousands of dollars into their vehicles to make them as fast as possible are wasting their money, Bryant said.

He warned potential racers that all it takes is a tip from police to seize and destroy their cars.

"If we can establish someone has parts and they're juicing up their car -- obviously for the purpose of street racing -- then we can seize those vehicles,'' Bryant said.

"We will seize it and you will never see it again. We will crush your car, we will crush the parts."

obviously for the purpose of street racing - THAT part really gets me.... so, because I put the S/C in my VX, I am a criminal? It is rumoured that Cali is proposing a similar standard. As Ldub says.... we need more chlorine in the gene pool.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

CA already has local task forces that target specific race scenes or trouble spots. they can impound the vehicle if it is being driven on the street with illegal parts (mostly illegal due to emissions control or safety...). But in the US your car is your private property. the government has as much right to destroy your car as i have a right to destroy your car (i.e. none at all). This new Canadian rule is very similar to some European countries (Italy specifically)

It's already been done in Cali. Saw some photos on NASIOC OT, the cars were seized from people caught street racing and crushed.

Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

[QUOTE=ZEUS]http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070620/...ushed_hot_rods
    QUOTE]
    Nevermind that both of the vehicles had stolen parts, the value of which constitutes a felony... And it isnt like the police are jsut going out and crushing cars, it requires a court order, ussually steming from a conviction. Law enforcement goes after the modifications as street racing is a crime of opportunity, one that starts quickly and is over quickly and is therefore very difficult to catch. Often agencies are not even able to pursue a fleeing suspect due to pursuit policies. It's quite frustrating.

Street racing kills somebody in the greater Sacramento area on average, monthly.
    Just a few quick examples:
    March 29, 2007: Police Seek Murder Charge Following Fatal Street Race (results)
    February 27, 2007: Street Racing Suspected In Fatal Stockton Crash
    February 24, 2007: 2 Arrested In Fatal Street Racing Crash
    February 19, 2007: 2 Dead In Suspected Street Racing Crash
    February 12, 2007: Teen Killed In Apparent Street Racing Crash
    February 2, 2007: Driver Killed In Street Racing Crash
    January 14, 2007: Woman Killed In Suspected Street Racing Crash (result)
    September 12, 2006: Sacramento Wreck Blamed On Street Racing
    August 31, 2006: Motorcyclist Dies In Head-On Collision In Elk Grove
    July 21, 2006: Street Racing Suspected In Fatal Wreck
    1999 Lotus VX Ironman Edition
    It's fun to rebadge...

so 34 ppl died due to street racing in 8 years in toronto.....and ppl get their cars crushed. i wonder how many people die from OD on medication, or cellphones while driving in those pass 8 years......

Quote Originally Posted by MZ-N10
    so 34 ppl died due to street racing in 8 years in toronto.....and ppl get their cars crushed. i wonder how many people die from OD on medication, or cellphones while driving in those pass 8 years......
    As I see it, this is the root problem with American and western society today - we will NEVER be 100% risk free. Life is fatal.

All of these attempts to prevent statistically negligible, but very vivid fatalities just end up wasting taxpayer money and making the population more dependent on the whims of the state. There are a lot better things to spend our capital on that silliness like this.

[QUOTE=TEN36VX]
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070620/...ushed_hot_rods
    QUOTE]
    Nevermind that both of the vehicles had stolen parts, the value of which constitutes a felony... And it isnt like the police are jsut going out and crushing cars, it requires a court order, ussually steming from a conviction.
    Well, supposedly, my albino ferret that my old roommate let escape was previously stolen too, which is why the animal shelter wouldn't let me have him back when I figured out where he was. They asked to see a receipt for something I had owned for 2 years! Although I bought that ferret from a store, I did not have a receipt, so they confiscated my pet... luckily they didn't crush him... or did they???

I don't condone street racing but I don't condone everything the government does either.

As Will Rogers said, "Thank god we don't get all the government we pay for".
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

OK when do they sieze and burn modified boats? Hey let's not stop there!
    What about modded skateboards?? Hey I know! Let's crush cars if their stereo is too loud!!

That ***** is messed up!!!!!!!
    Sold the VX 11-21-07. It was fun while I had it!
    Thanks for all the help.

my dad put a high compression head on his 29 model A, i guess its gonna be next in line to be crushed.........

all u vxers with sc better watch out.....

Hell, all you PV users better be looking over your shoulder! I wunder what constitutes a "performance mod" in their book. Bigger, more aggressive tire "perfom" better off road...if I am visiting Canada and creep over the posted speed limit will they crush my VX...Eh? At least in Ca you have to get stopped for racing or be found to have stollen parts on your vehicle.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)