Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buzzing sound in passenger side door?

Buzzing sound in passenger side door?

Hey all! I just got my vehicross and love it! There is this REALLY annoying buzzing sound which seems to be coming from the passenger side door. I tried messing with the locks and windows but can't seem to stop it. It happens sporatically but mainly when I go 20mph or more. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can troubleshoot this problem? I fixed a nasty rattle where the spare tire is but can't seem to figure this one out. Thanks a lot in advance!
    Last edited by logan5 : 06/26/2007 at 06:48 PM

disconnect the electrics going to your door, if the sound is still present it's probably vibration in the window mechanism.
    VX : CLOSEST THING TO A CONCEPT CAR!

I think it's your passenger door window assembly...notorious for breaking.

Pull the interior door panel. You may find that part of it has physically separated (or even flat-out broken) off of the glass.

If there's nothing obvious, just keep that door panel off and drive around for awhile, holding on to various parts of that door to try to locate and stop the source of the rattle. It may help to actually have a passenger sitting next to you!
    OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate

What Pho2Gr4 is talking about is a harmonic vibration. really annoying. I wrote a thread here about outside door handle repair. The inside panel removal is covered in the thread in case you have never removed one before. http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...warticle&id=22
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Wow, thanks everyone for the fast replies. Looks like I have my work cut out for me I'll see if I can locate the problem using all the info on this thread and report back!

Before you go pulling your door apart check to make sure it's not your glove box door. I tried to find a vibration induced rattle/buzz for months, and then yesterday, while on a bad stretch of road I opened the glove box to see if there was something in it that was rattling. I noticed that the door rattle sounded a lot like the rattle I had been chasing, but different. I put a polishing cloth between the door and the dash and closed the glove box door and the rattle went away. When I got home I put a small felt pad on each flat spot on the door where the rubber bumpers hit, and this was enough to tighten the door and stop the rattle. A slight adjustment to the door catch would accomplish the same thing, but I already had the felt pads handy.
    It's worth a shot.
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

I tried driving with the passenger side door open and still had the buzz/rattle. I think it's in the door itself but it's really hard to tell for sure. I'm thinking it's best to remove the door completely, drive around and see if the buzz is still there. If so then it's in the dash and not in the door...

I found it!!! I took apart my door and that wasn't the problem. I took out my passenger seat and pulled up the rug and it turned out to be a faulty relay, connected to the stereo preamp (40A/30A 12VDC). It sounded like a rattle in the door. The funny thing is that when I would hit the gas or brakes it would make a mechanical buzzing sound which is why I couldn't figure out if it was electronic or just something loose. When I held the transformer it REALLY made a buzzing sound. I unplugged it and the noise stopped (it was SOOO irritating and loud!). When I unplugged it the 'CHECK' light under the torque on demand 4 wheel drive light came on. The car seemed to run OK without the relay/transformer but I'm not sure how important it is. I thought it was just for the preamp which was installed under the passenger seat but it appears to affect the Torque On Demand in some way. Thanks for everyone's help! I'm uploading a photo of the relay to this thread in case someone else needs to know ...
    P.S. Turns ut I can't upload photos here so here is a link to the relay:
    http://www.in-car-stuff.com/shop/relay-spco-p-59.html

My relay says it's 40A/30A 12VDC

logan, as faar as i know there shouldnt be a relay under the passenger seat.. do you have a photo of the relay where it was on your vx? that would be helpful in figuring out why its affecting your tod... to upload a photo to this site click on "gallery" from the top bar just under the vehicross.info logo, then on the next page look at that bar again and there will be a "gallery links" option, click that and look for "upload photos" in that menu

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    logan, as faar as i know there shouldnt be a relay under the passenger seat.. do you have a photo of the relay where it was on your vx? that would be helpful in figuring out why its affecting your tod... to upload a photo to this site click on "gallery" from the top bar just under the vehicross.info logo, then on the next page look at that bar again and there will be a "gallery links" option, click that and look for "upload photos" in that menu
    Uh oh, OK, I'll get a photo up tomorrow. I hope this doesn't lead down a dark path because I've been trying to get a new in-dash stereo working and it just won't power on. I hope the previous owner of my VX didn't do some bad damage to the wiring...

just curious, was there an aftermarket sound system in your vx when you got it? what does the preamp look like? the TOD computer is under the passenger seat and not much room for a whole lot else..

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    just curious, was there an aftermarket sound system in your vx when you got it? what does the preamp look like? the TOD computer is under the passenger seat and not much room for a whole lot else..
    The "brain" unit of a pioneer avic system fits nicely alongside TOD unit!

Maybe someone cut the wire for the TOD and put in a relay, so they could turn it off and on?
    Just a thought.
    Can you figure out what turns that relay on and off? Maybe a switch somewhere under the dash or around the console?
    If you don't first THINK THINK, you could end up in deep DO DO!

I spent all day installing a new DVD In-Dash stereo (with the help of a best buy stereo installer) and searched long and hard for why this relay needed to stay connected to the TOD brain under the passenger seat. The Best Buy guy was stumped. I need to keep it connected or else the TOD CHECK light comes on. Wow, does this relay make noise! I'm going to install a new one tomorrow and get those photos up as well. Thanks for all your help and I'll have more info soon!

yea best buy installers generally know very little, esp about the vx... one of us could probably figure out why the relay is there/affecting the tod in 5-10 minutes