Thread: Recharge A\C?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Recharge A\C?

Hi gang!
    As summer came pretty hot and A\C in my VX is not so cold as used to so question is is that possable to recharge A\C in home conditions? or i have to go to special shop?
    Thank you guys

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

They have AC recharge kits w/ detailed instructions @ most auto parts stores, Wal-mt.,K-mt. etc.

yeah ive seen those everywhere but question does they work wiht any car and did anyone tryed it on VX yet?

Arrow

You need to find the leak that let the refrigerant OUT!

Yeah... it's not supposed to go away. AC systems work great when there's is the proper amount of regrigerant, but as the refrigerant leaks out, it won't cool as much.

How do you tell if it's low?? Look into the sight glass on the receiver dryer while the system is on and running. You should NOT see ANY bubbles passing by. If you do, you are low on refrigerant, which means you have a leak.

You might also check the fan on the condenser coil in front of the radiator. It helps dissipate the heat build up.

AC systems do not add cold. They remove heat to the condenser coil and it gets released by air passing by it. That's why your AC works great rolling down the highway at 60 MPH, but not quite as good in stop start traffic. Check that fan and check the fins of the condenser coil for blockage, dirt, bugs. It doesn't take much to gunk to reduce it's efficiency.

How do you find the leak?
    By recharging it and adding a flourescent dye. Then you runn it for a few days, then open the hood and shine an ultraviolet light around untill you see the bright green dye where your leak is. Once the leak is identified, (most likely an o-ring on a fitting) the system must be emptied, the leak fixed, then the system gets evacuated with a vac pump and recharged.

It's all in the downlaodable manual. Section 1A

So, you see, there is a bit more to it than just recharging it.

Hope this helps.
    Sold the VX 11-21-07. It was fun while I had it!
    Thanks for all the help.

dj,
    yeah, they work on the vx.
    you want the can that says 134a, (the new type of freon) and one of those hoses that are probably close by on the shelf. the place you put it in is on the drivers side, close to the firewall, just aabove the valve cover. ive recharged mine, no prob.
    im pretty sure that therre is even a tag that says low port ac on it, kinda light blue. i think the cap on it is also light blue. i might have a pic that ill post.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Uhhhhh, Dave ?

That cap in your picture that is greenish in color has to do with the fuel/evap system & I believe is there for fuel pressure measurements...
    The boiq (blue one in question) , is on the aluminium bloc on the firewall, above & to the right of the arrow.
    Not trying to be a "knowitall", just don't want anyone trying to put freon in their fuel rail.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaVX
    dino is right, you need to find the leak, but sometimes you can get lucky, and run a can of leak stop,which is usually right by the 134a cans, and chase it with a can of 134a.

here is a pic i have. pay no attention to the arrow i have in the pic....i was pointing to something else in the picture, but you can see where the hose youre going to buy hooks up. it looks kinda light green in this pic.

i would try the leak stop, and 1 can of refegerant first, and see what that does for a day or so. if it seems to be holding, then try for another can. no sense in spending money on the stuff, just to have it leak out again. that can get costly.
    hope this helps

i am about 99% sure that is the port for the hose. i dont have my vx here to check, and it HAS been a while since ive done it, so maybe someone else can conferm.

OH CRAP!!!!
    thanks dub, ....im fallin apart. thanks for catching that, obviously, you know enough!!!
    dj, and everyone else, i am sorry, for posting that and not being 100% sure, but you can recharge your a/c yourself, in most cases.
    and yes, listen to ldub, very smart guy....
    maybe ill try to get that post deleted.......
    sorry sorry sooooo very very sorrry

Last edited by IndianaVX : 06/27/2007 at 06:27 AM

If you had a significant leak that you could find, it wouldn't get cool at all. Your VX was made eight years ago and it probably just needs a boost. Those cans of A/C recharge don't fly off the shelves only for system leaks. A little help is needed over a period of years. Even when brand new, I and others found the VX A/C was not ice cold like some other vehicles. Plenty cool enough, but not super cold, so it wouldn't take much of a drop over the years to need a boost to lower the temp.

Last month I picked up one of the recharge kits with a pressure gauge at Wal-Mart. All the ports are different size so you can't hook up to the wrong one. You want the light blue cap with a L on it, for the low pressure port. Your compressor may be cycling on and off due to conditions, so make sure the compressor is engaged to get the right reading. It needs to be 25-45 psi, NOT HIGHER.

Mine was right on the low end of okay at 25 psi, so a couple hits of the button got me up to 45 psi. It did make a difference and lower the temp a bit. Still not ice cold, but you know the story there. Always use the inside air recirc setting in really hot weather to lower the temp even more.

Mark
    Last edited by deermagnet : 06/27/2007 at 07:17 AM

I don't have a VX yet, so I know I can't comment on the AC systems for the VX, but living in Florida for the past 20 years I do know a little about ACs.

My personal opinion is this: Sure you can do things to make your AC better, or delay professional service by using the at-home charge kits, why risk it? The AC system is rather fragile, from what I understand, and something as simple as a little moisture inside the lines can cause serious damage to the compressor.

So in an attempt to delay service by using a few $6 cans of 134a might just end up costing you a compressor, drier, AND the original part that was causing the leak.

If you want to avoid the AC money trap, I would suggest getting some of the UV dye injected, find the leak, then get a shop to fix the part. The at-home charge is just too "rigged" for the prized VX.

Arrow

Good advice that!

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    And to both of your points, the leak-stop didn't stop anything, and my charge was gone again by the evening. You may begin telling me that you told me so at your convenience.

I called my dealership and made an appointment for next week. I have an extended warranty, so I'll be paying all of $100 in deductible for whatever they need to replace on the A/C, and for a second driver-side window regulator (i.e., for the "dreaded window problem").

Hey that's pretty cool!!

DOH.. no pun intended.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Follow-up...

Turns out I had a leak in my condenser and a blockage in the lines to boot (don't recall where exactly). Hmm... blockage discovered after leak-stop added... a little suspicious you think? Of course, nothing conclusive, so take that little bit with a grain of salt.

Anyway, now it's the old two-trip repair... bring it in to diagnose and order parts, then bring it in again to get it fixed.

Monday... S/C install!!!