Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Permanent Fix for the plastic window tabs

I just ordered a set myself, after trying as sailor fix. At least I got practice in removing the door panel.

My wife is dogging my VX for being made of cheap pieces...

I will be ordering soon. My windows are bad and its getting nice finally so I will want them down more often.

I'm really surprised more people don't have them... I ordered them the day after I got my car... (of course I had a broken window tab, HA)

They're seriously a 30 min install (per side) and My driver's side window is smooth as butta.

(haven't done passenger side yet)

So are we getting a video?

Quote Originally Posted by taylorRichie View Post
    They're seriously a 30 min install (per side)
    So it should take me an hour or two....

Everytime I see this on an install and then do it it takes much longer. I am pretty meticulous though I take my time to make sure of two things. One, that things are going right and two, enough beer is being consumed....

My install has taken the better part of a year (they're still sitting in my garage). Maybe I'll put 'em on soon tho - Wifey is pressing me hard to get the passenger window functional again. Drivers side works fine since I replaced the weather stripping with felt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn View Post
    So it should take me an hour or two....

Everytime I see this on an install and then do it it takes much longer. I am pretty meticulous though I take my time to make sure of two things. One, that things are going right and two, enough beer is being consumed....
    Yeah seriously... I opened up the door panel knowing nothing about what I'd find... and I actually was anticipating something else... (never saw pictures) Get yourself the tool pictured on this thread, pop out the christmas trees, pop out the control panel for the windows undo the couple screws, then there's a s crew in the corner where the tweeter IIRC.

Remove the two screws on the tabs.
    Carefully lift the window out, I had to rotate it about 45º to remove straight up.
    Mark where the tabs are, remove the tabs (this parts easy... some even do it on their own )

My advice, slide on the new channel, then shoot glue into the channel (industrial hot glue is what I used) and immediately press tight. I tried to put glue in first, then Slide the channel on but the glue hardened way too quickly. So install it first, make a small gap for the glue to ooze into, then press tight.

And install the window, being careful of any tint. (also had to insert at about 45º angle)

Great product!!!! Thanks Tim. Highly recommend fix...

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldoggie View Post
    Between Tim's adjustable window tabs, and My spacer trick, every possible problem/adjustment should be fixable, with the exception of the rarer problems like the carjacker who shattered the glass, the broken/frayed cable, the missing or broken nylon lift track guides, or the burned-out motor/ broken switch.
    Not to be a naysayer, but believe me, this is not a miracle fix-all for the window issues. It certainly addresses the broken tabs, but if your windows bind or tilt, there may be some additional tricks and adjustments needed to get them working correctly again. I have one of these brackets installed in my passenger door, and it took both the washer trick and bending out the railing just to make this window semi-functional again. It's still not 100%, but could probably be fixed with some additional tweaking. My driver's side window still has the original brackets and actually functions a bit better than the one with the new bracket.

I will be placing an order for these brackets myself, as I do believe they are PART of a permanent solution (and I owe one back to the donor of my passenger side bracket ), I just want to make sure everyone is aware that each window is different and your results will vary, even from one window to the other.

So what's the deal with the video?
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Quote Originally Posted by kpaske View Post
    Not to be a naysayer, but believe me, this is not a miracle fix-all for the window issues. It certainly addresses the broken tabs, but if your windows bind or tilt, there may be some additional tricks and adjustments needed to get them working correctly again. I have one of these brackets installed in my passenger door, and it took both the washer trick and bending out the railing just to make this window semi-functional again. It's still not 100%, but could probably be fixed with some additional tweaking. My driver's side window still has the original brackets and actually functions a bit better than the one with the new bracket.

I will be placing an order for these brackets myself, as I do believe they are PART of a permanent solution (and I owe one back to the donor of my passenger side bracket ), I just want to make sure everyone is aware that each window is different and your results will vary, even from one window to the other.

So what's the deal with the video?
    Wondering if one of you 'expert' guys could one day put together a comprehensive guide to fix the window problem. That would be really cool. I realize that so many here have posted different fixes but would be nice for someone who knows more than me about windows to cherry pick the best fixes and write a single fix it all guide

Quote Originally Posted by Dare2Dream View Post
    Wondering if one of you 'expert' guys could one day put together a comprehensive guide to fix the window problem. That would be really cool. I realize that so many here have posted different fixes but would be nice for someone who knows more than me about windows to cherry pick the best fixes and write a single fix it all guide
    I knew NOTHING about my windows, Driver's side broke 5 minutes after I bought the car. Everyone here said get the SBC brackets, I did. Then I took off my door panel. I had never done it before, and had no idea what I was going to be faced with. But it was a real simple fix. Pop off the old tabs (plastic white tabs) Glue on the new SBC bracket, and reinstall, there's really nothing to it.

I was far from an "expert" when I did it, and it still took only about 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dare2Dream View Post
    Bulldoggie, myself and another owner got together a couple of months ago and shot a video with Bill (Bulldoggie) narrating, but it never made it off the cutting room floor. If we could get a copy of that footage we might actually be able to put a how to video out... Has anyone seen Eric (Pho2GR4)??

Window Fix Glue recommendation?

Hey gang,
    Just got my metal brackets in the mail and looking forward to having operational windows again (no fun in Florida!).

Anyone have a specific recommendation on brand/type of glue??

Thanks all,

Rob

I used Commercial Grade Hot glue sticks from Lowes.

Also available form Harbor Freight, etc. No problems so far. 3 months.

Well, I haven't seen or heard from Eric, Pho2gr4, But I do know he is up to his back side with wedding shoot's, plus he has (as of a few months ago anyway) a new love of his life and she also is a photographer and his business manager I think. Am sure once the wedding season calms down, he will reappear.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.