Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Permanent Fix for the plastic window tabs

I suppose I should have mentioned that I have already done the SBC brackets as well.

that, plus a new window regulator and the jig-a-loo has been working good for a little while

Just ordered. wish me luck.
    Last edited by xcelr8 : 11/13/2011 at 08:27 PM

Just installed one side. Works great. BTW: I used the clear liner from the shower to replace old plastic in door. Worked great. I don't know how long it will take my chickee to find out but I'm guessin not long.

ROFL

Prolly won't take her long ... first time she has to mop the bathroom floor.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Got my SBC Brackets in the mail from Tim today. Can't wait to get them installed and hopefully have windows that function 100%, or even 90%. LOL!
    "THEORETICALLY, STILL A TRUCK!"
    2001 VX
    Mods

2008 HUMMER H3

I still have the install videos on my YouTube channel:

VehiCROSS Window Prep 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APnuqKSYFlw
    VehiCROSS Window Prep 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooogBcDUetU
    VehiCROSS Window Install - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Z852D0dwY
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I still have the install videos on my YouTube channel:

VehiCROSS Window Prep 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APnuqKSYFlw
    VehiCROSS Window Prep 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooogBcDUetU
    VehiCROSS Window Install - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Z852D0dwY
    Just watched your vids. Good work. Howcome you didn't post a clip of them working? Also, did your windows function perfectly with this and did you do any other related tweaks to your windows?

Quote Originally Posted by H3_VX View Post
    Also, did your windows function perfectly with this and did you do any other related tweaks to your windows?
    Mine were just slowing down pretty bad, but still made it up w/o help. Rght before i got my SBC brackets installed, I widened and slightly moved the front vertical channel forward a bit...to put less pressure/friction on the leading edge of the window glass. I also lubricate that vertical rubber gasket that the leading edge fits into.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Quote Originally Posted by H3_VX View Post
    Just watched your vids. Good work. Howcome you didn't post a clip of them working? Also, did your windows function perfectly with this and did you do any other related tweaks to your windows?
    He took the vids during the 'window fixin party' at my place a few years ago. He's one of the lucky ones who has never had window problems. Anyway, we didn't have time for the adhesive to cure before the end of the day & I told everyone that they should not lower their windows for at least 24 hours. That's why he didn't show the windows functioning.

Long term is that on mine, the brackets didn't completely fix the problem. I still have tilting on the passenger side (even after tweeking the tracks and making adjustments to the regulator). The main problem is that it's not just the plastic tabs on the glass, but also 2 plastic tabs on the regulator track that are giving way/wearing. I need to put the old noggin back in gear and come up with another fix.

So am I to read from this that the SBCs I recently bought (not installed yet) won't fix the window binding problem if there is tilt involved? 'Cause there definitely IS tilt involved. If I simply put a little downward pressure on the B-pillar top edge of the glass as it ascends, it goes up smoothly. I've seen the bungee "fix" for this, but I thought this is what the SBCs were made for.

-V
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

I have the SBC brackets installed to fix the broken plastic tabs that made my window not work at all. I believe that is what they were created for. A better/stronger version of the OEM plastic setup

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    So am I to read from this that the SBCs I recently bought (not installed yet) won't fix the window binding problem if there is tilt involved? 'Cause there definitely IS tilt involved. If I simply put a little downward pressure on the B-pillar top edge of the glass as it ascends, it goes up smoothly. I've seen the bungee "fix" for this, but I thought this is what the SBCs were made for.

-V
    The SBC brackets fix the problem for 90% of the owners ... I'm special ... I'm in the 10%.

Remember though that 63.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

8 yrs - who woulda thunk it

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    I've seen the bungee "fix" for this...
    FYI on the bungee fix: My driver side bungee finally broke last month. Not bad for an ultra-cheap, temporary "fix" installed eight years ago. The window functioned perfectly right up until the bungee broke. Never once had to spend time lubing it. Think I'll be doing that "fix" again! This was the fix that lifts the front of the window so the bungee is under tension only when the window is down - not the fix that pulls down on the back of the window i.e., bungee under tension when window is up.

I don't think I've seen that one, SlowPro. I've only seen the ones that holds the rear side down. I'm give the SBCs a try - eventually - and see how that goes.

Hopefully I won't be a 10%er.

-V

Yeah there's not really a proper write-up on that one. I remember describing the fix but it didn't have it's own thread. I'm sure it's buried in the middle of a long ago threadjack somewhere. I provided the length of the bungee so I guess when it comes time to do the driver's side again I'll be using the search function as it took some experimenting to get the length right. Too long and you don't get enough lift, too short and the motor strains to get the window all the way down. Anyway since it was just going to be a temporary measure until I could get time to figure out how to move the lift point forward, I didn't bother taking pics and doing a writeup. I'll take some this time around though.

Hope the SBCs work for you. They definitely look stronger than stock!