Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How sweet is this?

How sweet is this?

I was looking on another forum and saw this picture.

I found the company who makes the tent (LINK). I dig it. Pretty pricy but still I like it.

Maybe I should re-consider getting a roof rack.

That is pretty cool....

Bart

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    My wife loved it, except for the price. "Pretty pricey" does not do those numbers justice. A similarly-sized tent costs $50 at Coscto. Multiplying that amount by 30 puts it well into "extravagantly pricey" territory, I would say.

Still, it is so cool! The want-it-bad factor is pretty high. :_drool:

I guess Jeff Foxworthy is not the only Redneck with money.

It seems though, that this would have to take the place of my roof basket. And when I go camping, its nice to carry my spare and extra gas up top.

I have not read into these yet, but they look like they just fold up on top. I wonder if the "floor" of the tent has some sort of cushion on it? Nothing is worse that a deflating air matress or that oak tree root in your kidney all night long.

Bart

It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to fab up something close to that - or if you don't want to go that route you could probly fab up mounts to the roof rails for it and bypass the roof rack altogether by bolting onto those mounts. [Nice run-on sentence, huh.]
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask
    It seems though, that this would have to take the place of my roof basket. And when I go camping, its nice to carry my spare and extra gas up top.

I have not read into these yet, but they look like they just fold up on top. I wonder if the "floor" of the tent has some sort of cushion on it? Nothing is worse that a deflating air matress or that oak tree root in your kidney all night long.

Bart
    Yeah apparently they have a foam padded floor. I checked out the site some more last night and I really like it, they do fold up into a box like deal on top. Don’t know how long it would take me to afford one, they are from about 1,500 and up.

THIS would be better. Retains your roof top storage, can be left at camp or taken along on the trail, and keeps all that extra weight off the roof improving your center of gravity (a good thing when wheeling if you like to keep the rubber on the ground)...
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Those are pretty cool but for that money you can get something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/pop-u...32898231QQrdZ1

I know some one that picked up one of those for $750 locally. With barely any more work, it was in great condition. I took it on a little camp trip and it was perfect for two people. Four would be tight. The only down side is having to tow something around.

I don't know about you guys, but imho, the nice thing about the roof tent is that you don't have to trailer anything.

But, I think I will stick to a conventional ground tent. I just need to get a good air matress or a better sleeping mat.

Bart

I would have to look, but there is a weight limit on our roof racks = less than my body weight on a 2x12. Any of that "chopper 230 birthday" activity would dimple the roof.

Haha! The tent system itself weighs in at like 100 lbs anyway!

Well personally I like it still. Price is steep but I don’t want a hitch to trailer anything and I don’t like the little foam padding we have currently for a bed in the ground tent. I don’t like air mattresses because I am a fat body and deflate them. I think that once I have money to afford this I will buy one, which means I will never buy one. Either way they are dope.

I am going to be building a utility style box in the back and make a drop down panel off the rear door to lay my big fat legs on to sleep in the VX but even that will have to wait.
    Last edited by CrnCnn : 07/05/2007 at 06:51 PM

The Fleetwood Evolution is one I've stayed in, and it gets up to my mining claim near Leadville, okay. It would match my Proton perfectly, too! I'm just not sure I could comfortably tow it. When full of water and stuff, it almost weighs as much as the VX!

At least the rooftop tent will keep you safe from scary scary bears.

Well, unless the scary bear is really hungry, I suppose. Or freakishly tall. Or one of those circus bears, who know how to climb up on cars. Or if the bear brought a bear partner, and they cooperate and shoulder-climb and boost each other up.

Okay, fine, you're not any safer at all. But it would look cool. Like having a treehouse without the tree.

PS: I'm still digging those T@B Trailers: http://www.tab-rv.com/specs/index.php

I even saw one up close during the Moab gathering. A nice match for the VX. All I need is a trailer hitch and an extra $15,000 or so, and I am THERE.
    OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate