Hey car audio heads,

I need to replace more-or-less the entire sound system in the new ride. I am going to start with the Alpine iDA-X001 headunit (radio + iPod/USB control, 45W x 4) to run front and back separates. Yes, I know I should put an amp in there, but there is no room for it without ditching my inflatable mini-spare and/or road emergency kit, which I am not prepared to do at this time. I figure if I decide to go that route later on, I can buy a 5-channel amp, have it installed and wired to the speakers later, then hook up the Focal 8" sub/enclosure from my VX and pop it into the 928 whenever I want.

I want reasonably-priced sound quality, not boom-boom-there-goes-the-rest-of-my-hearing SPL. (don't think Focal is the standard or anything!) I used to do pro sound engineering, and I have done a couple of low-to-mid range systems in previous cars, so I go for good sound quality but I have been away from the scene for a long time and have no idea who makes the junk and who makes the funk anymore. I am not looking to enter competitions with this system - I just want great sound quality at normal SPL levels. I am willing to spend $400 - $600 for the speakers.

The question is what speakers to get - there are two openings on the doors, one for a 4" - 5.25" mid and another for the separate tweeter. There there are 6.5" and tweeter openings in the rear behind the doors below the B pillar. I am assuming that I don't have much depth to work with for the doors. There is another rear speaker over the rear wheel humps, but I am going to leave them disconnected.

I listened to the Kicker KS series separates at a local shop (no sub, headunit power) and was pretty impressed with their sound quality (a +3 setting on the bass control filled them out nicely). They seemed the best choice there - the only other model was the Alpine Type R separates, but I did not care for them at all compared to the Kickers.

I went to another shop, and the guy there suggested Infinity's, but he didn't have any wired up to hear (he is supposed to by Friday), and I don't even know what line he will have (kappa, reference, etc.).

So... if you know anything about this speaker business, please tell me what you think about Kicker, Infinity, or suggest something else entirely that meets my cost and headunit-power limitations.

Thanks!!!