Thread: steering wheel help!

steering wheel help!

i have the red/black leather int. what can i do about my beat up steering wheel... i dont want to give it a cheap look. does isuzu sell the leather??

Well, a product I have used for the past 20 odd years will dress up the rim of a plastic or leather steering wheel rather nicely. My Dragon Green VX has a pale green and grey one one it now. Users JAFO and Techy-D saw it at the Newberg car show and can give you a second and thrid opinion of them. Here is their web site but if you shop around you can beat their price usually for the same product.

http://www.wheelskins.com/index.php
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

thanks alot!! its site looks good. did you take the old leather off?? or did you just put it over the old one??

I ordered the Euro 2 tone model (yellow/black) for my proton. I must say that I am COMPLETELY satisfied with it. Simply put it over the current steering wheel. It will take about an hour or more to manually sew it on but in the end you will completely love it. Once on, driving the VX feels so much different. The leather is very nice to the touch and very thick once applied. I'm serious when I say I have had as many compliments on the steering wheel than just about any other mod I've done. Everyone gets in and immediately grabs for the wheel, complimenting it and asking where and how much.

One thing to note that quite often (about every 2 weeks) you will need to wipe it down with very diluted soapy water to remove "oils" and such. My yellow will get black spots on it just from the normal oils from my hands. Once it starts to get a "sticky" feeling, simply wipe it off. Also NEVER use any type of protectant such as Mirror Glaze or Armor All on it. It will destroy the leather and is stated as such in bold letters in the instructions.

Basically once applied, simply wipe it once in a while to keep it clean and enjoy the new feeling. It really does feel different driving when you have one of these. I love mine and would recommend it to anyone.
    ---------

Ty

Hey Ty,

When are you gonna post some pics? I need to see what I couldve bought.

Darnit! I just knew you were gonna ask LOL

ok ok so I've been slacking behind on getting some pics together...

I was really just waiting on getting some parts first.

I ordered some stuff from Ron like the fang extenders, front/rear yellow skidplates, clear lenses (for the white/amber switching turn signal LEDs from autolumination), etc.

I also made contact with the guy in Japan (can't remember his name at the moment) that used to (or maybe still does) sell carbon fiber accessories. He responded and said he would check with the manufacturer and get back to me but I've not heard from him. It's been about a month.

I was wanting to post pics once I installed everything...but it looks as though now would be as good a time as any.

I'll get some together by the weekend and post them. Thanks... I needed a good quick swift kick. A few others PM me asking the same thing so I guess with all the pressure . . . LOL

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by gabilangabby
    i have the red/black leather int. what can i do about my beat up steering wheel... i dont want to give it a cheap look. does isuzu sell the leather??
    Unless it's already been sold, Tone had a "lightly used" red/black available a while back...IIRC over $200.00 though. Check with him if interested.

Ty, glad your as happy with wheelskins as I am. The VX already had a nice feel stock, but the skin for sure helped. Wait till you try it on a old Ford pickup plastic steering wheel or what have you, amazing, truly amazing

you guys got me! lol! im ordering mine tomorrow.....

gabilangabby, you won't be sorry. Give yourself an afternoon, just take your time when doing it. I found the perforated one to be a little tedious with all the holes but if your a patient person the end result would be very nice. Be carful on how hard your pull the thread, hole can be ripped out, but it is a very well made product. IF, you are going with the 2 color one, you might find that you have to allow for a little stretch when trying to align it for stitching, thats why I said allow yourself an afternoon. As Ty said about cleaning, It will depend on the color, light will show off the oils and dirt and grime faster. When I clean and condition the leather seats with leather cleaner and conditioner, I also do the wheel. enjoy
    P.S. if you need a photo of the blind stitch, email me.