Thread: Got bigger tires, want to cranking the front torsion up a bit...

Arrow Got bigger tires, want to cranking the front torsion up a bit...

I just installed a set of 285/60/R18 Toyo Proxes S/T. I trimmed the cladding a wee bit and everything seems OK so far -- no rubbing as far as I can tell. I'm glad, because I didn't even have to use the big freakin' hammer ("BFH") to bend back the inner cladding as some have had to do.

I would like to raise the front end by about 1"-2". I have read the threads on here about adjusting torsion, but it's not clear to me how much torsion adjustment I'll be able to get with stock parts. I read 8 turns is equivalent to about 1". Does anyone know what is the maximum adjustment possible?

EDIT: Also, this is kind of dumb question, but where are the torsion bolts exactly? This seems like some common tribal knowledge that I lack, since it was not conveyed in any of the "torsion" threads I searched.
    Grant
    2000 Proton Yellow #756
    "THE UFO"
    Seattle, Washington

Arrow

Page 3C-2 in the downlaodable manual there's a nice pic.

Sold the VX 11-21-07. It was fun while I had it!
    Thanks for all the help.

Grant, I would appreciate it if you changed your avatar so the VX is larger than your head. It reminds me too much of someone posting on a personals ad, hahaha.

Now uh, ya, crank that torsion....
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Grant, what offset wheel do you have?
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard
    Grant, what offset wheel do you have?
    I have stock 18" wheels, so whatever offset those are... I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod
    Grant, I would appreciate it if you changed your avatar so the VX is larger than your head. It reminds me too much of someone posting on a personals ad, hahaha.

Now uh, ya, crank that torsion....
    LOL! "I'm a sensitive kind of guy who likes long walks on the beach, candle lit dinners with Sarah McLachlan playing softly in the background..." Yea, you're right. I'll get around to changing it soon.

Okay, that explains why all you had to do was the trim the cladding. The stock wheel is 38mm offset. I installed the same size tire as you did, but when I changed the wheel to the MKW M18 which is a 18 mm offset, I had to use a BFH on the rear cladding. One side is perfect, the other not so, but really only I can tell. I had the bars cranked so that it sit's level now and no problem with rubbing.
    Since we are so close to each other, maybe we can get together sometime and you can see it. I contacted PHO2GR4 the other day to see when he has a weekend free. Maybe we can get togther then. Pretty sure totallto in Lakewood would be up for a brew and food with his nice looking ebony with the 21 incher's he just had installed.

I have 22's on mine i didnt have to touch a thing they are 295/35/zr22 it runs awesome feels awesome and nothin rubs.