Thread: Glass Cleaner Help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Glass Cleaner Help

OK, what is the best car glass cleaner? I can't tell you how annoying it is, to wash my VX, and then wipe the windows with glass cleaner (various brands of streak free glass cleaner have been tried, including a product called "Invisible Glass" - invisible my-***), which looks nice at first, but then the next morning as I am driving to work I can see streaks on the inside and out.

Typically, I spray a micro-fiber cloth with the cleaner, wipe down window real good, and then buff with a larger, dry towel.

Anyway, what do you clean freaks out there recommend? I need a new, better window polish to try.

Bart

Mix up a little vinegar (1 cup) in a quart spray bottle with water and a drop or two of dishwashing liquid to clean rinse it off and wipe dry with newspaper.

What I found is it's not so much what you use, but how you use it, or I should say remove it. What I do, what ever spray you use, clean the glass with a terry cloth THEN use a micro fiber cloth.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Quote Originally Posted by circmand
    Mix up a little vinegar (1 cup) in a quart spray bottle with water and a drop or two of dishwashing liquid to clean rinse it off and wipe dry with newspaper.

Going to have to try this myself. I have always been a fan of at home remedy's.

I've got huge windows on my house. The commercial cleaners just don't work - like you said the streaks start appearing in a day or two. I've found this recipe very effective:

1 cup rubbing alcohol
    1 cup water
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    1 teaspoon ammonia

Using isopropyl alcohol and white vinegar together makes a quickly evaporating spray glass and mirror cleaner that eliminates streaks. The vinegar adds a mild acid and the ammonia a general cleaner and grease cutter. Use lint-free towels (I scab all the left over coffee filters at work).

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Looks like Johny Apollo reads Heloise to I forgot the amonia in my recipe

Thanks guys, I will try some of these options. I actually liked the shine Rain-X created, but I find my wipers stick and rub and make all sorts of noise when I actually do need to run them, which sucks. So now I just use the Rain-X on the side windows. But for the front window, on the inside and out, I gotta get a streak free method down pat.

Thanks - Bart