Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: How "screwed" am I, literally.

Thanks guys! I love a happy ending too. Whew. I was really worried about this for the last couple nights.

Etl: The size of the plug is M14 1.5.

Indiana: I have a few cameras, but for these shots I just used my little point and shoot Canon Powershot A620 with the macro (flower) enabled. I also have a decent lighting setup in my garage which helps, and I put the plugs on an old black leather glove for contrast.

So, how worried about the tiny little metal shavings should I be? I mean, I pulled out that big nasty one, and a bunch of really tiny pieces on the magnet, and changed my filter, so hopefully I will be ok.... ???

I just can't believe I did this. I must have started the plug in wrong last time I changed the oil and somehow didn't notice the resistance as I mashed it in there. I will say this though, I was in a hurry last time I changed the oil so in this case, I suppose haste once again made waste...

Bart

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask

So, how worried about the tiny little metal shavings should I be?

Bart

You're new friend, the magnetic drain plug, should be more than happy to earn it's keep.

Thanks for the reassurance Dubster...

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub
    You're new friend, the magnetic drain plug, should be more than happy to earn it's keep.

Glad to hear the quick fix worked. Even more than a happy ending, I love when it's cheap & easy.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Ah, high-five!!

etlsport raised a good point - the magnetic plug won't pick up aluminum shavings, so if you are concerned about additional shavings in your oil (and you probably should be), change your oil & filter a couple more times in the next 1000 miles.

tom4bren & psychos - so do you still disagree with me about the threads being important to sealing the drain plug? What happened to Bart was what I was getting at - if you've messed up your threads so the plug doesn't stop tightening, it can't hold the gasket tightly enough to form a seal.

Yay!!! Mystery solved!!

VehiGAZ,

"...if you've messed up your threads so the plug doesn't stop tightening, it can't hold the gasket tightly enough to form a seal."

I hate when I'm wrong (I thought I was once - but that was a mistake) ... glad I wasn't here. In your own words you verified what I said. The threads don't make the seal, they compress the gasket that makes the seal. By the very nature of how threads engage, they can not make a seal unless suplimented with something like teflon tape.

Trust me, I've learned that lesson the hard way with MANY failed plumbing repairs.

Besides - who (even Bart) could have messed up the threads that badly???? Oh yes, that was me when I was installing Tone's seat extenders (my fault not Tone's).
    Last edited by tom4bren : 08/01/2007 at 08:13 AM

LOL, I'm no mechanic, so it doesn't suprise me that I FUBARed something, but it all comes with experience I suppose.

What I learned from this is that you should never work on your VX (or anything you care about for that matter) if you are feeling rushed or hasty. I'm sure had I not been pressed for time, I wouldn't have messed things up.....I hope.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren
    Besides - who (even Bart) could have messed up the threads that badly???? Oh yes, that was me when I was installing Tone's seat extenders (my fault ot Tone's).

"you should never work on your VX (or anything you care about for that matter) if you are feeling rushed or hasty"

My problem is that I usually have about 6 things going at once.

Yeah, me too. And this was definitely the case last weekend when I changed my oil. It just serves as a reminder that I need to take a breather, slow down, take a sip of my Blue Moon and do one thing at a time.

Bart

"you should never work on your VX (or anything you care about for that matter) if you are feeling rushed or hasty"

My problem is that I usually have about 6 things going at once.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Ain't that the truth! On the other hand, I have achieved glorious automotive feats while rushing... I once reseated a valve cover gasket on a hot engine in about 20 minutes, and changed all four sets of brake pads in 58 minutes (both on a 1979 Volvo).

You're an amazing stripper by any measure, Bart!

Red face

I still don't know how I turned a bolt into a nail....

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by VehiGAZ
    Ain't that the truth! On the other hand, I have achieved glorious automotive feats while rushing... I once reseated a valve cover gasket on a hot engine in about 20 minutes, and changed all four sets of brake pads in 58 minutes (both on a 1979 Volvo).

You're an amazing stripper by any measure, Bart!