Thread: Slight clicking or gapping in steering?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Slight clicking or gapping in steering?

Hey VX crew,
    I have a slight clicking when my steering goes left to right. Happens when the steering wheel goes from TDC to left or right.

Might anyone have suggestion for any linkage bolts/nuts regarding this to tighten?

I will be siphoning and replacing PS fluid next couple days and will do a visual to asses anything.

TIA
    face the mirror

Quote Originally Posted by xdfarrx
    Hey VX crew,
    I have a slight clicking when my steering goes left to right. Happens when the steering wheel goes from TDC to left or right.
    Continuous ticking, as if it was the pump? Or only ticking when you turn the wheel, as if it was the steering column?

Quote Originally Posted by mdwyer
    Continuous ticking, as if it was the pump? Or only ticking when you turn the wheel, as if it was the steering column?
    Nope, as mentioned at the top, or when I go from one direction to another. Also will feel it sometimes when turn over a bump.
    It is not a rattle.
    I will check steering box unti and tighten from there to see if that helps...

Bad CV joint? This is common with other vehicles and they "click" when you're turning, but are fine when you're running straight.

Check for cracks in your CV boot for any cracks/splits. If the grease has spilled out, it should be apparent on the boot.

If this is the case, then you're in for a whole new CV joint assembly it would seem. That clicking sound is your joint starting to lock up.

Hopefully this is not the problem.. But something to check out.

Diogenes

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes
    Bad CV joint? This is common with other vehicles and they "click" when you're turning, but are fine when you're running straight.

Check for cracks in your CV boot for any cracks/splits. If the grease has spilled out, it should be apparent on the boot.

If this is the case, then you're in for a whole new CV joint assembly it would seem. That clicking sound is your joint starting to lock up.

Hopefully this is not the problem.. But something to check out.

Diogenes
    CV boots look in solid condition.
    Tightening the steering box adjustment to see if this makes it better. Its not bad but as you know you can feel everything in our vx's...

Arrow

I say ball joints need to be checked.
    Sold the VX 11-21-07. It was fun while I had it!
    Thanks for all the help.

Same problem here. Steering wheel clicks once when turning from counterclockwise dirction to clockwise direction.

Quote Originally Posted by iownvx
    Same problem here. Steering wheel clicks once when turning from counterclockwise dirction to clockwise direction.
    thats exactly what mine does, from counter-clockwise to clockwise... it does get annoying
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

Well guys time to get our slueth hats on. I am starting with the new ball joints. Will report results.

I am thinking ball joints, perhaps bearings. The clicking/catching could be some crud/rust in the bearings and is actually a lovely grinding. Speculation is king! Tear it down and see what the verdict is. I am going on 44k miles and have not repacked my bearings AT ALL yet. No issues as of yet, but I smell it coming....
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod
    I am thinking ball joints, perhaps bearings. The clicking/catching could be some crud/rust in the bearings and is actually a lovely grinding. Speculation is king! Tear it down and see what the verdict is. I am going on 44k miles and have not repacked my bearings AT ALL yet. No issues as of yet, but I smell it coming....
    Are you implying wheel bearings? When mine were redone they were in really great shape. Ball joints top and bottom I will replace the tie rod adjusters, and ball joints.

If anyone has product recommendations for new Ball joints , preferably aftermarket, please post.
    Thanks