Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: This Forum ROCKS !!!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up This Forum ROCKS !!!

While reading through different threads, & I'm sorry I can't remember who posted it, I came across something having to do with fuel line routing...didn't really think much about it at the time.
    In any event, it triggered something in the recesses of what's left of my grey gorp & every once in a while, for no reason I'd find myself thinking of my supply line & it's close proximity to the EGR valve.
    Tonight, while doing some other stuff under the hood, I caught a whiff of hi-test that got my attention. After a bit of investigation, I found that the normal torque motion of the engine had wedged my improperly secured fuel line solidly between one of the hard pipes of the cooling system & the EGR block...& that thing gets really HOT.
    Of course, after removing the EGR & re-routing the fuel line & putting everything back together, I had a worse fuel leak than before...
    Sooo, my morning project before work is to replace that section of fuel line.(I'm so lucky to have a great employer)
    The point I'm getting to is, without all the great info found here & the people who share my addiction to this special little hot-rod, I could have theoretically been a fireball sometime in the next few days.

Thanks to this whole group, y'all are the best!

Well then, I am glad you are still with us Mr. Dubs! Nice catch BTW. I think I will lay underneath my VX again this weekend and see what craziness I can find!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

nice catch! i was thinking the other day.. how does the rest of the world live... like what to they do when they let off the gas and there is a grinding sound coming from the front wheels? take it to a shop? how much does the shop charge/how long does it take for said shop to figure out that there is a rock wedged between the rotor and dust shield? i got that answer for free in about 10 minutes! hats off to all you spectacular VXers out there

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Oh man, that's good that you caught that.

I can see it now:

"FARGO MAN EXPLODES IN HEAVILY MODIFIED SUV"

Larry W., of Fargo, ND has become a living legend on an Internet forum where he was lovingly known as "Ldub". On the morning of August 2, 2007, his suped up Isuzu SUV exploded on I-94 in heavy traffic, sending flames, shrapnel and bits of a plastic skull, as well as bits of his own cranium, all over the asphalt. His loss comes as a shock to all who knew him, etc, etc, etc..."

Seriously, lets all try to keep ourselves out of the newspaper! ...sorry for my vivid, and sometimes out of place imagination. It scares me too

Bart

yes, yes, forum great.........flaming, exploding vx's bad....very very bad....
    this could be considered more a knowledge base than forum....found many answers here searching and reading, and even more answers after asking. and even more, as great a fourm that this is, its the people here, imo, that make it so great.
    thanks guys and gals

clarification please. This is/was a problem on your modified VX. The stock VX does not have this fuel line routing problem, correct?
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard
    clarification please. This is/was a problem on your modified VX. The stock VX does not have this fuel line routing problem, correct?

That is correct.

A stock VX can go through life with very few, if any, problems...you have to really work at it to create all the other shizz that lifted, s/c'd, etc. VX'rs sometimes get to deal with.

BTW, nice eulogy there Bart...made me LOL. I want you there when it's my turn for the dirt nap.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Yeah, this place is great - it is so helpful to be able to mine the group's actual experiences in running/modding/fixing their VXs! I've had similar experiences on the 928 forums on Rennlist - their technical knowledge is unbelievable! Of course, 928s were built for almost 20 years with tens of thousands of cars on the road.

It's all because of the internet - without it, we'd never know how to find each other and wouldn't be able to figure out what's true and what's BS.

Btw, it was Wormgod who posted about rerouting the fuel line when installing the supercharger.

Info swappage ------> AWESOME!

Sure wish the re-route could boost another 25hp out of the S/C though.

I remember when I had that issue Dub, it put the fear of Rosie O'Donnell in me.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

The knowledge on this site is fantastic! Good work Ldub.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Yeah, sorry for that. When I thought of it, it sounded funnier in my mind, but by the time I finished typing it, it just sounded plain scary! Stay off that highway today for me

And speaking of un-modded VXes not having weird problems, vs modded VXes having all the weirdness, how concerned should I be about a 1-2" lift?

I know this isn't the time or the thread, but I keep thinking about it. I think it is the final BIG mod that would make my beast look that much meaner. One or two inches is all I really want, just enough to fit some bigger rubber (I am thinking the Toyo M/Ts) and give me a little more clearance.

I just don't want all the weirdness.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub
    BTW, nice eulogy there Bart...made me LOL. I want you there when it's my turn for the dirt nap.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask
    Yeah, sorry for that. When I thought of it, it sounded funnier in my mind, but by the time I finished typing it, it just sounded plain scary! Stay off that highway today for me

And speaking of un-modded VXes not having weird problems, vs modded VXes having all the weirdness, how concerned should I be about a 1-2" lift?

I know this isn't the time or the thread, but I keep thinking about it. I think it is the final BIG mod that would make my beast look that much meaner. One or two inches is all I really want, just enough to fit some bigger rubber (I am thinking the Toyo M/Ts) and give me a little more clearance.

I just don't want all the weirdness.

Bart
    No worries Bart...like I said, it made my day & I got quite a good chuckle out of your faux eulogy.

I don't think you need to worry too much about an inch or two of lift...but bear in mind, any time you move away from stock, wether it's s/c, lift, larger tires, etc...you do put increased stress on parts.
    I look at it this way, Isuzu builds a pretty stout product for the most part, & I'm willing to gamble on the perceived notion of their product being well engineered enough to handle a little extra stress. If I'm wrong, I'm also willing to do what it takes to make the necessary repairs.

When you do decide, I have a set of OME 912's (used less than a year) with your name on em' that I'll let you have for a C-note + shipping.

That is, IF you decide to go that route.

Cool Dub, I will definitely take you up on that. Now, from everything I have been told from my boys here in Reno, all I need to do is put on the new springs in the rear and crank up my front end a little to acheive 1-2"s.....??

It sounds pretty easy. I would do it right now, but the though of spending another $1500 on tires kinda makes me throw up in my mouth a little. So I think I should at least wear out my BFG A/Ts.

With a 1" lift I am guess I will hardly notice a thing, but with 2"s I will be putting my CVs at more of an angle, correct? I mean, I have seen your lift and Ascinder's big 4"s and it is extreme, so I would like to play it as safe as I can without too much additional stress on the truck.

-Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub
    No worries Bart...like I said, it made my day & I got quite a good chuckle out of your faux eulogy.

I don't think you need to worry too much about an inch or two of lift...but bear in mind, any time you move away from stock, wether it's s/c, lift, larger tires, etc...you do put increased stress on parts.
    I look at it this way, Isuzu builds a pretty stout product for the most part, & I'm willing to gamble on the perceived notion of their product being well engineered enough to handle a little extra stress. If I'm wrong, I'm also willing to do what it takes to make the necessary repairs.

When you do decide, I have a set of OME 912's (used less than a year) with your name on em' that I'll let you have for a C-note + shipping.

That is, IF you decide to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask
    Cool Dub, I will definitely take you up on that. Now, from everything I have been told from my boys here in Reno, all I need to do is put on the new springs in the rear and crank up my front end a little to acheive 1-2"s.....??

It sounds pretty easy. I would do it right now, but the though of spending another $1500 on tires kinda makes me throw up in my mouth a little. So I think I should at least wear out my BFG A/Ts.

With a 1" lift I am guess I will hardly notice a thing, but with 2"s I will be putting my CVs at more of an angle, correct? I mean, I have seen your lift and Ascinder's big 4"s and it is extreme, so I would like to play it as safe as I can without too much additional stress on the truck.

-Bart
    Like I told you at Bully's if you want some help call me up. I am really thinking lately about making some diff drop brackets, like Ascinder and BigmeatVX, to help take some stress off my CV's. I know a few people that might be able to help me and also help me with a skid plate.

Hey Clint, how much of a lift did you do again? Was it 2"s?

I will definitely call you guys when I am ready.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn
    Like I told you at Bully's if you want some help call me up. I am really thinking lately about making some diff drop brackets, like Ascinder and BigmeatVX, to help take some stress off my CV's. I know a few people that might be able to help me and also help me with a skid plate.