Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Common VX problems you'd like Isuzu to resolve.

petition toilet paper?

Well I am # 147 on petition DO they care?
    after reading others troubles, I remembered I have a few more of the common gripes.
    peeling emblems that are very expensive to replace, If you can find them. Shocks leaking. other troubles.

I guess the engineers never drove one at nite, My next mod is a light in the black hole cargo area. I will do the door poper at the same time.

What about the crap spare that may screw up the TOD if used - or am I wrong? I bought another wheel, carry a full size spare off road and keep good tires on the truck at all times.

theheadlamps are scrached and faded and cost more than a room in the trump tower! Gives new meaning to JAP scrap as my pals at the GM factory used to say!!!!!!!!! a love hate relationship and a thin line , between love and hate!

well I spoke too soon.. yesterday.. the second of 4 spare tire cover keepers.. broke.. oh ya.. also have the fading lights and cracked hood insert,, still love it and will be keeping it alonnnng time.... no one will buy it for what I want out of it.

now for the good stuff.. what a 4wheeler.. pod on a quad is the perfect description

have taken it on a few quad trails and got that arizona pinstriping...

3 transmissions replaced by 30K miles
    6-disc CD player broke at 30K miles (little plastic pieces in there don't stand up to the rough ride and break off) - dealership would not replace
    Loose seals around windows (not leaky, but noisy)
    Odometer quit @ 75k
    Fuel pressure regulator quit. at 75K
    Bolts vibrated loose and almost dropped the drive shaft @75K (dealership tightened for free after initially wanting to charge $50.)
    Paint coming off the decals.

Yeah, that was the first thing to break on my 2000 ironman. First, disc 6 quit, but the others still worked. Then one day the whole damn thing just stopped working. Haven't replaced it yet (starving student). Just the other day had my front right cv axle replaced and 48 hrs later its back in the shop getting replaced again (thank God for the part and labor warranty). I've also had problems with the rubber around the headlights disintegrating and the chrome on the rims peeling. There are times when having a rare unique car works against you (i.e. 4000 total vx's built=extremely expen$ive and hard to find replacement parts). I guess this kind of thing makes me actually appreciate the way GM makes almost all of their cars have interchangeable parts

Oh yeah; that reminds me, my hood release now requires someone to pull it while I pry the f*****g hood open. That and the radiator I had to replace last summer. I need to stop reading these forums; they're making me recall all the crap I've fixed and I'm gettin pissed off all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by mistermg View Post
    Own 4 99s.

2 have broken crankshafts.
    3 have the window problem
    4 have no headlamp gaskets
    2 have bad CD changers
    FEW places can service trhe transmission properly!
    Dealers have minimal parts and no trained techs who care about a 99

The 2 with blown engines/bad crankshafts I purchased that way so dont know if any other troubles besides headlamp gskts,windows and CD
    The truck with 44K only has the headlamp gaskets missing but I know the windows will screw up sooner or later.

Isuzu in El Paso, texas are no help and seem to be A##holes. like many Texans!
    I have owned 10 Troopers and most never had anything w
    rong. Last one sold had 266K and the frame rusted out as it was an Ohio Truck. The Mexicans I sold it to are still running it. these were from 86 to 92s. Seems the quality and engineering was shortcuted in the VX- a Passport engine? HOWEVER< I love my IRONMAN, in spite of the problems and will sell the 44K truck and rebuild one of the blown ones. MY 2 1/2 cents MRMG Less trouble out of my lucas wired 57 MGA!

For a 30 K$ vehicle in 99, I would expect more.
    Isuzu USA can forget about me buying any more product!

I may have to go back to dodge! Hope the suits read these!
    Hey buddy, would you be willing to sell me some small parts off one of the broken ones?? I need that back plastic panel on the back door, a CD changer, a dome light, front bumper, and the shift lever for the tranny. Email me at donknight82@hotmail.com or call at (509) 230-2291. Thanks.

The problem with isuzu is that they never went the extra mile to make a better truck.

The vehicross deserved a better engine than this junkie 3.5L with a more powerfull transmission & T-case.

An 215 hp engine for a 4000 pounds truck is just too weak + all the backward stuff that happens along with
    Dakar was just the begining.

Superman, I may be able to help you out with ONE of your issues. Once you do pry the hood open there are two rubber bump stops, one on each side of the engine bay, at the front of the VX. I believe that they are on the bulkhead in front of the radiator. If you unscrew those stops so that they become taller (for lack of a better description) they should help to hold the hood up a little so that it doesn't become wedged into the hood latch. Also, try squirting a little grease on the hood latch mechanism to help lube it up.
    Worth a try.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    The problem with isuzu is that they never went the extra mile to make a better truck.
    The vehicross deserved a better engine than this junkie 3.5L with a more powerfull transmission & T-case.
    An 215 hp engine for a 4000 pounds truck is just too weak + all the backward stuff that happens along with
    The VX was the fastest truck sold when it was new except for the Grand Cherokee and I don't think most people have had any problem with their engine or transmission (knock on wood). Of course 18 inch wheels used to be considered unbelievably huge too. How times have changed in the last 10 years and how cars have grown in size and speed and power. Must be that awful GM forcing gas guzzlers on people again.
    Canadian VXer!

Remember cars when the asians started importing

12 month 12000 mile warranties. If the car didnt fall apart driving off the lot it blew up when hit. While the Big 3 always could stuff a huge motor in a huge chunk of metal they never really did design a decent looking fine lined automobile. Although the older vettes were pretty hot.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
    The VX was the fastest truck sold when it was new except for the Grand Cherokee and I don't think most people have had any problem with their engine or transmission (knock on wood). Of course 18 inch wheels used to be considered unbelievably huge too. How times have changed in the last 10 years and how cars have grown in size and speed and power. Must be that awful GM forcing gas guzzlers on people again.

Even though the VX was one of the fastest (so they said) on the road back in 1999 isuzu fail to follow the path almost all manufactures did when the designed a prototype or a concept vehicule which is adding a nice & unique engine at least to impress the media & fans.

The vehicross deserved to run on no less than 290 Hp engine (3,8 or 4.0L) as how the 1rst generation of acura MDX does.

When i say that isuzu f...... us all,especially those who paid $30,000 + back 1999 for a vehicule ranging the price of a luxury vehicule i meant isuzu built this unique vehicule on a cheap manufacturing process & dropped a engine that barely move all that mass of 4000lbs of iron & plus with all the flaws following that such as windows,noon lubricating cylinders,oil burning,no equipment for rear view as how the JDM has,CD junkie changers,no cup holders,no sunroof, etc.

I still love the VX,but when i think about it just makes me feel so mad

If you know about the auto building process

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    Even though the VX was one of the fastest (so they said) on the road back in 1999 isuzu fail to follow the path almost all manufactures did when the designed a prototype or a concept vehicule which is adding a nice & unique engine at least to impress the media & fans.

The vehicross deserved to run on no less than 290 Hp engine (3,8 or 4.0L) as how the 1rst generation of acura MDX does.

When i say that isuzu f...... us all,especially those who paid $30,000 + back 1999 for a vehicule ranging the price of a luxury vehicule i meant isuzu built this unique vehicule on a cheap manufacturing process & dropped a engine that barely move all that mass of 4000lbs of iron & plus with all the flaws following that such as windows,noon lubricating cylinders,oil burning,no equipment for rear view as how the JDM has,CD junkie changers,no cup holders,no sunroof, etc.

I still love the VX,but when i think about it just makes me feel so mad
    as much as you claim you will realize there is a huge difference between designing and building a small production run specialty vehicle and a mass market looks likes every other car on the road and shares the parts of every vehicle in the line. The VX is too unique to produce in mass numbers. Even at the small run they had it did not sell well. Therefore all production costs and new parts are shared by the few people who purchased them. A larger engine would have changed weight distribution, Increase torque would require larger and stronger drive train parts. All while adding more weight to the vehicle. I bought my VX new as well. I negotiated what I paid, i took care of my VX and while I have had a few issues windows, rear wheel cylinder leak and a TOD connection needing replace I feel after 7-8 years it has been like a rock and very dependable. BTW I have had my VX over 100mph which is as fast as I want to do. As it is designed as a combo Sports SUV you cant expect Porsche Carrera sports car performance and Toyota Highlander 4 wheel performance with Honda Civic reliability all in one car. To this day I would not trade my VX even up with any of the cars on the road today.

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    as much as you claim you will realize there is a huge difference between designing and building a small production run specialty vehicle and a mass market looks likes every other car on the road and shares the parts of every vehicle in the line. The VX is too unique to produce in mass numbers. Even at the small run they had it did not sell well. Therefore all production costs and new parts are shared by the few people who purchased them. A larger engine would have changed weight distribution, Increase torque would require larger and stronger drive train parts. All while adding more weight to the vehicle. I bought my VX new as well. I negotiated what I paid, i took care of my VX and while I have had a few issues windows, rear wheel cylinder leak and a TOD connection needing replace I feel after 7-8 years it has been like a rock and very dependable. BTW I have had my VX over 100mph which is as fast as I want to do. As it is designed as a combo Sports SUV you cant expect Porsche Carrera sports car performance and Toyota Highlander 4 wheel performance with Honda Civic reliability all in one car. To this day I would not trade my VX even up with any of the cars on the road today.
    I'm well aware of all the above,but it doesn't exempt isuzu from being "lazy" trying to do better on the development of the VX performance.

No body debates the reliability of the VX,as all isuzu's on the road right now it's well built,however isuzu was able to 'add' more to the VX for the amount of money the VX was priced in 1999.

If in order for isuzu to add more to the VX was requiring to add heavier drivetrain parts,better & stronger engine & all the stuff you mentioned i'll be up for that,that's why the grand cherokee was faster yet still heavier then the VX.

I wish i can able to swap this 3.5L for a MDX engine which if fact shares a lot common things.

For $ 30,000 the customer deserved more & that's why the VX wasn't sold well good to the point dealers had to come down with deals to get them outter their lots,that was a shame having in consideration that the VX is a unique vehicule.

I used to try and sell cars for a living

2 hard and fast rules;

1. Never buy the first year model of a vehicle
    2. Never pay sticker price