Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: #580 is now SUPERCHARGED!

#580 is now SUPERCHARGED!

Ok - it's official - my proton is now Supercharged!

I was part of the original 10 who bought the Alpine kit from Tone off the old ClubVMag forum - it's been sitting in the box in my basement until recently. I just never had the time for the install. Since LOML was out of town for a week, I took the opportunity to head up to John Schellenberg's place on Saturday to begin the install - the timing was good for us both since school doesn't start for him until today. It took all day Saturday and most of Sunday to get everything right.

Some notes and suggestions on the install:
    1. Prior Engine Bay Cleaning - I suggest to anyone thinking of installing the SC to clean the engine bay well - There was a lot of sand and debris that we had to remove from surfaces - especially the cylinder heads, once the old Intake Manifold was removed. We wiped out the gunk in the ports using rags soaked in brake cleaner, the vacuumed out the debris using a tiny vacuum attachment bought at Lowes. Then did more wiping until it was spotless. It's amazing how dirty the original manifold was - literally caked in greasy gunk.
    2. Photos and Labeling - take photos of everything before you take a piece off the motor - then label every connector and hose before moving aside. We missed a couple and spent a lot of head-scratching time figuring things out.
    3. Poor directions - as stated before the Alpine directions are a joke. They don't even approximate what's needed for this install. The most useful document for us was the vacuum hose diagram that came from the Supercharger 101 thread. The next SC John installs I plan to take step-by-step photos and detail everything. There were a lot of questions about how the parts fit together - also things could have been a lot smoother if the assembly order was changed a bit.
    4. Fuel Injectors and "0" Rings - Everything went together smoothly - if you use some silicon spray (apply to finger then to the "O" ring), everything pops right in - the only issue we had was that one didn't seat right and you can't tell until the system is pressurized - fixing the issue requiried dissembly - and once the "O" rings get fuel on them they swell - this was a real PITA and took probably the most time out of the whole install.
    5. ECU Codes - I came prepared with a OBD II meter to clear codes - remarkably we didn't have a single engine code. I think this can be attributed to hooking up all the electronics and vacuum lines before turning over the ignition. We did have one puzzling problem with the Fuel Pump relay - it would rapidly click and flash the interior trouble lights - we figured out that it was the engine ground - we had it in a valve cover bolt (the valve covers must either be made of a non-conductive alloy or the coating prevents metal contact) - moving the grounds to the fuel rail (something we really didn't want to do), corrected the issue.
    6. Cruise Control Bracket and Cable - I found a cable and "bracket" in the box and forgotten than they were sent to me early on - the elongated cable would work, but the bracket sent to me was a joke - it's the same as the throttle bracket only bent in and I'm guessing designed to fit on the end of the throttle bracket supplied with the SC - if that's what's shipping now I may just design something else to as one piece for them both. As it is, the supplied throttle bracket had to be straighted quite a bit, and the angle altered to work.
    7. Extra Parts - something you never want on an assembly like this are inexplicable parts - there were several "weird" parts that presumably were for a Trooper install (one 2" air duct extension looks like it's supposed to be added to the bottom of the OEM air filter cannister - seen from one of the Alpine photos). I'm guessing that the kit I have is basically a Trooper kit with different instructions - it also came with a square-faced throttle body adapter and other bits and pieces that weren't used. It would be good to compile a list with pictures of what is used and not - same goes for the vacuum tubing instructions - the diagram helped but some things aren't used (the evap canister for instance) and it's not exactly obvious. It took a bit of research on all the SC threads on the info site to figure things out.

Impressions? It's really amazing the amount of throttle response and torque I'm now getting - even with the AC blasting full force. Passing is a breeze and now effortless, even at speed. I'm very pleased. I decided to put the stock kit on but will eventually go with the 5 lb. pulley and machined aluminum nose - I want to get some dyno numbers before doing so (I had went with Cyrk 2 years ago and got dyno numbers of the nearly stock Proton - I want to see what the improvement of the basic kit is to nearly stock, then with the smaller pulley).

I've still got to work out the intake (doing a hybrid of the supplied piping and a cone filter) and create a code air box - once I have those and dress up the bay a bit I'll post some pics. John's already looking at the possibility of making some real headers for it - I'm not sure if there's enough tube length, but opening up the overall size to the tail pipe should help out a lot (there's a restrictive part in there that reduces the exhaust to about 1.5 inches in the OEM config).

-- John
    Last edited by johnnyapollo : 08/06/2007 at 05:55 AM
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Congrats! and enjoy, bout time you installed it. Mine is running like crap. I got a call into John to see if he can help me out.

Thumbs up

Excellent! Glad to hear this ended up going as smoothly as it sounds!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Congrats John!!!

That 2" hose is probably for the new hole you're supposed to cut into the airbox. I mentioned this in a post recently - I only learned about it by searching old supercharger install threads.

Morgan-Tec has no intake tubes for supercharger installs. We don't need much - just a straight tube of the right size & length with some sort of mounting bracket to attach where the old airbox did. If you find one, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm going to have to get some 3" PVC and duct tape from Home Depot. :-)

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

CONGRATS on finally getting it done...don't know how you & WG could sit on such a tasty mod for so long...woulda driven me nuts having more ponies sittin' in a box in the basement for that long.

But that's just me...

I've been looking at 350z and Civic SI intakes - I may just buy a 3" CF tube and cut it to length. I can always get a chrome angle turn to attach the top to the TB. I'm a bit concerned about the temp sensor, though. Suggestions?

-- John

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub
    CONGRATS on finally getting it done...don't know how you & WG could sit on such a tasty mod for so long...woulda driven me nuts having more ponies sittin' in a box in the basement for that long.

But that's just me...
    Its called procrastination brutha! I am a Certified Lazy Toad.

Just to add, I bought the Civic SI C/F intake and modded it to work with the S/C and well, 1/2 of Tone's green filter. I will snag some pics of it later tonight if I can remember. Looks !@#$ing great and with the wider C/F intake resevoir, you get a pretty meaty sound out of the air being vacuumed in through it. It's not 100% done, but neither is most of what I have started on my VX, heh.

Wormgod, please post links to what you got. I too need an intake tube that works with the S/C install.

I've got a guy who will make me a 3" diameter, 0.03 thick CF tube up to 21 inches in length, and is willing to bond flanges on the ends plus reinforce areas for the temp sensor and any bonding points - price is very cheap but I'm not sure if he can make the turn (would need to buy a bend to place between the TB and top of the tube). I'm thinking it's about 22 degrees but I haven't had time to measure yet. Can you measure the length of that Green filter (I'm assuming you got the one with the heat shield and ventura tip) - I'll need to factor that in. Also any pics would be helpful.

-- John

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyapollo
    I've been looking at 350z and Civic SI intakes - I may just buy a 3" CF tube and cut it to length. I can always get a chrome angle turn to attach the top to the TB. I'm a bit concerned about the temp sensor, though. Suggestions?

-- John
    FWIW, I drilled a hole in my modified civic intake tube the same size as in the OEM/Alpine one, & snapped the grommet/IAT in to the hole & extended the wires to make the connection.

Quote Originally Posted by VehiGAZ
    Wormgod, please post links to what you got. I too need an intake tube that works with the S/C install.
    As you can see, I forgot to snap a pic last night. Boy.... thats surprising! Making a stronger mental note to make sure to pull the VX into the garage tonight and snap a pic. I dont take pics in the driveway anymore since everytime I seem to be doing something with it in the driveway, some neighbors have to stop by to see "what I am doing to it now".

I should do it tonight though, considering I got a new airflow sensor and need to put it it. Perfect opportunity to bag 2 birds with one stone.

Can anyone provide dimensions of the Green filter from Tone? I've got mine on order and need the distance from end-to-end to get the CF tube made for the intake.

-- John

Johnny, I have the Calimin filter on mine (cone-shaped but not pointy). It's about 10" or 11" though, minus an inch or so that overlaps the end of the MAF sensor.

are you talking about the twister cone w/ the heat shield? here are the numbers from green performance's website

Green Filter
    Part # Inlet Diameter Length Diameter Base Diameter Top
    XL 2501 3-11/32" (85mm) 10" 7.5" 3"
    XXL 2505 3-3.4" (95mm) 11" 8" 4"

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"