Thread: HD radio Q's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

HD radio Q's

Hey guys,
    After getting my VX a couple months ago I noticed that the radio reception isn't great (definitely not as good as the '06 Pathy, the misses '02 Highlander, or any of my old cars). After having it for a few weeks I upgraded to a new Alpine deck and the radio reception still isn't that great. Would upgrading to HD radio (the Alpine deck is HD compatible) greatly improve the signal? Is there some better internal antenna that I can get? Please advise.
    06 Nissan Pathfinder LE - Storm Grey/Graphite - Westin Ultimate Bull Guard, PIAA 540 Lights, 35% tints, Nissan iPod Integration
    01 Isuzu VehiCROSS - Kaiser Silver/Grey, Westin Ultimate Bull Guard, PIAA 520 Lights, 35% Mirror Tints, Alpine CDA-9883 Deck, Kenwood KFC-1661S 3-way Speakers

I kept my same radio problems simple. Installed Sirius that runs through my Pioneer Premier P930. Reception issue solved unless of course there is something on local radio you need to hear.
    George, Cary, & Roxie the English Bulldog..''99 silver #1897

having an HD radio does nothing different to sound quality for normal radio stations. If you have an HD broadcaster in your area, those stations will have a bit better sound... Almost unnoticeable using the stock speakers...

I bought an HD radio for my VX... there are only about 3 or 4 stations here in Vegas that actually has HD compatibility. and only one station I use...
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

Arrow

You may want to check and verify the antenna is getting power as it's an amplified unit. Very often one of connectors has pulled loose, especially with new stereo installations, or its fuse may have failed. Although it's more rare, the amplified section (the antenna base) can fail as well. I've found the VX antennas very effective, but left one disconnected from power once after a new radio install and the subsequent poor reception tipped me off to what I had forgotten. So make certain your antenna is functioning properly before throwing unnecessary $$$ at the problem.

As for HD radio, my opinion is that satellite is the way to go. You get to listen to what you want, when you want and at least with Sirius the music channels are 100% commercial free. No matter how much better HD may be over regular FM, there isn't any need to hear ads or mouthy announcers "better". Since installing satellite in our vehicles we haven't listened to AM or FM ever, there simply isn't the need. Heck, the CD player rarely gets used!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

HD radio ticks me off, since HD does not mean high-definition, it doesn't even mean anything, its just two letters. Which is another way of saying that they want to trick people into thinking it is like HDTV when it really isn't at all.

FWIW, the wikipedia article says that a lot of 2nd and 3rd gen HD Radio tuners have craptastic sensitivity, while others are pretty good. It does not name names though.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I don't want to go to Sat radio because it is a second car that I don't drive that much (don't want to pay $10/month for a 3-4k miles/yr car). There are plenty of stations that broadcast in HD in my car so I thought it would be the way to go. I don't think that the antenna came loose during the install because the reception wasn't that good before. And I do have aftermarket speakers in it. So... I guess the answer is to keep the stereo the way it is and listen to my iPod (I have the Alpine connector so it is sitting in my glovebox) more often. Thanks.