Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Doh!!!!

Angry Doh!!!!

This morning the wife and I were headed out to the VX to go to my company picnic. It just so happened that last night when we got home I backed into our spot. This turned out to be a good thing because as I walked up to open her door I glanced at something that caught my eye in the wheel well.

This is what I saw….

So right away I new my CV boot was torn. Hoping I was wrong I got down and looked and sure enough…

AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH.

Things just get worse and worse…. When I need money for one thing another pops up, then another, then another…

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

I'd say...good catch, you saved yourself a pile-o-dough by catching it early.

I like that you open the ladies door first...must be over 30 Dust off your wrenches, and use the search function

Try the duct tape and frequent greasing solution. You may nurse it for a couple weeks...if you are in a tight spot. Careful man...this has the potential to turn pricey...really quickly. Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper
    I like that you open the ladies door first...must be over 30 Dust off your wrenches, and use the search function
    27 actually

Now this (bad CV’s) has been apparently pinpointed for an issue that some other VXers (tom4bren to be exact) have concerning a grinding/vibration noise at high speeds. I was thinking about just changing the whole axles, do you really think just the boots is a good idea or just a cheaper way to handle the current situation?

I'd just change the axles....but I'm seriously anal, and prone to changing out parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper
    I'd just change the axles....but I'm seriously anal, and prone to changing out parts.
    I was thinking that... Autozone shows they have or can get them.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

And another way to go would be replacing all the boots, cleaning out the old grease & re-packing the CV's with fresh grease.
    IMO, the meca-tech kit from www.independent4x.com is the shizz.
    It contains everything you need, including grease.
    I'm more prone to using parts until they break...

Decisions decisions.

Arrow

BOTH of my outer boots are split! I have the boot kits I need (with grease) but I need time to do the job... SOON!!!!
    Sold the VX 11-21-07. It was fun while I had it!
    Thanks for all the help.

Once again I am left with the feeling that lifting my VX is something I should not do....

Sorry Clint, let us Reno boys know if you need a hand mending your VX.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask
    Once again I am left with the feeling that lifting my VX is something I should not do....

Sorry Clint, let us Reno boys know if you need a hand mending your VX.

Bart
    Yeah I am thinking about lowering my nose back down and saying the heck with it. I know the lift is just the 2 inches or so of clearance but the places we’ve been around here don’t require a lift really. Maybe I'll make it about a 1 inch lift like your thinking.

Maybe I will buy one of those scooters you see around and just drive the VX on occasion from now on. I really need to start walking to work anyway, it’s only a 20 minute walk. Yes that is about a 5 minute drive and yes I am that lazy. This month I get the Employee of the month spot but that really isn’t worth ruining my engine.

Normally I am the type of guy who takes all the bad stuff that piles up and says ok lets work on it and move on, there is nothing that can change what’s happened but man when it rains it pours….

I have a question. Do you do any serious off-roading or did your boot tear just from normal driving? I can see where having it lifted plus doing serious off-roading will put a lot of extra stress on the boot but not just from normal driving?
    Peace.
    Tom

p.s.
    Who going to win Saturday night?
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Quote Originally Posted by tomdietrying
    I have a question. Do you do any serious off-roading or did your boot tear just from normal driving? I can see where having it lifted plus doing serious off-roading will put a lot of extra stress on the boot but not just from normal driving?
    Peace.
    Tom
    Well, I do off road but not crazy like Moab or anything. Just go in the mountains and drive around and mostly on dirt roads, but there are occasions where I will take an old road that is really rough or rutted. I am sure that the off roading didn’t help as well as I am sure these are original. I am not making a case against the lift but it just seems like most of the noises and now problems generated after I lifted it and now wondering how much I “need” it. If I decide to go back to semi-normal it will be tough cause VX’s look great lifted.

Quote Originally Posted by tomdietrying
    p.s.
    Who going to win Saturday night?
    I always think Randy is in for a tough one but that’s the way he likes people to think about him, cause it gives him that much more fire. I really want him to win, he schooled Tim Silvia but I really never thought Tim was the greatest fighter to begin with. Gonzaga poses an intersting chalange with Randy that he has had a hard time with in the past, big guy who is great at BJJ.