Thread: Got $ for engine, any other ideas???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My understanding is that the 3.5 is the 3.2 block bored to a larger size - that's why the intake plenum is interchangeable. To put the direct injected engine in the VX it would take more than the motor and computer - I believe there's other stuff to replace too - it's basically an entirely different under-hood setup (drive-by-wire throttle - not sure about that but the harness and cableing look different). That same ECU also manages the Axiom's stability control system (missing on the VX - it was offered on the Axiom, Rodeo and Trooper starting in 2002) - I'm not sure what the absence of those control systems would do in a ECU swap (maybe nothing), but it could potentially throw codes if it can't find that part of the harness.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

I've always had a Nissan VQ engine/6sp gearbox swap, rattling around in my head. Lot more work and dollars than your thinking of though.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Changing engine types in vehicles is a hobby for the rich and idle. It can be done, but at much expense and time and and headache. Not a project for normal people...

Also - JDM engines will likely not meet US emissions standards.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyapollo
    My understanding is that the 3.5 is the 3.2 block bored to a larger size - that's why the intake plenum is interchangeable. To put the direct injected engine in the VX it would take more than the motor and computer - I believe there's other stuff to replace too - it's basically an entirely different under-hood setup (drive-by-wire throttle - not sure about that but the harness and cableing look different). That same ECU also manages the Axiom's stability control system (missing on the VX - it was offered on the Axiom, Rodeo and Trooper starting in 2002) - I'm not sure what the absence of those control systems would do in a ECU swap (maybe nothing), but it could potentially throw codes if it can't find that part of the harness.

-- John

thats too bad... guess i better start taking better care of my engine (j/k don't worry... i do take good care of it )

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"