Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cross Drilled or Slotted Rotors??

Cross Drilled or Slotted Rotors??

I am looking into redo my rotors i came across a few kinds such as slotted or cross drilled... I was just wondering the opions or people who had exp with each? Which is better?

Careful...many are prone to cracking. The drilled ones especially. Don't go cheap...you may regret it. I'm using "Frozen Rotors." They've stood up, very well, to track abuse. They may be a bit overkill for a street vehicle, but that's not a bad thing...and I'm pretty certain they are made in VX sizes. Check 'em out...(and they look good)

I think i saw them i am also saw R1 concepts looks like theres is nice.

I checked for Frozen rotor website and they had no sizes for Vx anyone else no good name for rotors?

Thumbs up

I just installed a full set of the Frozen Rotors on the IronMan along with Axxis Ultimate pads and am very satisfied with the results. The rotors were obtained from TireRack and are the same fitment as Trooper/Rodeo.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

the point behind both is to get hot air away from the rotors and allow colder air in, the cooler that area is, the better your brakes will work and the less fade they will experience
    imo both generally do the same thing but I have heard people claim the cross drilled rotors are more prone to cracking, I have cross drilled ones on my A4 and slotted on the VX,
    personally, I don't believe any of us will be taking our VX on track anytime soon (I may be way off base on that but it seems like more people off-road them than track them) so I doubt you will have to worry about the potential problem with the cross drilled rotors,
    the ones on my A4 have held up nicely but I only do 1-2 track events a year so that's hardly a lot of abuse, if you planned on going to a lot of track events I probably would stay away from the cross drilled ones but for me, it came down to price and availability, I don't think either will wear out anytime soon for my purposes

beware of cross drilled rotors if you plan to offroad, a few people have mentioned small pebbles can get wedged in the holes and take chunks out of your brake pads... although i guess in baltimore there isnt much offroading

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    beware of cross drilled rotors if you plan to offroad, a few people have mentioned small pebbles can get wedged in the holes and take chunks out of your brake pads... although i guess in baltimore there isnt much offroading
    I'll be your guinea pig! I live on a long, windy dirt road with lots 'o' lots of small pebbles and have had the R1 Concepts & PBR/AXXIS Ultimate Pads installed since the first week of July with no problems so far....let you guys know if I have any!
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 08/20/2007 at 07:30 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

I have both cross-drilled and slotted rotors - no structural issues at all, but I don't recommend them because of the constant dust that scatters when you brake - the dust impregnates your wheels and can score the chrome or polished aluminum - in some cases when the dust gets wet it will pit your wheels - at minimum it's a pita to get off. The other issue is that the constant cutting action wears your pads down very quickly - something to consider.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyapollo
    I have both cross-drilled and slotted rotors - no structural issues at all, but I don't recommend them because of the constant dust that scatters when you brake - the dust impregnates your wheels and can score the chrome or polished aluminum - in some cases when the dust gets wet it will pit your wheels - at minimum it's a pita to get off. The other issue is that the constant cutting action wears your pads down very quickly - something to consider.

-- John
    What pads are you using ?

Stock Isuzu pads - someone posted a review of several and the stock pads won out as the best from the group tested on the VX.

-- John

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Stock Isuzu pads - someone posted a review of several and the stock pads won out as the best from the group tested on the VX.

-- John
    The reason I asked is because I've always thought the stock pads did a great job of stopping me before impact, but I also like the fact that that they're nearly dust free compared to other cars I've owned. The increased dusting with drilled/slotted rotors is something I haven't heard of before.
    Thanks.

Power Slot rotors... been using them for ever on my VX, with the stock pads... no problems.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...ar=&perfCode=S

Slots basically carve away the pad - the more you brake the more that gets removed (the new surface provides better braking). Cross drilling provides better ventilation to diminish heat associated with braking (as does venting - VX discs are already vented).

-- John

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    the dust impregnates your wheels
    Is that where 14" wheels come from?