Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cross Drilled or Slotted Rotors??

He Cyrk, what caliper paint did u use and how is it holding up im painting mine soon as well.

Thumbs down

I used G2 and now it is starting to peel...

Arrow

SP Performance cross drilled and slotted. With EBC green brake pads.

I would strongly suggest you get your discs with a nickel plating coating or such. I got mine with just the shipping coating that wears off after a bit, so then I have to paint them to keep them from showing rust at the edges and in the grooves.

The EBC pads I use are "stickier" than the stock, but give a tad more dust. It takes a week to build up a layer than you can see. I'd recommend stock from Merlin, they're only a tad more than EBC.

BTW, I don't really see the benefit for "high temp" paint on our calipers. I used Tremclad primer and then fire red enamel (3 coats).
    With a good cleaning, they still look like the day I painted them 2 years ago - no flaking or adverse effects from braking heat (they even stood up to a bit of brake fluid)

R1 Concepts

I am running the R1 Concepts pads and drilled/slotted rotors. Quite honestly, I am not happy with my brake situation at the moment. I find that I have to stand on the brake pedal sometimes to get my VX stopped in a hurry. With my stock rotors and pads I could stop on a dime. However, my problem is, I don't know if it is the pads or the rotors that suck (or both). I am probably going to replace my R1 pads with some stock pads and see if it makes a difference. If not, then I will do away with the R1 rotors and try something else....

That said, Biju has had good results with his R1s, but I don't think he has R1 pads, and I know he also has better brake lines installed as well. Hopefully he will chime in...

Bart

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask
    I am running the R1 Concepts pads and drilled/slotted rotors. Quite honestly, I am not happy with my brake situation at the moment. I find that I have to stand on the brake pedal sometimes to get my VX stopped in a hurry. With my stock rotors and pads I could stop on a dime. However, my problem is, I don't know if it is the pads or the rotors that suck (or both). I am probably going to replace my R1 pads with some stock pads and see if it makes a difference. If not, then I will do away with the R1 rotors and try something else....

That said, Biju has had good results with his R1s, but I don't think he has R1 pads, and I know he also has better brake lines installed as well. Hopefully he will chime in...

Bart
    I too had to stand on my brakes to stay stopped (and weren't enough to stop me on down slopes ) and went through the whole upgrade thing...
    ss brake lines, bleed-bleed-bleeeeeeed...., discs, and finally new pads.

In the end I found it was the new pads (being thicker added to the thicker new discs). It wasn't anything with grip, I seemed to need more meat - the pistons appeared to be "reaching" too much with the worn pads and worn discs. Doesn't make too much sense when thinking in terms of brake line pressure... but now it grips as I step down and locks up about 75% of the way when stopped - as opposed to having to keep it to the floor to stay stopped.

Kenny,

Thanks for posting this. What you describe is EXACTLY what I am having trouble with. If I am going say 50mph on a downgrade, and I have to brake hard for some idiot in front of me who didn't put his indicator on, I have to mash HARD on my brakes.

So, what you are saying is that the pads are not thick enough to "reach" the rotor? It sounds like I need to invest in some new pads....

Rip the system,

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny
    I too had to stand on my brakes to stay stopped (and weren't enough to stop me on down slopes ) and went through the whole upgrade thing...
    ss brake lines, bleed-bleed-bleeeeeeed...., discs, and finally new pads.

In the end I found it was the new pads (being thicker added to the thicker new discs). It wasn't anything with grip, I seemed to need more meat - the pistons appeared to be "reaching" too much with the worn pads and worn discs. Doesn't make too much sense when thinking in terms of brake line pressure... but now it grips as I step down and locks up about 75% of the way when stopped - as opposed to having to keep it to the floor to stay stopped.

Arrow

I chose the Axxis pads based on what a lot of the Subie crowd was running at the rallycross events and rallysprints, plus there are a couple of VX'ers who have had great results with them.
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Talking

I'm running R1 Concepts with PBR/AXXIS Ultimate Pads with Independent 4X4 S.S. brake lines and flushed the braking system before refilling with Valvoline Synthetic dot 3 & 4 brake fluid (still glycol based).

I spiked the brakes at about 50mph after they were broke in and it stopped on a dime & gave me 9 cents of change back! I just hope it stays that way!

I did alot of reading on the internet about drilled, slotted rotors to understand it myself. As mentioned in earlier posts....cross-drilled rotors help to vent/shed heat away. Slotted rotors help to "scrape" or "freshen" the pad surface to keep your pads at optimum levels of performance. Drilled & Slotted rotors supposedly offer both features in one package.

Reading this I would expect more amounts of brake dust from slotted rotors as they are scraping the pads. I have noticed more brake dust on my wheels but simply clean them periodically with wheel cleaner when washing the VX.
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 08/21/2007 at 04:33 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

OK so from what i hear a lot you of have the R1 Concept rotors so i will be getting me them as well thanks for all your inputs im sure ill be pleased

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardmen3477
    OK so from what i hear a lot you of have the R1 Concept rotors so i will be getting me them as well thanks for all your inputs im sure ill be pleased
    Now, was all that advice worth at least $20?

Check into the cross dimpled rotors as well, i am running cross dimpled and slotted rotors on the xc90 and love them.
    Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny
    Now, was all that advice worth at least $20?

Nice catch.

lol yea it was!

So what about R1 Concept and the pads they give with the rotors? are they any good?

never mind ,just read all thread again and found my answer.
    From what i read here most people got pretty good results wiht R1 concept`s rotors and axxis pads, am i correct?