Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Someone help me understand....

Someone help me understand....

OK, aside from the VX, one of my all time favorite off-road vehicles has always been the Land Rover Defender. I would LOVE to have one someday, one just like this (except not yellow):

ebay

But, for the life of me, I don't understand why these trucks are so damn expensive??? I mean, I am seeing Defenders with 125,000 miles on them listed for $25,000-$30,000???? I mean, I know they are somewhat rare, but no more rare than a VX. So what is the deal really? Are they just made like tanks and never break down?

I don't know much about Land Rovers and their history, so I figured I would ask and see if anyone can shed some light on this truck and why the heck it value remains so high?

Bart

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Demand higher than supply = worth more.

Supply higher than demand = worth less.

This has been your "Uncle Dub" condensed course in economics.

The End.

Oh, almost forgot...

Other factors that can have an effect on the value of material goods...

What the people with the money are willing to pay.

The opinion of people who are friends of said people with money.

The perception that something is worth more because it is:

A. Imported

B. Several of said friends already own one.

C. If it has real wood trim on the dash or steering wheel.

D. All of the above & a bunch of stuff I haven't thought of yet...
    Last edited by Ldub : 08/21/2007 at 06:19 PM

I like the D90 as well, but I also like the old FJ-40's - they can fetch a hefty penny too... like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...QQcmdZViewItem

I don't understand it myself. But I know I have spent quite a bit of money on my own Jeeps in building them!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Lightbulb

LR refused to make them US DOT compliant with airbags and such or meet more stringent emissions requirements, so there were only a few years you could get them and at that in limited numbers. The bodies are aluminum which makes for another premium, but mostly it's the scarcity+popularity=exclusivity equation. I came very close to purchasing one (much against my "no British cars" rule) from Reeve's LR in Tampa back in '95, then they were gone in '96 and back for just '97 and that was the end of that. From there they've not moved very much from the original sticker of just over $30K.

Now there are alternatives however, as you can sometimes find "imported" both the Defender 90 and the 5-door Defender 110. These are the military versions of course, but that gets you a diesel option as well. Getting them in is the tricky part as you can currently only import a vehicle over 25 years old to avoid meeting DOT and EPA requirements, but there are exceptions and grey areas if you've got the patience and $$$. Here's one exporter specializing in LR and they've got some basic info on what and why you can't bring in: http://www.landrovercentre.com/usa/which.htm
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

I've wondered that myself as typically LR's depreciate like a rock. My opinion is pretty much the same as the others have already said; these vehicles are simply very scarce in the states and I believe they've gotten a well-earned rep for truly go-anywhere-in-the-world stamina
    Make sure you're happy with your mechanic though, I've loved the looks of LR's for a while, but their reliability and build quality has never been a strong point, especially for the price you pay

Buy an old Ford Bronco convertible and add the same options and save tens of thousands of dollars.

Talking

Here is an affordable one for you: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS
    Hmm, 1600 views and no bids...ending in two hours, might be able to get it for opening bid price...and you could also use it on a mail/newspaper route!

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    No rust? I can tell that's a lie from the other side of the country.

OK, thanks guys. I guess it is truly a phenomenon.

The good news is, by that same rational, our VXes should be worth tons of money soon too!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by VehiGAZ
    No rust? I can tell that's a lie from the other side of the country.
    Actually, (as Joe has already pointed out) those old LR's had an aluminum body, so there would not be any rust... on the body panels, anyway.

Hey it came with a wench so that might be a good deal if she were pretty and did not have british teeth

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS
    I like the D90 as well, but I also like the old FJ-40's - they can fetch a hefty penny too... like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...QQcmdZViewItem

I don't understand it myself. But I know I have spent quite a bit of money on my own Jeeps in building them!

Here is an FJ for you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...QQcmdZViewItem

Just right down the road from me too.

Defender 90 craving?

My sister bought a brand new one in 98. Yep, lots of money. Before it was a year old, it was in the shop 6 times for various leaks, breakdowns, etc. Everytime we did any water crossings, her front lamps filled with water and eventually shorted the lamp electrical system. It was an awesome vehicle with a good warranty and a lot of fun, but it was in the shop WAY TO MUCH. Talk to a current long time owner before you make the leap. Maybe the newer ones are better.

I came very close to purchasing one (much against my "no British cars" rule) from Reeve's LR in Tampa back in '95, then they were gone in '96 and back for just '97 and that was the end of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trudy Carp
    My sister bought a brand new one in 98. Yep, lots of money... Maybe the newer ones are better.
    Guess not, since that WAS a new one!