Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Magnetic Bra

Magnetic Bra

I took the magnetic bra off of the Proton yesterday and found some kind of tacky residue all over.

I rubbed and rubbed with clay bar & got most of it off. I still need to try a few other products to get the rest.

What worries me most though is that all along the edge where the trim secures the bra, there is a pattern of the trim. I can't tell if it's pressed into the paint or if it's just more of the residue that hasn't come off yet.

I'll post again after I finish getting her cleaned up but Y'all may want to check yours.

BTW, I'm not blaming the bra yet. It may have just been the wax I used before I installed it or maybe I should have been more diligent about cleaning and drying under it.

So... did it hose anything up? I still have mine in a box because of this post.
    Fuzzy
    2001 Proton #1413
    Kaneohe, HI

It cleaned up pretty good but there were still a couple of areas that I still need to polish some more.

Since I'm the only one that seems to have had this issue, I'll take the blame that I didn't prep the hood well enough (or take off the bra after each rain & dry it real good - I procrastinate & forget).

I put mine back on already & will keep an eye on things for a while. If I notice anything else, I'll post.

Fuzzy, I'd say go for it, they really look great.

I have a magnetic bra coming. I read this thread and the earlier comprehensive development thread (and, yes, Bob Lefevre is still offering forum members the $39 price, $49.95 to your door.)

I think all of the installed pictures that I have seen are on VX's without the rubber headlight seals. The leading edge of the hood looks like it sits pretty flush onto my headlight seals. Does anyone have a magnetic bra installed on a VX with the headlight perimeter rubbers in place? Any issues with the retaining trim pushing down/separating the headlight seals?

My email to Bob about the forum price:

Hi, Bob,
    I'm a member of the vehicross.info group. If this price is still good, that would be great, if not, just email me your PayPal account name and I'll tack on another $10. I need an Isuzu VehiCROSS bra in black. If you could leave off the "Magnetic Bra" logo, that would be great also. I'll let everyone know where it came from but I'm not keen to logos on my VX products. In fact, if you want to throw in some business cards I'll keep them in the glove box for when people ask about the bra. There are many car nuts here in the Monterey area, but I have never seen one of these bras locally. We have alot of sand on the road here from the beaches and lots of cars with "pocked" leading-edge hoods. Anyway, your reputation precedes you on the vehicross.info site and I'm just now enjoying my 3rd week of ownership of my "new" VehiCROSS, so this is actually one of the first mods that I will do. Thanks for your time and I look forward to installing your product, Bren.

Bob's email back:

Hello Bren:
    A couple more notes: You can pinch the edge trim and then install it to make it fit tight at the corners. Also, I think there is a logo on the bra but it's just a decal and you can remove it easily by lifting the edge with a pocket knife. Thanks again. Bob Lefevre

Bob seems like a stand-up guy and I would like to think those on this site that assisted in the development of the bra and have offered their bra care experience and lessons learned.
    Bren Workman
    Gretna, NE
    (C) 402-312-1992

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    or take off the bra after each rain & dry it real good - I procrastinate & forget).
    Any kind of bra is for traveling only, the longer you leave it on when not traveling the more issues will crop up. (dust & dirt accumulating underneath will act as sandpaper on the paint, wetness/dampness will begin to cloud the paint with a film, sunshine will gradually fade all of your paint "except" that covered by the bra...therefore you get like a tan-line effect.)

Hope this helps! Or in short...if you use a front-end bra...don't procrastinate!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

"Any kind of bra is for traveling only, the longer you leave it on when not traveling the more issues will crop up. (dust & dirt accumulating underneath will act as sandpaper on the paint, wetness/dampness will begin to cloud the paint with a film, sunshine will gradually fade all of your paint "except" that covered by the bra...therefore you get like a tan-line effect.)"

All true. I would prolly have left it off but Wifey really likes the look so I leave it on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I like the look, too, Tom. Maybe it's something about Bren's...

I do have a trip to Nebraska in December and then on to Virginia in January, so it will definately pay for itself on the cross-country trip.

In the mean time, I'll probably do the critical first-time-no-bubble install and ride it 'til it's formed, then remove it for daily driving.

I have this to add. If you are going to put the bra on, it is a good idea to wax that area first. The bra sort of stuck to the paint, and I couldn't remove the faded look no matter what I did. So I think waxing will help in this area. I didn't do this and I got fading and hundreds of bubbles on my bra. To make a long story short, I liked the way the bra looked on the VX. I went ahead and used Line-X where the magnetic bra used to be.

BTW-Bob is a stand up guy. I had an issue with my first bra I bought, and he replaced it for me. I have nothing but good things to say about Bob and his product.

Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Where will you be in VA? I'm at Fort Belvoir.

On-Off-On-Off-On-Off-On-Off ... not my cup-o-tea. Storage is always an issue.

Does anyone have a magnetic bra installed on a VX with the headlight perimeter rubbers in place? Any issues with the retaining trim pushing down/separating the headlight seals?
    Yes, my seals are coming off now after bra installation. You can re-cement them with rubber cement or use stronger(but harder to remove/reapply) silicone.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    Yes, my seals are coming off now after bra installation. You can re-cement them with rubber cement or use stronger(but harder to remove/reapply) silicone.
    definitely wax first.. i would even get a "real" wax and not a synthetic liquid one to put on there.. i did that and have had no trouble at all leaving my bra on for 1-2 months at a time

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Thanks for the install tricks. I have a few nicks to take care of in the front ('just got my touch-up paint in the mail yesterday) and I will re-polish and triple wax the front snout.

Tom, I'm going to be at Norfolk to attend a class from mid-January to mid-March. We'll have to link-up at some point. That's all you need, a Bren stereo. Take care.

Cool - I'm sure my Bren is much better lookin tho.

There's a member in the Norfolk or Virginia Beach area I think but can't remember who.

Originally Posted by Ascinder

definitely wax first.. i would even get a "real" wax and not a synthetic liquid one to put on there.. i did that and have had no trouble at all leaving my bra on for 1-2 months at a time
    I waxed my hood and the bra has been an absolutely trouble free, flawless installation. We were talking (in my above quote)about the rubber headlight gasket/moulding material being squashed by the trim strip that goes around the magnetic bra.

I installed the Magnetbra this evening.

There were a few small production blemishes, one outside and a glob of the underside rubbery stuff on the vehicle side. I “fed” the trim instead of stretching it and made tight corners by heating up the trim well.

Both edging trim ends were an uneven rough cut and required pruning. I used a “penny-cutter” pair of scissors to slice through the trim with its metal strips, then dabbed flat black paint on the ends to mask where the steel strips showed on the cut edges.

You have a choice at the ends, to flush with the end of the bra, with top point of the edge trim sticking out further than the bra, or backing off a few millimeters so the top point of the edge trim is flush with the edge of the bra. I chose the latter.

The key is heat. Have a sterile flat area to heat the bra before introduction to the vehicle; run the vehicle so that the hood is warm; clean and wax while warm; prop the hood up with a block of wood, etc.

I will not leave it on for long, just for a few upcoming trips and to form the bra and trim. The creases created when you make hard corners are obvious moisture receptacles. I think if I leave the bra on for a washing or after a rain, I’ll blow those creases out with the air compressor. Thanks for the tips and I’m very pleased with the result.