Thread: clicking during turning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

clicking during turning

i recently started getting a clicking sound from under the VX when i make sharp slow turns (u turns and parking) ive only heard it when turning to the left... i think it started happening after offroading, seems to drive normally in every other aspect... just had alignment done, rear was fine front was pretty far off but is now within spec... i checked my CVs they looked fine i didnt see tears or anything i did notice oil of some kind on my tie rods (on the end away from the wheels) on both the driver and passenger side that im not sure where it came from, so i cleaned up that area and will keep an eye out for any more showing up

any ideas??

... had my sister drive it in circles while i watched/listened and i noticed it seemed to happen only when the turn started then went away until the wheels were straightened out, the vx was driven a couple yards then when the wheel was cut hard over again the tick tick tick tick tick sound would come back and go away after 75-90 degrees of turning

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Warm up the wrenches...time for CVs (or axles if you choose)Your time has come.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper
    Warm up the wrenches...time for CVs (or axles if you choose)Your time has come.
    Mine does the same. I am installing new tie rods to narrow done possibilities, and sway bar disconnects. I can do this myself. If not that then I will need to get CV joints rebuilt. IMO it is my tie rods...
    face the mirror

oh i hope i hope its tie rods!! ive been looking for an excuse to get HD tie rods from indy 4x... not really sure why tie rods would click? but oh man i would love if that was my problem... i was also thinking i wonder if it has somethin to do with my diffs.. cause its been stupid hot recently so ill have to check all my fluid levels, its been about 5k miles since i checked them so might as well... oh how i hope its not my CVs... as much as i like workin on my vx i cant help but dread tearing everything down based on what ive heard about cv replacement

As far as I know tie rods and sway bars will not cause a clicking noise. You may also want to check and see if there is anything hitting the tire in the wheel well or maybe the cladding. It may only rub at certain times in the turn. You could have "re-aligned" you cladding while off roading.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

clicking

I notice on my VX when I accelerate quickly I get a clicking noise but I don't think it's continueous. You guys think it's the CV joints starting to go I noticed it after installing the larger tires

Andy
    Andy C
    01 Firefox VX
    CT

I have started hearing a clicking noise when turning tight left, but only when I'm in 4wd low. When I'm not locked in 4wd, all is fine. Should I start saving for outer cv's or be looking into something else? I can picture the sound as ball bearings hitting each other, but like I said, I don't hear it any other time but when 4 low, and turning hard left. Hard right, and I'm fine....

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaVX View Post
    I have started hearing a clicking noise when turning tight left, but only when I'm in 4wd low. When I'm not locked in 4wd, all is fine.
    When driving in 4WL, are you on a hard solid surface like pavement or concrete when you hear the clicking sound??? Since power is split 50/50 in 4WL, it is always best to ONLY use 4WL on loose surfaces like gravel, soft dirt, grass, snow, sand, etc to allow normal slippage of the tires when turning as the inner tire track will take less travel distance than the outer tire track.

If you are experiencing the clicking noise while on a hard solid surface (pavement/concrete), then switch back over to normal TOD high-range and venture out to an off-road location (gravel road, grass, sand, etc) and then switch-over to 4WL once your VX is completely on the softer road surface. Perform your tight left turns on the loose road surface and see if you still hear the same clicking noise in 4WL. If you don't hear it clicking anymore, then your VX is telling you it doesn't like to be in 4WL while on a hard solid surface like pavement/concrete (so don't do it anymore). If you still hear it, then I'm baffled too.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    If you don't hear it clicking anymore, then your VX is telling you it doesn't like to be in 4WL while on a hard solid surface like pavement/concrete (so don't do it anymore). If you still hear it, then I'm baffled too.
    Axle clicking is always due to CV wear, brand new CVs will not click in 4lo on any surface. The click is caused by wear between the inner & outer race that allows the bearing enough space to slip between the races in the sound of a "click." In TOD mode, the transfer case has little or no power to the front wheels when making tight turns (at low speed) and not enough to cause bearing to slip. 4lo is a great way to check a suspect CV issue and I agree to never use 4lo on dry payment.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    4 lo clicking is a good way to verify a CV issue. It wouldn't hurt to get a spare before it gets worse.

Also, check the boots for rips.

Mine does it too, in the grass/dirt whatever, when I turn really sharp. Has for a while. Boots are intact, barely. I'll be replacing them soon enough, and regreasing the CV's.