Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Switching Front Seats

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Switching Front Seats

I think one or two people may have done this already, or had the dealership do it, but it doesn't seem like it would be too hard. My seats are in good shape, but I would like to switch them from side to side before my drivers side seat gets too worn. I took the passenger seat out a few weeks ago, and it looks like switching the slide rails would be easy to do. The only problem I see is the passenger side release that allows it to slide forward for access to the rear seat. I know the slide is taken care of by the rails, but I can't figure out how, or where, the cable that runs up into the back of the seat connects. Has anyone done the switch themselves? Advice? Instructions?
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Lightbulb

Maybe just switch em' & access the rear seat from the drivers side?

Steering wheel keeps the seat from folding completely foreward - limiting access to the rear.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

who needs back seats anyway lol i took mine out so i would have a place for the subs.

Just bought a VX New Beetle to save gas on my commute - somebody needs to figure out how to use the seat tracks from those in a VX! The seat bottom lifts and the whole seat folds forward - GREATLY increasing the ability to get into the back seat. I also saw this on a 2dr BMW. Getting into the back seat of the VX is an acrobatic endeavor when you're 6'1" and 220#! Actually, it's the getting out that is the worst!
    "If you're not living on the edge --- you're taking up too much space!!"

Seat rail extenders? If you dont have them, get them.

Yeah I'd like to know about lowering the seats too!!!

After 8 years I no longer noticed anymore how ridiculously high the seats are mounted in the VX even though passengers always commented on it but after driving my new Camaro for the summer with its height adjustable seats I now realize what we are missing. The VX feels great if I slouch down in my seat about 2 inches so I don't need any replies from you short guys under 6 foot telling me that yours feels fine :-]

I remember one guy from years ago that lowered his by basically smashing down the floorpan under the seat rails with a hammer and I guess that would probably be the only way to do it but I thought I'd ask in case I missed something else. Is there any other way to lower the seats or does anyone else remember that posting?
    Canadian VXer!

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Thats why I like the vehicross......cuz I am short waisted and otherwise would need a phone book or something....
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Revisiting. Thought about doing this soon and wonder is there have been any problems for those who did/or didn't do it in 2009. If I had lifting help I would have done it today but couldn't find anyone.

Rod

I swapped my seats a few years ago, as for the uneven wear, I think it is because the driver has the steering wheel to pull himself into the truck, so less sliding across the seat. Just a thought. Swapping them was easy, and while they are out, take a sledge hammer and bang that rear lip flush with the seat so you can actually reach under the seat from the rear. I keep ice scraper, first aid kit etc under there Also allows you to easily disconnect the TOD computer, and connect it back if you are going to drive on snowy roads and want TOD back on.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

What does disconnecting the TOD do? and can you just connect and unconnect it? The reason I ask is last month I flatted and had to use the spare. Holy! I thought I was going to explode my drive train!

Wink

It turns off the tod computer so in theory makes it real 2wd, although the prop shafts still spins but not really much loading. If you have manual hubs tod display just flashes up and down all the time. Not anymore, mine is just dark.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn138 View Post
    What does disconnecting the TOD do? and can you just connect and unconnect it? The reason I ask is last month I flatted and had to use the spare. Holy! I thought I was going to explode my drive train!
    Make sure you always have regular tires on the back and the spare on the front. Extra work if your flat is on the back to move a front tire to the back and then put the spare on the front, but it does make a difference.
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

I wish I knew about the tire switching thing when I flatted. It was my rear. I would has done extra work just to not put the truck through that. Also I don't have manual hubs.