Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Switching Front Seats

Switching Front Seats

I think one or two people may have done this already, or had the dealership do it, but it doesn't seem like it would be too hard. My seats are in good shape, but I would like to switch them from side to side before my drivers side seat gets too worn. I took the passenger seat out a few weeks ago, and it looks like switching the slide rails would be easy to do. The only problem I see is the passenger side release that allows it to slide forward for access to the rear seat. I know the slide is taken care of by the rails, but I can't figure out how, or where, the cable that runs up into the back of the seat connects. Has anyone done the switch themselves? Advice? Instructions?
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Lightbulb

Maybe just switch em' & access the rear seat from the drivers side?

Steering wheel keeps the seat from folding completely foreward - limiting access to the rear.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

who needs back seats anyway lol i took mine out so i would have a place for the subs.

Just bought a VX New Beetle to save gas on my commute - somebody needs to figure out how to use the seat tracks from those in a VX! The seat bottom lifts and the whole seat folds forward - GREATLY increasing the ability to get into the back seat. I also saw this on a 2dr BMW. Getting into the back seat of the VX is an acrobatic endeavor when you're 6'1" and 220#! Actually, it's the getting out that is the worst!
    "If you're not living on the edge --- you're taking up too much space!!"

Seat rail extenders? If you dont have them, get them.

Looked into that option - but I don't care for the higher position of the seat, and less travel fore and aft.

How about leaving the tracks where they are and switching the seats only ( of course remove all to switch) Left seat on right track, Right seat on left track...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

the seat tracks are the same from what i can tell.. but there is a cable attached to the passenger seat fold lever that releases the sliding mechanism at the same time.. the problem is finding where that cable attaches to the seat... i looked in the seat disassembly instructions of the vx repair manual... it doesnt show where it attaches though

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

I've swapped mine twice. If I recall correctly, the seat mount rails are NOT the same. The seat has to be swapped to the opposite rail.

The "auto slide" mechanism is in the seat itself so you lose the feature when you swap seats. It will still slide forward and the seat back operates properly, just not "automatically".

Quote Originally Posted by marcosv6
    The seat has to be swapped to the opposite rail.
    So bottom line, how involved is swapping the rails?
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Not hard, just takes some time. Remove both seats, including tracks. Flip upside down, remove 4 bolts/seat and swap over. I believe the bolts are 1/2" but it takes some movement of the tracks forward and back to be able to remove the bolts. I didn't notice any height difference.

One odd observation: the passenger seat wears much faster than the drivers seat with everyday use. Coincidence ?

Don

Not hard, just takes some time. Remove both seats, including tracks. Flip upside down, remove 4 bolts/seat and swap over. I believe the bolts are 1/2" but it takes some movement of the tracks forward and back to be able to remove the bolts. I didn't notice any height difference.

One odd observation: the passenger seat wears much faster than the drivers seat with everyday use. Coincidence ?

Don

maybe the passenger seat is used less.. so the leather hardens a bit and is more prone to cracking? since the drivers seat is used often the leather stays supple and doesnt crack as easily... be sure to condition the leather often to keep it from cracking!

Don

Don: If your not the original owner maybe they were switched before..food for thought

"Looked into that option - but I don't care for the higher position of the seat, and less travel fore and aft."

Raque,

I put in the Tone's seat extenders and love them. I didn't notice any appreciable height difference even though I know it's there. Maybe I'm just less sensitive than others to it though because I've heard others with that complaint. I think the extenders only put the seat about 1/2 inch higher.

The seat extenders won't affect seat travel fore and aft. The extenders just move the whole mechanism several inches forward so the travel remains the same. The only thing you lose is how far back you can adjust the seat and that hasn't been an issue for us.