Thread: Odometer sensor or cluster?....

Question Odometer sensor or cluster?....

What to do about the speedo???
    After hubby working on the electrical it works about 70 % of the time. It bounces frequently. I think the sensor is about $300 to fix, the cluster is $500. Both sound plausible. Money aside, how does one tell? My Honda-freak friend says if I get the cluster fixed and it's the speed sensor, It won't be fixed.

This has been mentioned I think by a few people (I posted Trudy's response):
    Oh, and my money's on a speed sensor in the trans being your speedo problem. my 30 years with Ford Motor Company leads me there. I would think that the axle and wheel sensors would be more tied to the TOD & antilock brake systems. But, the Japanese never cease to amaze me with their ingenuity. Why do you think I drove a Trooper my last 6 years with Ford?

Do I believe the dealership? After the $100 diagnostic they say I need to replace the entire gauge cluster ($500) to fix the speedo. They say they have to get one from out of the country. Is the diagnostic a guarantee?
    <shrug>?

Anyone?

a member here said he was having issues with his gauge cluster that were caused by a loose screw on the back of the cluster.... not sure how that works but could have also just been than when the cluster was pulled out and disconnected then put back together wires that werent quite sitting right were put back into place and fixed the problem.. id take the thing apart as far as you dare (dont break anything of course!) looking for anything strange.. then put it back together and see if that helps..

as for the dealer i would ask them up front what they will do if they replace a part that doesnt need replacing... maybe a refund on the new part at very least?

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Yeah i had a fuel guage that would work sometimes and sometimes not and i could tap on the dash and it would work and not work, have u tried banging on the top of your dash to see if there is any change? all i did was pull the dash apart and take the cluster out and scoped things out and saw a tiny screw on the circuit board right behind the fuel guage that was hanging by a couple of thread so i snugged it down and no more problem.