Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Flat tire - spare size question

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    yeah spare wants to go on the front.... its even printed on the spare tire itself that you are only supposed to put it on the front and the stock tires are like 1/2" taller than anita's

i KNEW i read that somewhere, and since i dont have an owners manual, i figured i read it on the wheel cover, or a sticker somewhere back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Anita
    Next question: Do I buy another Kumho and run two new tires in the back with the Nittos on front, or do I buy a Nitto and replace the Kumho (leaving the Kumho as an emergency spare)? If the latter, would the truck react to a new Nitto and a used one on the back?
    It is bad for transmission if you have tires with different threads because of different contact with the road, so it is better to order the one you already have on the rest 3 tires and use different thread as instructed for donut. Otherwise you have a chance to kill your limited-slip differential so it become regular open differential or you might have TOD/ABS to fail in some cases.
    2001 Isuzu VehiCROSS (build in progress): 4JX1/A340/part time, 2" body lift, front Aisin hubs, rear Aussie Locker, 4.56 gears, OEM rear sway bar disconnect, AirFlow snorkel, cabin air filter
    1980 Jeep Cherokee (assembling): 1.5" body lift, TBI, HEI
    1987 AMC Eagle: stock

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

Talking

Yesterday, I spoke with my mechanic and he thought it was a bad idea to have tires with very different tread patterns on the truck. The differences of "wander", i.e. how the tire tracks can cause unusual wear on the tires and a potential problem in general for the truck. Replacement Nitto should be coming this week and the Kumho will be placed on my spare rim for emergencies. Thanks to all for good advice and a great discussion about spares.

Epilogue: New Nitto was put on and the whining stopped. All is well with the world. Maybe I am super sensitive to sound but its interesting that same size tires with some difference in tread wear and pattern can create enough change in the mechanism to produce unfamiliar sounds.
    Last edited by Anita : 09/04/2007 at 07:40 AM
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com