Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lifting the VX

Originally posted by Tonka
    Just got my VX all set up! I went with the 912 Old Man Emu springs and they gave me 2.5" of lift in the back (i measured) and the front torsion bars were cranked to match. ! They are the 285/75/16 (32.8") Goodyear MT/R's!!! They look damn good! I now have lots of clearance!
    [
    As you know clearance is a relative term what's good for Moab may not be enough for the Rubicon like trails( read that as big boulders)Sounds good to me I am thinking of 295-75-16s. Can you tell us how much trimming was necessary & also most important what is the measurement from the ground to bottom of XFER CASE or its cross member??
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

My front is trimmed just a little but from a previous size tire with aftermarket rims. So i would say a little trim is needed up front but nothing major, about 5 min worth if at all. No trimming in the back at all. Probably could fit 34" if they made them. (Using stock rims.)

Yes, GB, i know, but relative to before i had the lift i have a lot! I will measure tonight and post the numbers and more pics.

I was hoping to get at least 39's under mine, but on the vx you need more suspension lift than 3". When trying to size up tires, the front bumper mount welded to frame is in way. I think I'm gonna run only 35's but at least 15" wide. Might have to cut out wheel wells and have new ones made, or just punch them in. If you cut your wheels in you'll notice how close those brackets are.
    I always take life with a grain of salt. Plus mashed potatoes and gravy!

Originally posted by Green Dragon
    Can you tell us how much trimming was necessary & also most important what is the measurement from the ground to bottom of XFER CASE or its cross member??
    Some trim is probably needed up front, none in the back. I now have pictures in my gallery with the measurements. The VX now stands about 5'11" tall.

39's?????;eekg; good luck! you'll be cutting plastic, then metal 3+" body lift + 3+"suspension lift. Plus relocate the front axle, and it still probably won't clear the tops of the fenders. I think it's doable, but mannnn you are talking about alot of work to do it right. GO FOR IT!
    Its the thrill of the chase

Talking Thanks for ALL THE GREAT REPLY's

I can't thank you all enough for the pic's, details, etc. I have always heard that the VX Owners are like family. Although I have been riding my VX for 3 years, I have not taken the time to become part of the family and meet many of you at future Isuzu outings.

Final comments: I am going with OME912's, RS9000x Rancho shocks with remote, the 285/75/16 GoodYear MT/R's. Any recommendation as to where I can purchase the OME's. I already purchased the Rancho's for 209 from the referred site. Is the remote worth it? Any comments welcomed.

LAST NOTE: I live in NC and would love to follow someone wheelin' sometime. I have taken a jeep and truck through pretty narly trails, and have taken the Isuzu on small little test runs (like bouldering, for any rockclimbers out there). I can learn fast! IN ADDITION TO THAT< I will soon be moving to Utah> I hope to interact with you VX lovers in Moab or something. My wife and I are looking forward to all the fun.

TONKA, where did you put your CD Changer?
    -The Rave-
    North Carolina

Got rid of my CD changer as it kept busting on me. Just went with an aftermarket Sony w/sub.

Went to WY this weekend on a camping trip and played on some bumpy trails. Got the MT/R's to rub some when one tire was way up into the fender while turning going over a hill. I'm going to do some hacking soon.

You can get the 912 springs here at www.independent4x.com, but there is another site you can get them cheaper by about $20?

Happy Trails!
    Last edited by Tonka : 06/17/2003 at 11:19 AM

Talking Your VX is awesome

Thanks TONKA. I ordered the springs for $59 ea. from http://www.rocky-road.com/trooper.html. That seemed to be the best deal I could come across.

So, I don't know what "Trimming" the tirewell actually consists of? ANY POINTERS?

Spazz,
    Are the bump stops needed because your wheels will rub on the upper cladding in the rear? Please elaborate!

I will set up some pics what trimming is needed up front soon.

Tonka, so if I go with the OME 912's in the rear, I can crank up the stock front torsion bars enough to level things out? Can I keep the stock remote res. shocks as well (is the travel enough on them) or does OME offer the remote res. LTR shocks for the VX? In short, to get 3" over stock, all I need is the 912's inback, crank up the front, and get a front alignment?

Thanks!
    Mike Skurich
    1969 C3 Corvette Coupe
    1988 C4 Corvette Coupe
    1992 Misubishi 3000GT VR4
    1997 BMW F650ST
    2001 VehiCROSS
    2002 BMW R1100S
    2005 C6 Corvette Coupe

Neither of those attached sites work, are the 912's still available? Well, got into the Rocky-Road one, they listed 913's for an Amigo but with only 1" lift (actually might be closer to what I want), will the Amigo springs work?

I measured before and after and you only get about 2.5" of lift not 3". The Calmini lift will give the full 3". But that is all i did, new springs in back, crank torsion bars in front, got an alignment. And those torsion bars can be cranked quite a bit. I was able to fit 285/75/16's (33") with very little trimming with STOCK 16" wheels (I will be doing some more trimming for the rubbing during major articulation). I also did not change my shocks at all. I think it still rides fine. Others might change them out for a better ride. Keep them and see what you think and if you want to chage them, then do.

If you only want about 1" of lift www.independent4x.com sells 1" and 2" coil spacers and you can crank the tortion bars up front to match. However, new OLD MAN EMU springs only cost a little bit more.

Weird, i could not get the link to work either. It does work if you type it in manually.

'01, Dragon Mica Green NO MORE, 1393 SOLD
    The links don't work because the punctuation marks (',' and '.') are included in the link. Edit the post and relocated the punctuation marks so that they are outside of the [link]http://www.somewhere.com[/link] should fix it.

So the 912's for a Trooper net you about 2.5" increase in the rear (not the 1.25" listed)??? Has anyone tired the 913's listed for a Amigo at 1" increase? I guess 1.5" would be ideal for me, since I still do some highway driving, but want the lifted look. I would sooner get the springs than the spacers (I've used OME on a Landcruiser with great results), just want a little less than 2.5".

Even though we share many things with the Trooper, i am guessing that the stock VX springs are shorter than the stock Trooper springs and that is why there is more lift with after market springs. I am sure that the Amigo/Rodeo stock springs are also a different size and who knows how much lift you will get with the 913 springs. I don't know of anyone with a VX with the 913, but the site on this page:

http://www.independent4x.com/item.html?PRID=1027874

seems to show that the 913 might give you less lift or none at all. If you check out the listings of coils to choose from on the bottom of the page it also gives the amount of lift of each coil. The 913's seem to give about an inch less than the 912's. Check it out! I too love my OME springs, much better than stock.

(Thanks Paul! Got it to work!)