Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: last minute TIRE ADVICE (for AR chambers)

Here is the post on the Pirate forum.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Wow, those new BFGs are beefy. It will be a tough decision for me. My A/Ts are wearing really nicely, so it will be a while for me, but I am definitely down with some M/Ts next time around...

Bart

I'm actually having a hard time NOT picking out some M/T's just for the look of it!
    Especially those Geolandars.

I looked at some Yoko A/T II's yesterday and I think it's down to them, Terra's, or Revo's.

Is ply the only difference in P rated as opposed to LT?

I noticed that a set of Revo's that were 265/70/16 were P rated, yet a set in /75/ were LT. The guy explained that they were 6 layers as opposed to 3(?), and they had stronger sidewalls.

Is it a no-brainer to go with the LT's?
    I'm not considering the P rated, just curious...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by cyronman
    Is it a no-brainer to go with the LT's?
    I'm not considering the P rated, just curious...
    Yeah, no brainer indeed...I wouldn't recommend putting "Passenger" rated tires on a "Light Truck" that weighs in around 4000 lbs.

Well, there might be a couple people on my long list I would recommend it to...but that's another subject.

i have the bridgestone dueller m/t's been pretty happy, no complaints. oh and there not very loud when your on the road.
    My cow died last night ......so I don't need your bull!

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub
    I've had both REVO's & Terra Grapplers & liked them both. I think the REVO's have an advantage in the snow, & the Terra Grapplers were quieter on the highway. Of the two, my preference is slightly in favor of the Nittos.
    Ldub-
    any preference on flat out nice weather, dry asphalt/highway?

It looks like it's coming down to these 2...

thanx

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Ldub-
    any preference on flat out nice weather, dry asphalt/highway?

It looks like it's coming down to these 2...

thanx
    Nitto

well then

Last question...?

So I just got back from the tire shop, had them test fit a 265/75/16 on the VX, and the 0 offset of the Chambers makes it a CLOSE call on the rear of the front wheelwell. It looked minimal to me, but the techs advised against it.
    The look was eXactly what I want, and dang I got tingles seeing the Chamber on there for the first time.

So now, do I just pout and find something that fits ( a /70/ or a 245 even) even though the selection dwindles.
    Or just how well does the hammer trick work?
    Or will trimming work, it's just a bunch of plastic right?

I'm getting my search on as we speak...

You can only trim so much plastic on the rear...then its time for the BFH
    If you remove the cladding you can easily see the metal behind the cladding, Knock it back a bit then reattach the cladding, trim as needed and *presto*!

The teflon Chambers are REALLY nice man. They clean up so easily and always look new. I am running 245s and I only trimmed a smidge off the corner in the front cladding. 265s might put you over.

But damn, the Teflon Chambers were made for the VX. Simply put, I think they are the finest looking rim ever available.

Bart

So I just got back from the tire shop, had them test fit a 265/75/16 on the VX, and the 0 offset of the Chambers makes it a CLOSE call on the rear of the front wheelwell. It looked minimal to me, but the techs advised against it.
    The look was eXactly what I want, and dang I got tingles seeing the Chamber on there for the first time.

So now, do I just pout and find something that fits ( a /70/ or a 245 even) even though the selection dwindles.
    Or just how well does the hammer trick work?
    Or will trimming work, it's just a bunch of plastic right?

I'm getting my search on as we speak...

Has any one ever put them on an astral yet? I would really like to get them someday and interested to see what they look like.

I think they look good on any color, except maybe the Green;
    not enough contrast.

But you have to de-badge.

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete
    You can only trim so much plastic on the rear...then its time for the BFH
    If you remove the cladding you can easily see the metal behind the cladding, Knock it back a bit then reattach the cladding, trim as needed and *presto*!
    I just removed my wheel well liner the night before last to get a better look at what needs to be removed, or folded over. It was so very easy to remove the liner. The cladding doesn't need to be removed at all - but I am not sure if that is what you meant or not, Billy...?

I am sure you could fit that rim and tire combo, cyronman. I have 275/65-18's (32"x11") waiting to be fitted to my VX. My rims are 18x8.5 with 0 offset, for your info. I am going to make them clear with the 2.5" lift I have so I don't have to lift it anymore than that. I will take pics of what I am doing tonight or tomorrow.
    Last edited by ZEUS : 09/07/2007 at 05:40 PM Reason: typed the wrong tire size
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS
    I just removed my wheel well liner the night before last to get a better look at what needs to be removed, or folded over. It was so very easy to remove the liner. The cladding doesn't need to be removed at all - but I am not sure if that is what you meant or not, Billy...?

I am sure you could fit that rim and tire combo, cyronman. I have 265/75-18's (32"x11") waiting to be fitted to my VX. My rims are 18x8.5 with 0 offset, for your info. I am going to make them clear with the 2.5" lift I have so I don't have to lift it anymore than that. I will take pics of what I am doing tonight or tomorrow.

Zeus,
    I'd appreciate it.
    I'm going to go crawl under it right now and get a look at it myself. I've been glued to tirerack and google since I got home.

man, the tread barely rubbed that back corner, although it wasn't a brand new tire, so factory tread would be even a smidge higher. But what the techs were talling me is that even with getting it to clear, it still has the probability of hitting that corner with the tire moving up & down (driving on uneven surfaces).
    It's not that much different from stock though...

There's that word again....................."lift"