Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: last minute TIRE ADVICE (for AR chambers)

Don't think lift yet! You could crank on the tosion bars a bit to remove the rake a little which gives a little more aggressive offroad stance, IMO. If you want those tires, I say go for it. I looked at my VX again before coming back to work tonight (60 to 65 hour work week). It looks to me like you could gain 2.5" clearance by trimming and hammering - you wouldn't need near that much room for those 30" tires! I took a couple pics already but will have to post them later...
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

I will be doing a LOT of trimming to the front of my cladding when I do my SAS since I want to move the front axle forward to fit 35's with as little lift as possible to keep a low center of gravity. Might have to do a little BFH work to the rear of the front cladding also...so it will be good to see your pics Zeus.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I added some pics to my gallery that might give you some ideas. Check it out if you want - more to come as I progress. Cy, keep in mind, my cladding has been trimmed for over a year. I trimmed the liner as well, but the pics show it removed. This trim job is all I needed to fit 31.6" tires on 8.5" rims w/0 offset and a torsion crank up to 1". Like I said though, you should be golden with 30's and a 0 offset - I cranked my t-bars, but you should not have to if you remove enough plastic and a bit of metal... I seriously doubt you would need to do any hammering. FYI, I used a sawzall with a long blade (small teeth) and made one single straight cut per side.

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS
    I added some pics to my gallery that might give you some ideas. Check it out if you want - more to come as I progress.

Like I said though, you should be golden with 30's and a 0 offset - I cranked my t-bars, but you should not have to if you remove enough plastic and a bit of metal
    Thanks for the pics. I got a good idea yesterday when I crawled underneath to look at what needs to disappear.
    I don't think I'll need to crank either.

I know I'm being really stubborn about sticking with this size but I just know it should work. I'm DETERMINED!
    It just seems like options are really limited for thinner tires, although it seems the "right" thing to do.
    I see a lot of 245/70's but most are P and not LT.
    How can an SUV tire be P rated, are they for much lighter/smaller SUV's?

Clock is ticking...I'd like to have these on in time for my road trip next Friday.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Get the load rating from the sidewall, if it's anything over 1000 lbs. you should be OK.

I've always been prone to error on the side of strength/safety at the cost of extra weight & $.

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn
    Has any one ever put them on an astral yet? I would really like to get them someday and interested to see what they look like.

CrnCnn..You might checkout the Incubus 511's, they really go good with the silver and cladding, the best of both worlds. I've had nothing but complements where ever I go on them.. And at $100 a wheel at my door even a better reason...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

So,
    it looks like I'm going with these Yokohamas.
    p 265/70/16
    They'll be in tomorrow, and it'll run less than $550 to drive away from the shop, with a used tire for the 5th wheel.

I really wanted to try the Nittos or even the Geolandar MTs, but I've been slammed at work all week and didn't want to start hacking and slicing underneath there if I couldn't get it right in time. Although I'm sure it wouldn't take that much.
    Maybe next time, eh Zeus?

Thankx for all the advice and input, I will put up pics this weekend.

Cy

So much for being determined, eh! All kidding aside, it's your choice. I bet you will envision the Nittos everytime you walk out of the grocery store and see your VX from a distance though! Then you'll think to yourself... maybe if I sell these tires with the amount of tread they have now I can get the Nittos. Teehee... the seed has been planted - go bigger!