Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: VX Towing

My cow died last night ......so I don't need your bull!

Quote Originally Posted by bigkoala1
    See, you cant throw up a pic of a muddy VX with a "dirty" girl. Then post a pic of a VX all shiny with a boat and no bikinis

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn
    See, you cant throw up a pic of a muddy VX with a "dirty" girl. Then post a pic of a VX all shiny with a boat and no bikinis
    next time!

i think the truck is clean because it rained. it does that once in a while down here!

"Whenever I am backing up a hill with a trailer I use 4 LO."

Not good. There may be enough slip built into the transfer case in 4 LO but I would NEVER risk using it on dry pavement (especially with the tight manuevering in backing up a boat).

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren

Not good. There may be enough slip built into the transfer case in 4 LO but I would NEVER risk using it on dry pavement (especially with the tight manuevering in backing up a boat).

thank you
    so its better just to rev up the motor to get it to move than to putin low gear?

In a straight line, it would be fine to use 4 Low. The sharp turns on dry pavement is the real problem here. If you can manuveur your VX to be straight with the boat before you start backing up the hill then put it in 4 Low, it should be fine.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

backing in a strait line isnt the problem. turning and backing is when it seems to get stuck . that when I have to get on it alittle just to get it to move.

thank you for your input.

next time!

i think the truck is clean because it rained. it does that once in a while down here!

Im guessing it rains tire shine and cloths and places them behind your front tires too? Thats awesome, I know where Im moving to now.

Your VX looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren

We do it at work all the time with big boats and hills you have no choice. I have done it with my vx no issues. Do any of you use 4 lo when offroad on rocks ,maybe MOAB , same thing. Just don't drive down the road going 45 mph on dry pavement. shawn
    1COOLVX

Quote Originally Posted by psychos2
    We do it at work all the time with big boats and hills you have no choice. I have done it with my vx no issues. Do any of you use 4 lo when offroad on rocks ,maybe MOAB , same thing. Just don't drive down the road going 45 mph on dry pavement. shawn
    I know what you are saying, but the difference is we are very light on the go pedal and the tires do chirp to slip. With some power behind it... I'm not sure what would happen and don't care to find out. But if you back up all the time in 4-low there must not be any issue. With that said, I have backed a few trailers myself and only use 4-low when the trailer just won't move. No explosions at those times, and that is when there is the most resistance. Soo...

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS
    I know what you are saying, but the difference is we are very light on the go pedal and the tires do chirp to slip. With some power behind it... I'm not sure what would happen and don't care to find out. But if you back up all the time in 4-low there must not be any issue. With that said, I have backed a few trailers myself and only use 4-low when the trailer just won't move. No explosions at those times, and that is when there is the most resistance. Soo...
    They do the same thing when on dry pavement. shawn

Quote Originally Posted by psychos2
    They do the same thing when on dry pavement. shawn

so the bottom line is, dont put in low gear to back up unless your stuck?

so the bottom line is, dont put in low gear to back up unless your stuck?

I put it in lo when backing up with a trailer on pavement or not. shawn

If I were to tow a small trailer with say, a Polaris Rzr or a quad, would I need a tranny cooler?
    Need, probably not, but......you do live in Nevada and tranny coolers are super affordable insurance(like $50)vs. a new tranny($$$$$$$$$). Also when doing research for a prop speed reduction unit(airplane tranny) I am designing, I talked to quite a few transmission guru guys and they all said that the cooler you keep the xmsn fluid, the longer your transmission will last. The benefits were really staggering. The temperature affects the transmissions life on an exponential level. I have thinking about this mod myself, but I currently have some seriously epic projects on the horizon that would negate the effects. They are however easy as hell to install(think brackets to hold the cooler and a hose connection). A good idea would be to either rig up some active cooling(fan) or build up a well designed air intake/exhaust shroud to help cool it. Otherwise you are just adding surface area to your trans. which while it does work, really only works very little.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.