Thread: Opinions on Polk Audio Speakers?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Opinions on Polk Audio Speakers?

Any thoughts on the MOMO and db series 6.5 inch speakers to replace the OEM VX ones and 5 inch ones? Anyone here have these with stock OEM deck?

I got Polk's to put in my wife's Eclipse. Haven't put them in yet but so far they work great (Heh Heh).

I haven't heard of anyone that upgraded speakers without upgrading the rest of the system.

Look on the right side of the home page (near bottom) there is a "how to" section. ETLSport posted directions on replacing the rear speakers. Rumor has it that it's a real PIA.
    Last edited by tom4bren : 09/10/2007 at 01:57 PM

hey, check out pioneer priemier TS-C720PRS the woofer fits in the doors fantastic. and they have great Frequency Response ,35Hz - 32KHz but, as goes with all speakers, a upgraded head unit and amp makes all the difference!
    My cow died last night ......so I don't need your bull!

Question

I am seeking the best speakers for my application. I just seek clear, crisp sound with goood volume control. I do not play music tht requires tremendous base adn have never dove into upgrading my stock stuff ever. I am green as they come to car audio. I am only ghoing to upgrade since all my stock VX speakers have blown in the past month. I have many questions to attempt to make a good choice. Example:

Does my deck need have a certain a ceertain power output to match speaker outut etc.?
    What watt speakers do I need?
    What watt deck?
    Do I need a amp? or can a deck with anough power push the speakers?
    Do I need a small sub like a 8 or 10 inch iif my four other speakers are all two ways?

Quote Originally Posted by VXNIT
    I am seeking the best speakers for my application. I just seek clear, crisp sound with goood volume control. I do not play music tht requires tremendous base adn have never dove into upgrading my stock stuff ever. I am green as they come to car audio. I am only ghoing to upgrade since all my stock VX speakers have blown in the past month. I have many questions to attempt to make a good choice. Example:

Does my deck need have a certain a ceertain power output to match speaker outut etc.?
    What watt speakers do I need?
    What watt deck?
    Do I need a amp? or can a deck with anough power push the speakers?
    Do I need a small sub like a 8 or 10 inch iif my four other speakers are all two ways?

In my opinion you are not going to get "tremendous bass" out of any pair of 6.5's

as far as your deck is concerned, if its stock it has a very limited amout of power. the stock paper speakers didnt need alot of power to move them.

most new decks push around 50 watts a channel max. thats about 25watts rms *4. if you want to get amps you need a deck with rca outputs. the cheaper ones have front and sub outputs at around 2 volts. the nicer head units have front/rear/sub outputs, and the voltage goes up depending on the model. with amplifiers the higher the voltage through the rca's the more efficient the amp can operate.

you will notice a difference in sound just from upgrading the deck. start there with better speakers. and see if you like it,... if you dont you can always add an amp to the speakers later.

as far as the sub goes. a 8-10" woofer will add alot of sound to the car in the same way your woofer in your home does on a dolby 5.1 sysem. alot of companies make a self contained woofer/box/amp. thats relativly easy to install, and they add a nice touch to the sound in a car. infinity has a basslink system that Ive heard before. its not bad for the money. the sub will also play a lower Frequency than the coax will play.

it has been a couple of years, but, i have always gotten good sound out of polks.
    i liked them alot, and had bought several pairs of their speakers, and subs.
    ive got to get back into the audio stuff too. dig thru what amps i got again, and see what i can do,or what i need..
    good luck