Thread: My biggest fan...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Update: a simpler method

As summer rolled around, and my truck has started overheating again, this was becoming somewhat urgent. Cutting into the housing to install the Painless kit wasn't an option, as I didn't want to have to drain the radiator fluid to avoid getting metal shavings in the coolant. Unfortunately the painless kit requires that you cut into the metal b/c the outer sleeve the thermostat sits in also grounds the unit. I figured instead I'd cut the upper radiator hose into 2, go to Lowes and pick up some appropriate diameter piping, drill a hole in the piping to stick the thermostat in, and clamp the ends of the radiator hose to the pipe, and call it a day. Oh, and that I'd have to drill an add'l hole into the pipe to run a ground strap to the engine.

Fast forward to today, after I spent $18.xx to pick up the pieces. Tossing about installation ideas w/a friend, we came to the conclusion that the Painless kit really isn't necessary, as the truck's fan is on all the time anyway, so why not wire an electric fan to be on all the time, too? My search lead me to use the phrase, "isuzu electric fan conversion", which lead me to this thread http://www.itocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16473, which lead me to this site http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-Fan.asp?MID=4 and more specifically, these:

Exactly what I was envisioning. So, I'll be taking the Lowes stuff back, and if I can find someone stateside making these, I'll be picking one up. If not, I'll be ordering one of these adapters.

I'm also going to looking at having brackets fabbed up so that anyone else wanting to use the Caravan fan setup will have a bolt-on option.

Edit: found 'em!

http://prosportgauges.com/water-temp...e-adaptor.aspx

It even has the extra screw in the piece to run a ground strap to the frame.

Edit, Edit: If you check ebay using the term "radiator hose adapter" you can find the adapter + clamps for ~$10.00

If attempting this mod, you will need the 38mm adapter.
    Last edited by eternal21 : 05/31/2011 at 09:02 AM