View Poll Results: Do you use the e-brake when parking the VX?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • All the time

52 46.85%
  • When I'm on a hill

27 24.32%
  • Never

32 28.83%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: using the e-brake

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by castigan
    yea... i mean..emergecny brake? id like to know when would be the emergency that would deem the time to apply that brake!!!!

When you wanna go in the other direction, NOW...

Quote Originally Posted by castigan
    yea... i mean..emergecny brake? id like to know when would be the emergency that would deem the time to apply that brake!!!!
    When your pedal goes to the floor and nothing happens....early E-Brakes grabbed the driveshaft itself.

yep... part of my driving lessons required to get my md license was i had to stop the car without using the brake pedal (pretending a brake line broke or something and the brake pedal didnt respond) good skill to have just in case

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

The only time that I used the handbrake as an emergency brake was when my altenator went bad & I had to drive 45 miles home on battery juice. I used the handbrake as much as possible so my brakelights wouldn't come on & waste the limited supply I had (& no radio or A/C). Most of the trip was in bumper 2 bumper traffic so it was significant. It worked & I made it but it was a nerve wracking drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper
    When your pedal goes to the floor and nothing happens....early E-Brakes grabbed the driveshaft itself.
    My dad told me about the e-brakes on the giant diesel-electric mining dump trucks. Regular braking was done by running the wheel motors backwards and heating up a big toaster-like resistor bank with the generated electricity. If they ever had to use the friction emergency brakes (I think he called them 'service brakes'), they would more or less burn out after one and only one use.

If you did a panic stop in something that large, you pretty much wrote it off and left it by the side of the road until you could go back and do a brake job on it.

I have always used it. I don't know why, habit i guess...but a good one to have...
    ~*~Cece~*~

- Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

On the Saab, the handbrake connects to the FRONT brakes. This makes the most sense if you actually needed it to stop in an emergency where the hydraulic system had failed.

John C.

I actually used mine today. I was changing a tire.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotsauce View Post
    On the Saab, the handbrake connects to the FRONT brakes. This makes the most sense if you actually needed it to stop in an emergency where the hydraulic system had failed.

John C.
    Boy, that could be an exciting discovery,depending on when it's made. I will remember that little tidbit. Though, I drive just enough Saabs to know where the key goes...and to realize torque steer IS a manly trait! Squirming like a bag of snakes thru each gear, and still twitching at 100mph! Whew!

Quote Originally Posted by castigan View Post
    using park to hold your car on any kind of incline will eventually ruin your trans. use the e-brake... and park....

basically... stop the car.... put it into neutral ... then apply the e-brake.... (handbrake over here) and let your foot off the brake. then stick it into park.... this takes the pressure off park from holding ya car for you.
    During my brief stint as a professional offroad drive instructor at Biltmore Estate

http://www.landrover.com/ca/en/Owner...20Overview.htm

I learned this...
    bring vehicle to stop...engage parking brake...move tranny selector to neutral...release foot brake (by doing this instead of going to neutral first you avoid a situation where you don't (potentially) have control of the vehicle...we were taught to avoid neutral at all times)...go to 'park'.

we were drilled..."The parking brake is the first thing on and the last thing off." (when driving recommences)
    Western North Carolina...
    Veni, Vidi, Velcro
    (I came, I saw, I stuck around)