View Poll Results: Do you use the e-brake when parking the VX?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • All the time

52 46.85%
  • When I'm on a hill

27 24.32%
  • Never

32 28.83%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: using the e-brake

using the e-brake

was talkin to a friend of mine about using the e-brake when parking an automatic, so got curious about how many people use the e-brake when they are parked.. so...who uses it?

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

using park to hold your car on any kind of incline will eventually ruin your trans. use the e-brake... and park....

basically... stop the car.... put it into neutral ... then apply the e-brake.... (handbrake over here) and let your foot off the brake. then stick it into park.... this takes the pressure off park from holding ya car for you.

I agree. course i didnt do the whoel neutral thing btu will now

I was told will ruin transmission. Plus if placing it in park and letting you "park" be ur brake doesnt hurt ur trans then what would it hurt be on cautios<sp> side.

But look @ it this way u ever park on a hill and left in park and ur truck gets the jult to settle??? Well that cant be good. Do the e-brake/hand brake and it wont make that jolt or "settling" (whatever you want to call it) Course be sure to put brake back down when u go.... One too many times have backed up and realized ruh roh brake still on
    "It's not sexual harassment, I am just building up your tolerence"-Dumke

yea i always use mine... pull into the parking spot, with the regular brake fully depressed i pull the e/parking/hand brake... put the car in park then release the regular brake.. ive always been told itll be easier on the transmission to use the hand/parking/e brake... i know if u are on a hill it can be difficult to get the car out of park if you dont use the e brake.. cant be good for the trans!

Use mine all the time when parked. Don't know why...just always have. Also use it a lot when wheeling to lock up the back LSD when a little extra traction is needed to get over an obstacle (poor mans locker)
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

E-brake is definitely misleading, makes people think its for emergencies only.

Im glad this post came around. Everyday I park in front of a gate in my driveway prior to getting into the parking area. Everyday I hear the clunk when coming in and out of park.........Sad part is, the girl actually uses e-brake evertime at the gate and I told her it was stupid.

Oh yeah the gate is on an incline...
    ...I feel slightly stupid now, but hey I was never taught it was for anything else other than emergencies. At least I do feel smart about adding 6 quarts of oil when I do my changes thouhg.

fyi the emergency brakes are also called "PARKING BRAKES".

Using when im on the hill or any roude that not in level. STOP. KEEP PUSHING BRAKE. PULL E-BRAKE. PULL INTO PARK.
    P.s some people asking me sometimes oh wow why you using e-brake its not stick shift and i just laght back lol

Never knew there was a proper etiquette for parking an auto. I have always had manuals. I'll have to get used to pulling that little lever. Thanks for the thread etl.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Emergency brake?????

is that what that lever is for?!?
    im just kidding, but i rarely ever use the e-brake. but when i have, it has been on a hill, for all the right reasons, avoiding the clunk. so in honor of this thread, and my friend etl, when i got gas thismorning, i used it before i put the truck in park!!!
    good post......its all the little things you do that make a vehicle last longer, and this one is on my list now.
    thanks for posting

I used to use the PARKING BRAKE religeously (stick or automatic). Then I spent 7 weeks in Alaska during the winter for work. I was told when I got the rental that under NO circumstances should I use the EMERGENCY BRAKE. It would freeze engaged. It was -20 the day I got there (+60 the day I left). I just never got back in the habit of using the HAND BRAKE ... maybe I should.

Thanks ETL for the thread - interesting stuff. I seriously doubt that it will really make any significant difference on the life of the Tranny but should certainly make life much easier and longer for the shifter linkages.

Have never used it on any of my cars with automatic T. Put many a miles on them and never had a transmission go out on me. I had all the cars for at least 8 years and lived in the North East for the most part with high Mountains It is not a bad idea but the E brack can get stuck in cold weather this happened to me a few times with my stick vehicles, but what can you do there? Transmissions are built tough and wont be damaged by using PARK for Parking of course the E Brake will not be hurt by doing this and it keeps the e brake in shape and lubed for whenyou need it

I use the handbrake alot. When you get the brakes good and hot, then need to stop like at a light, the pads against the rotors can warp them...handbrake. Trailbrake into a corner to get rotation....induce oversteer in loose dirt....lock up the rear...bleed off highway speed without lighting up the brake lights ....oh yeah, and to park

In Florida we do not have many hills. I never use the e-break but after reading this thread, I will start.